so euhm... a question

casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
edited May 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
A while back I bought me a second hand Fender 85 deluxe transistor amp. Pretty nice amp, built like a tank. But a little while later I bought me my Fender Champ. Terrific amp, but no serious OD, so I still messed around with the 85 for that. Another while later I bought me a Shannon OD, and since then, I never even looked at my 85.

So I'm thinking of selling it, but I need to know something first: how fragile is my Champ? I was always thinking of keeping the 85 as a back-up amp 'in case', but back-up for what? In case of what? I only play at home, don't have a band and the chances of glaciers growing larger again is bigger than me hitting a stage.

So question is: do I 'need' a back-up when I only play about an hour a day (sometimes less) and my champ never leaves the house? Will my champ last me long and good times when I take care of it? Should I sell the 85 since I never play it anymore?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
    Well my point would be, other than tubes, what is gonna break on your champ if it's just in your house? I think it's a safe bet to just keep your champ. Most serious amp injuries are caused while amps are being moved around I figure. So then if you're just having it sit in 1 spot in your house you should be good other than tube changes. Plus imagine the sweet pedals or otehr gear you could buy with the fender money.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Sell it and get a Roland Micro Cube.

The Champ will be fine, for the most part. It'll need regular care and feeding (tubes and other maintenance) so if you could theoretically live without the amp for a week while it got new tubes, caps, etc then you'll be fine.

But I still would recommend a Micro Cube.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.