When do you sell a piece of gear?

casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
edited April 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
When it's busted? When it's only collecting dust? When you're upgrading? When you need cash?

I'm getting my new (used) amp this weekend - finally! - and was thinking of trying to get some cash out of my other one, a Marshall Valve 8080 that is almost dead, but we went through a lot of shit together: we survived an amp kidnapping attempt :eek:! I saved him like a true hero!

Also have a second hand, but cool Epiphone Les Paul with Gibson pups that's basically collecting dust ever since I got my Tele. Also has a buzz on the G-string, something wrong with the tuner knob hole thingy.

Don't think I'd sell the Epi yet, but was sure to sell the amp, now I'm doubting... I'll survive financially if I hold on to it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by pearlwax
    When it's busted? When it's only collecting dust? When you're upgrading? When you need cash?

I'm getting my new (used) amp this weekend - finally! - and was thinking of trying to get some cash out of my other one, a Marshall Valve 8080 that is almost dead, but we went through a lot of shit together: we survived an amp kidnapping attempt :eek:! I saved him like a true hero!

Also have a second hand, but cool Epiphone Les Paul with Gibson pups that's basically collecting dust ever since I got my Tele. Also has a buzz on the G-string, something wrong with the tuner knob hole thingy.

Don't think I'd sell the Epi yet, but was sure to sell the amp, now I'm doubting... I'll survive financially if I hold on to it.

we'll if it's just going to sit there why keep it?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    I guess it depends on how long it has been with you and if it has any sentimental value.....kinda like the old shirt that you really just don't want to throw away.
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    we'll if it's just going to sit there why keep it?

uhm...
  • I basically only sell gear when I need cash for more gear. Either the new stuff will be replacing the old stuff or I can justify sacrificing the old stuff for something I want or think I need more.

If you don't have to sell it and can keep it around, I'd say keep it. You never know when you might need or just want to play through something different. Also it would be good to have around in case something happens to the new amp. Also nice to have sometimes if someone comes over to jam and dosen't have their amp with them or something.

If you need the cash, that's a different story though.
  • casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
    Originally posted by mojorison_75
    If you don't have to sell it and can keep it around, I'd say keep it. You never know when you might need or just want to play through something different. Also it would be good to have around in case something happens to the new amp. Also nice to have sometimes if someone comes over to jam and dosen't have their amp with them or something.

Excellent arguments!
  • Never. You never know when you might want it. I have this piece of shit DOD Death Metal pedal that i got after like 2 months of playing guitar. Haven't used it since i got common sense but then i tried it for a low fi through-the-telephone sound, and what do you know? Perfect. I would never sell anything unless theres a good reason. I sold my original Ibanez TS-808 Tube Screamer because morons on ebay pay $450 for that pedal. Took $170 and bought a Fulltone Fulldrive II and am $280 richer. Just weigh your options. I'd save guitars and amps. For pedals, there's always something out there that will sound like one you sold.
    Let Ralph debate!

And you stare at me
    In your Jesus Christ pose
    Arms held out
    Like you've been carrying a load