Options

So what do you musicians and gearheads do

casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
edited January 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
for a living? How do you pay for all your gear? Anyone here actually living of love and music, playing in a band or gearing in anyway?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    I work part time for a concert production company as a live-sound engineer. Work monitors, house, system, whatever they need.

I also do freelance recording engineering.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    SOUNDS cool!

Get it?

:D

Man I'm lame...
  • Options
    Originally posted by pearlwax
    Get it?

Man I'm lame...

That was pretty bad.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I'm stripping my way through medical school.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    I'm a database analyst by day, freelance web designer/developer in my spare time along with WAY too many hobbies.

I'm dying to get in a band. I have way too many musical ideas bouncing around in my brain.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    professional engineer specializing in oil industry automation and instrumentation.

i've made a total of maybe $500 playing music so that ain't gonna pay the bills.
  • Options
    I work for a petrolium pipeline company.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    I work for a petrolium pipeline company.
    Exhausted: professional engineer specializing in oil industry automation and instrumentation.

Should I buy a car that uses more gasoline? Do you guys get credit for that?

I played in bands most of my life, do it occasionally now, maybe less,,,, nobody called,, begging me to tour with them, while I was gone for three months.

So I'll go back to my own business as a home inspector.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    Should I buy a car that uses more gasoline? Do you guys get credit for that?

please don't. :) i feel guilty enough as it is. i should add though that we also do chemical plants like fertilizer plants etc. so it's not all bad.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    please don't. :) i feel quilty enough as it is. i should add though that we also do chemical plants like fertilizer plants etc. so it's not all bad.

Oh,, good.
    I grew up as a nature boy, environmental degree.
    I was wondering if I would have to change my principles so y'all can buy more stuff! :D

Well, I'll just throw more fertilizer on the garden this year. Maybe, that'll get you a few sets of strings!
    Be kind, man

We do it more efficiently, cheaply, and environmentally friendly than anyone else.

Hell get a hybrid. Most people drive vehicles way to big for them I've learned in 5 years with my honda it's pretty much all I need but I will be buying a small truck later this year because I need the ability to haul crap around.
  • Options
    no we just get paid to transport the stuff. If cars ran on water we'd move that. Consider the environmental impact of 400,000 more fuel tanker trucks on the road.

We do it more efficiently, cheaply, and environmentally friendly than anyone else.

Hell get a hybrid. Most people drive vehicles way to big for them I've learned in 5 years with my honda it's pretty much all I need but I will be buying a small truck later this year because I need the ability to haul crap around.

It is weird to come back here from other countries and see how f'n BIG vehicles are here.

My neighbor up the street just bought a Ford Excursion. "Oh we need the room because of the kid" . They put a 15 pound 1 year old and a car seat and a diaper bag in it!
    It's bigger than a house in Mali!
    Be kind, man
    It's become a status symbol. As Americans get bigger their cars get bigger. My dad rented a dodge truck for a work trip once. I was uncomfortable in the seat it was so large. A 350lb person would have felt normal driving it I guess. I'll stick with the honda. I think a smaller footprint leaves less to hit.

Driving a huge "safe" car may make you safer in an accident.

I prefer avoiding them altoegther.
  • Options
    Small cars are the way to go, definitely...

Especially small BMW's.
  • Options
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Small cars are the way to go, definitely...

Especially small BMW's.

330Ci= JOY
  • Options
    330Ci= JOY

To the contrary, my dear friend...

M3 is the path to enlightenment.
  • Options
    To the contrary, my dear friend...

M3 is the path to enlightenment.

$55,000 and the seats aren't leather?

Things that make you go hmm.

You are of course correct sir.
  • Options
    2005 Mustang shows a lot of promise, for under $30,000.
  • Options
    2005 Mustang shows a lot of promise, for under $30,000.

300+ for under 30K

2005 Shelby Cobra- 605hp V10 100in wheelbase. (a couple inches shorter than a miata)
  • Options
    2005 Shelby Cobra- 605hp V10 100in wheelbase. (a couple inches shorter than a miata)

One word: Doughnuts.
  • Options
    pariahpariah Posts: 596
    I have a Suckity-Suck Saturday Job. Bah.
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • Options
    puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    -play for the love of music,
    -only earnings would be travel compensation (which I put on my taxes)
    -only seek monetary compensation if the lead guitarist's ego is bigger than the drum set
    -I think I have everything I need as far as gear is concerned.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    Originally posted by puremagic
    -play for the love of music,
    -only earnings would be travel compensation (which I put on my taxes)
    -only seek monetary compensation if the lead guitarist's ego is bigger than the drum set
    -I think I have everything I need as far as gear is concerned.

I think you have enough gear for 3 bands :)
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    I think you have enough gear for 3 bands :)

except for that crappy footpig that i think she should sell to me.:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    except for that crappy footpig that i think she should sell to me.:)

yeah how does 30 bucks sound? :)

I'll give you $50 for that Red Llama
  • Options
    I'll give you $30 for your Honda.
  • Options
    I'll give you $30 for your Honda.

add 2 zeros to the end and it's yours
  • Options
    add 2 zeros to the end and it's yours

Okay...

$30.00

Deal?
  • Options
    puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Excuse me gentlemen, I do believe this is an illegal, unauthorized, auction going on here.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    Originally posted by puremagic
    Excuse me gentlemen, I do believe this is an illegal, unauthorized, auction going on here.

You can't fault a guy for trying.