HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AMERICA!

2»

Comments

• Planet of SoundPlanet of Sound UK Posts: 616

• sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,774

• on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,770

Funny how slavery, colonialism and imperialism were all brought here by Europeans… especially the British.  

Also…I’m pretty sure the British appreciated our cowboys (now military) and guns during World War II or else you might have typed this post in German. 

We all know America has many warts.  But don’t post here with some air of moral authority that you don’t actually have because of your own country’s awful history of human rights violations. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

Bravo, on2legs, very well stated! I appreciate the back up, as I had told myself I wasn't going to take the bait from negative people here.  Thank you, my friend, and enjoy the remainder of the 4th of July holiday weekend!

• D-DayD-Day Far From Home Posts: 315
    URthekey said:

A day late but wanted to share this cool picture I took last night at the local fireworks and drone show.
    That‘s a great idea good for some things!
  • Travels WithTravels With Posts: 573
    shecky said:

These are amazing!
    “I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
    shecky said:
    Bravo, on2legs, very well stated! I appreciate the back up, as I had told myself I wasn't going to take the bait from negative people here.  Thank you, my friend, and enjoy the remainder of the 4th of July holiday weekend!
    Cheers!
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Planet of SoundPlanet of Sound UK Posts: 616
    on2legs said:

Funny how slavery, colonialism and imperialism were all brought here by Europeans… especially the British.  

Also…I’m pretty sure the British appreciated our cowboys (now military) and guns during World War II or else you might have typed this post in German. 

We all know America has many warts.  But don’t post here with some air of moral authority that you don’t actually have because of your own country’s awful history of human rights violations. 
    It was just a dark comedy sketch, that I thought was funny, rather than a dig.

Though of course, I find patriotism a fairly wild idea, whichever country you are from.  

Of course England played a massive shameful part in the slave trade and it was very lucrative, from providing ships and finance to reaping the reward in terms of product, even if slavery itself has never been legal in England itself (it was of course widely popular in our ‘colonies’ as well).
    edited July 8

Post edited by shecky on
    I was fortunate enough to spend the 4th of July in the Florida Keys and had an amazing time.  Great fireworks and a ton of military flyovers all day.  Good stuff! 

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,418
    shecky said:
    AMERICA! The birthplace of ROCK 'N' ROLL and THE BLUES!
    brought to the US by slavery. but sure, I guess technically it was born in the US. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,177
    The starts & stripes are dead to me! It’s been high jacked by the MAGA cult you can fly it all you want. 
    This is only true if we give it up and let the MAGA folks be the only ones to embrace the flag.  It is a perception, but that's all.  I still have a flag hanging at my house and this year re-registered as a republican just so I could vote not Trump in the primaries.  It was the only thing I could think to do.  I'm in California where you only vote for "your party" in the primaries.
    This is not quite right. A person who is registered in California as "decline to state" (i.e., not registered with any particular party) can request a primary ballot for a particular party. You do not need to change your registration. You just request the ballot for the party in whose primary you wish to vote. I am a "decline-to-state" voter and I requested and voted a Democratic primary ballot. I remain registered as "decline to state." 

And, for the record, there is a lot more on the ballot than the presidency. There was in the primary election, and there will be in November. For those out there who don't like either presidential candidate and are planning on sitting out in November, there are state and local offices at stake as well as local ballot propositions or initiatives depending on where you live. 
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
    shecky said:
    brought to the US by slavery. but sure, I guess technically it was born in the US. 
    Bro… you do know there were slaves in Canada, right?

BF25394 said:
    The starts & stripes are dead to me! It’s been high jacked by the MAGA cult you can fly it all you want. 
    This is only true if we give it up and let the MAGA folks be the only ones to embrace the flag.  It is a perception, but that's all.  I still have a flag hanging at my house and this year re-registered as a republican just so I could vote not Trump in the primaries.  It was the only thing I could think to do.  I'm in California where you only vote for "your party" in the primaries.
    This is not quite right. A person who is registered in California as "decline to state" (i.e., not registered with any particular party) can request a primary ballot for a particular party. You do not need to change your registration. You just request the ballot for the party in whose primary you wish to vote. I am a "decline-to-state" voter and I requested and voted a Democratic primary ballot. I remain registered as "decline to state." 

And, for the record, there is a lot more on the ballot than the presidency. There was in the primary election, and there will be in November. For those out there who don't like either presidential candidate and are planning on sitting out in November, there are state and local offices at stake as well as local ballot propositions or initiatives depending on where you live. 
    This. 

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,253
    I'm not American so I don't know how many years old you pretend this country is. 

"Good night, ladies and gentlemen. Thank you very much."
    on2legs said:
    shecky said:
    yep. wtf does that have to do with my comment?

www.headstonesband.com

Spunkie said:
    I'm not American so I don't know how many years old you pretend this country is. 
    "Pretend"?
    on2legs said:
    shecky said:
    You posted a comment about slavery in someone’s happy birthday America thread.  My comment was completely relevant to your post while your post just seemed to be about ruining someone’s positive thread.  

