Options

Los Angeles - Where to stay?

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,526
edited June 20 in All Encompassing Trip
If ones goes to Los Angeles as a tourist, and do not have access to a car. Where is a good place to stay generally -- Hollywood(?). Or some other area? It is a pretty big city...

And are there places to avoid staying at?
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

Comments

• Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,497
    edited June 12
    Get rental car

its not a public transportation city

You can get rentals as low as $25/day… for you lil more cause you need insurance

santa Monica is fun place 

• Options
    CROJAM95 said:
    Get rental car

Don't have a driver's license. So will be the one sole passenger on the subway. hehe. :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    CROJAM95 said:
    Get rental car

Don't have a driver's license. So will be the one sole passenger on the subway. hehe. :)
    its ok, Half of California doesnt have one either.....insurance rates have gone thru the roof all around US

Good Luck, its a great vacation imo

Ill prob be back for Ohana if things work out
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,413
    What are u going to LA for?  It is a big city.  A car is the best way to get around in LA unfortunately. Get UBER.

Also it depends on what you want to do there that would make up my mind on where to stay.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,381
    Having vacationed in the area a number of times, I agree with Crojam and Tempo about a car. It's probably the one big city in the US that a car is pretty much a must. But of course no license makes that an issue. Are you traveling with anyone else who has a license?

Anyway, I'm sure Super Nintendo World at Universal Studios Hollywood is on your list of things to do. Did it last August. The Mario Kart ride was pretty awesome. Just don't touch Toad's head when posing for a picture. I got reprimanded for that, LOL.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Having vacationed in the area a number of times, I agree with Crojam and Tempo about a car. It's probably the one big city in the US that a car is pretty much a must. But of course no license makes that an issue. Are you traveling with anyone else who has a license?

Anyway, I'm sure Super Nintendo World at Universal Studios Hollywood is on your list of things to do. Did it last August. The Mario Kart ride was pretty awesome. Just don't touch Toad's head when posing for a picture. I got reprimanded for that, LOL.
    No, all alone. My brother, friends or gfriend (all having a license) did not feel like spending the money tagging along. 

Hah! I didn’t know it had opened outside of the Japan one! I doubt I’ll do rides alone like I’m some De Niro in Cape Fear freak. But maybe worth the entrance just to walk around the park!
  • Options
    edited June 12
    What are u going to LA for?  It is a big city.  A car is the best way to get around in LA unfortunately. Get UBER.

Also it depends on what you want to do there that would make up my mind on where to stay.
    - Pearl Jam and Neil Young at Ohana
    - Neil Young in LA
    - Visiting Tarantinos 35mm cinema at least once
    - maybe going out to the Elm Street house (even though it is since a few years completely remodeled :( ) or some other ”nostalgic” film location. 
    - Maybe the Comedy Store. But doubt it when Im alone
    - Amoeba music
    - Something film/hollywood related. Some museum or that Universal lot tour
    - Now maybe also the Super Mario amusment park 

hehe. Rough plan. Won’t be there too many days though. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    Guy DudebroGuy Dudebro Posts: 1,381
    Hollywood Forever Cemetery is fun. 
    How  are you getting from LA to Dana Point? It’s about 65-70 miles from downtown. 
  • Options
    Poncier said:

No, all alone. My brother, friends or gfriend (all having a license) did not feel like spending the money tagging along. 

Hah! I didn’t know it had opened outside of the Japan one! I doubt I’ll do rides alone like I’m some De Niro in Cape Fear freak. But maybe worth the entrance just to walk around the park!
    Actually, for the Mario Kart ride and a few others in the park, being solo is an advantage. they have a single rider line which moves you through much quicker. For the Mario Kart ride, they have 4 players per kart, so in an instance where you have a group of 3 they put a person from the single rider line with you (we are a family of 3 and we always got the added person with us). If you do go to Universal, considering the admission price it would be foolish not to do most of the rides. Plenty of folks get on solo, no stigma. 
  • Options

or that Universal lot tour

These are at the same amusement park.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,413

- Neil Young in LA
    - maybe going out to the Elm Street house (even though it is since a few years completely remodeled :( ) or some other ”nostalgic” film location. 
    - Amoeba music

Like Dudebro said.  Ohana is a hike from LA.  You getting a greyhound?

• Options
    San Clemente is nice if you want to be close to Ohana, all those adjacent towns are great
  • Options
    CROJAM95 said:
    San Clemente is nice if you want to be close to Ohana, all those adjacent towns are great
    My airbnb during ohana is in San Clemente. It’s like 10km away, right?
  • Options

- Neil Young in LA
    - Amoeba music

Like Dudebro said.  Ohana is a hike from LA.  You getting a greyhound?

Yeah. Or a train. Im staying in San Clemente during the festival
  • Options
    Guy DudebroGuy Dudebro Posts: 1,381
    edited June 12
    You can stay anywhere in or around Holllywood. Red Line will get you to Hollywood and Highland  for an easy walk up to the Hollywood  Bowl. Also take it to Union Station for the Amtrak San Diegan to San Clemente and back to LA. Depending on your budget, The  W is next door to Amoeba on Hollywood Blvd. You can also take the Flyaway  bus from LAX to Union Station.
    Post edited by Guy Dudebro on
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,966
    Poncier said:

The single lines can be shorter and they'll pair you up!

Good for you to hit Ohana! Enjoy the new record there! Such a laid-back vibe in Dana Point.
  • Options
    Poncier said:

or that Universal lot tour

These are at the same amusement park.
    Ah... okey! Yeah, it's like a ride. Thinking I will go to the Paramount one instead then maybe... classic gate and I do not need King Kong or Jaws or whatever attacking me. I JUST WANT TO LEARN MORE ABOUT HOLLYWOOD.

Would love to see the Psycho house though. Hmm...
  • Options

You won’t just see the house!
    Also the time you’re going to be there they will be doing Halloween Horror Nights at Universal.
    Never been there for that, maybe a California resident can shed some light, but it sounds cool.
  • Options
    Poncier said:

You won’t just see the house!
    Also the time you’re going to be there they will be doing Halloween Horror Nights at Universal.
    Never been there for that, maybe a California resident can shed some light, but it sounds cool.
    Hmm. Yeah. Just saw the theme this year is A Quiet Place. 

Which one is the best IMAX theatre in the area?

• Options
    Is it "unsafe" to walk from Beverly Boulevard/Detroit Street up to Sunset Boulevard at night? Or are there always tourists/people out in this area in LA? Says it's a 45 minute walk. Seems to be no metro down there... but wan't to visit Tarantinos cinema.

I will be staying close to the Chinese theatre/Highlands metro it seems...