Oh my...

casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
edited September 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I just recorded myself on my very basic tape-recorder (a Sony I use for interviewing people normally) and I actually surprised myself. Hearing your own voice is pretty strange. I am used to it on my interview tapes, but I never sang on it before.

Though I still sound like a nasally nagging grandpa with a cold, it still was a lot better than I suspected and with a lot of work, it might even sound good one day. Second surprise: I'm becoming pretty damn' good at playing and singing at the same time.

so I was wondering if anyone else had this. How did you feel the first time you heard yourself singing? And how can you tell if you have a good singing voice, cause my gf thinks I actually have one, somewhere deep down in my throat.

I recorded me playing Dark Globe btw, in the way Placebo plays it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i still can't handle my own singing. but i know what it's like to have other people try to sing my songs so whenever i cringe at my own singing i remember those experiences.
  • the first time I heard myself sing was also the last.
    "This is a public service annowncement... with guitars!!"
  • Originally posted by WashDirtyFrank
    the first time I heard myself sing was also the last.

this was pretty much my experience. i am still holding on to the dream that i could sing if i worked on it.
    me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    I know I can sing well. I know that sounds kind of cocky, but its not... It more based on people's comments and all of the lessons that have taken. But anytime I record, I don't really like the sound of my voice....In fact sometimes it drives me bonkers, until I listen to it over and over again until I actually like the sound of my voice. I remember it took me a LONG time to be able to sing and play proficiently at the same time...and even long to actually appreciate the sound of my own voice.
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    ...stars and garters.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    Originally posted by nailz100
    I know I can sing well. I know that sounds kind of cocky, but its not... It more based on people's comments and all of the lessons that have taken. But anytime I record, I don't really like the sound of my voice....In fact sometimes it drives me bonkers, until I listen to it over and over again until I actually like the sound of my voice. I remember it took me a LONG time to be able to sing and play proficiently at the same time...and even long to actually appreciate the sound of my own voice.

I know what you mean. I still don't really like to hear myself sing on tape... People give me positive comments, cheer, etc... so I know I "can" sing. But, when I here myself sometimes I wonder why other people would find that acceptable.
    There's No Code.
    Maybe, because it is OUR voice we are not used to hearing what it sounds like on the outside because we are always hearing it on the "inside" (bone conduction). It'll sound different when we listen back to it, than when we are actually singing...thats what I've learned anyways..

The new bands doing good house?
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    yeah, we are working on adding some more material still and getting some more gigs.

We had a gig on Friday that went well and we were asked back to that place. So, that's a positive.

Adding songs is always a give and take, but we will get some more that we all agree on.

I agree about the "inside your head" voice vs. your projected voice. That's the exact issue.

After a while, you become confident though, and then you are comfortable singing just about anything...
    There's No Code.
  • no, have never heard my own voice... and I don't think I want to either... I was at a party once, and they played alive, and I started singing.... my friends left me right there..
    they said they had nevre ever heard such a bad voice... :(

and here I was thinking I was gonna be the next idol!!!
    damn!
    "Pearl Jam ... the band with a message. Stay healthy... Eat your carrots..."
    There's always Superstar USA......
  • what's superstar USA??
    sorry for my ignorance :)
    Its a show on the WB network.....like American Idol, but they pick the worst singer instead of the best.
  • oh I would have won that! without competitoion! ;)

hmmm... maybe my career as a tv-slut isn't over afterall??