We all know the awful history of slavery and its harmful impact on people of color.  That’s a relevant discussion in the appropriate thread.  But make sure you mention your own country’s embracement of slavery and maybe also mention the impact of the Indian Act on indigenous people in Canada.  While you certainly have the right to post in any thread you want here, not every thread needs the same people crapping in someone else’s cheerios in thread after thread.  Seriously… some of you guys must be real treats to hang around with in person.  

Apologies to the OP for engaging with people deliberately trying to be negative.  ✌🏻

on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    shecky said:
    You posted a comment about slavery in someone’s happy birthday America thread.  My comment was completely relevant to your post while your post just seemed to be about ruining someone’s positive thread.  

We all know the awful history of slavery and its harmful impact on people of color.  That’s a relevant discussion in the appropriate thread.  But make sure you mention your own country’s embracement of slavery and maybe also mention the impact of the Indian Act on indigenous people in Canada.  While you certainly have the right to post in any thread you want here, not every thread needs the same people crapping in someone else’s cheerios in thread after thread.  Seriously… some of you guys must be real treats to hang around with in person.  

Apologies to the OP for engaging with people deliberately trying to be negative.  ✌🏻
    my comment wasn't about slavery directly, it was that america wasn't really the "birthplace" of the blues. they "stole" it. I can't stand how some americans claim ownership of things they stole. that's it. but go ahead, and make it about me. 

I'm well aware of my own country's issues. please visit the canadian politics thread if you want to engage with me on those issues. Canadian politics, I would think would be obvious, aren't relevant in this thread. 

no one is being deliberately negative. some are being deliberately ignorant. 

www.headstonesband.com

on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    shecky said:

my comment wasn't about slavery directly, it was that america wasn't really the "birthplace" of the blues. they "stole" it. I can't stand how some americans claim ownership of things they stole. that's it. but go ahead, and make it about me. 

I'm well aware of my own country's issues. please visit the canadian politics thread if you want to engage with me on those issues. Canadian politics, I would think would be obvious, aren't relevant in this thread. 

I think you're wrong about this. While the blues incorporates some elements that have roots in African music, the blues itself was a new thing that was definitely born in the American South. By your logic, America wouldn't be the birthplace of baseball because it incorporated elements of games that originated in Britain like townball and rounders.
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    shecky said:

Wait… so if I want to talk Canadian politics I have to visit the Canadian politics thread but you are free to discuss your interpretation of American politics in any thread you want?  

Thank you for proving my point… your post was way off topic for this thread and you used someone’s happy birthday thread as a dumping ground for whatever negative baggage you brought to the boards that day. 👍🏻

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    We had a great July 4th. Huge party, good food.  Fireworks while Ray Charles played over the sound system.   

One of my favorite holidays because of the relaxing nature of it.  What's the expectation?   You eat, have a drink, sit on some lawn chairs, watch a game.  

Good times.  
    Growing up in New York City, the Fourth of July was always centered around the Firecracker 500 countdown of the greatest classic-rock songs of all-time on WNEW-FM, as voted on by listeners. I used to listen around the clock. I still remember the year that "Stairway to Heaven" was supplanted at number one by "Won't Get Fooled Again." There was rioting in the streets. :)

WNEW stopped playing classic rock a long time ago. Q104.3 in New York now does a Top 1043 countdown over Thanksgiving weekend that operates the same way, and that includes another thirty years of songs. I try to tune in online as much as possible, and it's fun, but it just doesn't have the cachet of the Firecracker 500.
    BF25394 said:
    Growing up in New York City, the Fourth of July was always centered around the Firecracker 500 countdown of the greatest classic-rock songs of all-time on WNEW-FM, as voted on by listeners. I used to listen around the clock. I still remember the year that "Stairway to Heaven" was supplanted at number one by "Won't Get Fooled Again." There was rioting in the streets. :)

WNEW stopped playing classic rock a long time ago. Q104.3 in New York now does a Top 1043 countdown over Thanksgiving weekend that operates the same way, and that includes another thirty years of songs. I try to tune in online as much as possible, and it's fun, but it just doesn't have the cachet of the Firecracker 500.
    I miss WNEW so much.  The Q is still a go to radio station for me but it’s just not the same.  Some of my favorite memories were cutting school in high school and going to the WNEW concert on the beach in Asbury Park.  🤘🏻

edited July 10
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    shecky said:

Wait… so if I want to talk Canadian politics I have to visit the Canadian politics thread but you are free to discuss your interpretation of American politics in any thread you want?  

Thank you for proving my point… your post was way off topic for this thread and you used someone’s happy birthday thread as a dumping ground for whatever negative baggage you brought to the boards that day. 👍🏻
    I didn't bring politics into this. I disagreed with his interpretation of where the blues came from. jesus fucking christ. just looking to fight on the internet are we?
    Post edited by Kat on

www.headstonesband.com

on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    shecky said:

I didn't bring politics into this you dope. I disagreed with his interpretation of where the blues came from. jesus fucking christ. just looking to fight on the internet are we?
    As I said in my intirial response…. While you certainly have the right to post in any thread you want here, not every thread needs the same people crapping in someone else’s cheerios in thread after thread.   It’s a happy birthday thread.  No one cares about you splitting hairs with your “disagreement.”  Not every thought you have needs to be shared.  Just let things be sometimes.  

This discussion has been closed.