The mysterious ways of songwriting

casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
edited August 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I think I might have just completed a very simple - but complete! - song today. It's a happy - Lou Reed 'Vicious' - reggae sorta tune based around a few simple chords, but it makes me feel happy and even want to dance to it. :D

This little diddly is based on a three chord progression I came up with in college, about 4 or 5 years ago. It was meant to be a low-fi, alternative indie tune at the time and has been through tons of modifications, with new licks and chords build up around it, but nothing ever really felt 'good'. So I put the three chords back on the shelf.

Somewhere last year I took them down and up a full key - from A to B - on the fret board and it sorta grabbed my attention.

Thanks to some gear changes - new amps, going from Marshall to Fenders, changed my sound and doing so my approach to the three chords, the new Champ revealing it completely! - I got into the reggae sorta feel it has gotten now. New chords - barres that slides up and down - added to that feel. Today I came up with a wonderfully fitting bridge as well!

So now it's 'finished' for now anyway, and that made me think back to where it originally came from.

The mysterious ways of songwriting... only thing: this is a very basic, simple song - that (basic chords, a tele, no pick, just fingers strumming and a fine sounding champ) is what makes it so cool in my opinion. How the hell will I ever write a complex song, with more than one guitarpart or even lyrics :D

Just wanted to share.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i love writing songs, they always come at the most unexpected, unintentional times. i've had writers block lately though...nothing i play sounds fresh.
    knowledge is a tree
    it's growing up just like me.
  • Originally posted by given to jam
    i love writing songs, they always come at the most unexpected, unintentional times. i've had writers block lately though...nothing i play sounds fresh.
    i live that way to

you sit down to write, and,..... nothing.

then 4 hours later your jammin just playing stuff you know, then BOOM something clicks and you write it down, and it develops like that lol
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"