Fender 70's Silverface Champ

casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
edited July 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
One going here for 250 euros. Can anyone here give me some info on this? In which way does it differ from the Vibrochamp? What can you do with it - 6 watts I believe. And is 250 euros a good price? Any info on this - and quick - would be highly appreciated, cause if it's anything close to TAFKAMIG's vibro, this sounds like the perfect home pratice amp for me, with tubes!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    it's just won't have the tremolo. that's the only difference between the vibro champ and the champ in the 60/70s besides whatever circuit changes took place between the blackface and silverface eras.

as for price, i have no idea. seems high for a silverface but that's only based on ebay research.
  • casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
    From what I read and understood, it's not as great as the blackface (which are more wanted just for the colour anyway). But besides the tremelo, would you consider it to be good amp? And how loud is it?

As for price, harmony central has them going from 50 to up to 300 bucks.

If I were to go after this, what do I have to look out for? I'm a complete layman when it comes to tubes and old amps...
    me too. sorry. i don't have any expertise in this area.
    No worries at all, thanks for the info you gave.
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    Hi Pearlwax

Those silverfaces can be fun amps.
    I don't know what kind of electricity you have over there, but if those are made for 240 volts, look around for one of these gibsons if you can:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10171&item=3734325861&rd=1

They were basically practice amps in the 50's and 60's
    They're like 3-5 watts and you can crank them like anything. Basically the same circuit as a champ, just done by gibson. The older skylarks are "vintage" and more expensive from the 50's, but the 60's ones are about the same insides, but cheaper.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

don't have a clue to what you're on about concerning the electricity...

Those Gibsons look sweet, but I've never ever seen one here in my life! I think those champs are rare enough in Belgium as it is.

I'd like to get this champ as a home/practice amp, cause I'm not likely to be doing anything else in the future. I'd sell my busted Marshall valve for about 100-150 euros. Then I'd still have the transistor Fender Deluxe 85 for more power. Though transistor, it has some cool tricks in it's hat. But I'm curious for the tube sound, especially one that you can crunch at low volumes.

What's your idea on the price? I know it's probably expensive for US standards, but to draw a context, used twin reverbs here go at 1000 euros average...
    re: the electrcity. we're at 120V in north america. so if you try to plug in a 120V amp to a 220V outlet (europe's at 220V right) you'll let the smoke out of it.
    Aha. Don't think that's an issue though. Amps that are sold here always are fit for our 220 (or is it 240?) network. If not, they usually come with adaptors. But nonetheless it is something to pay attention to in this case, thanks.
    250 euros = 310.399 US dollars!:D (I'll be using euros on Thursday!)

For here, it's pretty high price, but for there, it's probably right in line, using the patented "Bob" twin reverb to champ price ratio calculator. Ask if the speaker is good in it, and if the tubes are original or replaced, but tubes are available if you need them.

Hey man, don't worry, my theory, if you want it, go for it! Go GO GO GO!
    just for your info, even though it's here in the US, maybe you can find someone there to do the work if you needed:

http://www.torresengineering.com/kit1fenchamn.html

all for only 25.7349 euros:)

Keith Richards older studio sound was a Champ cranked up, combined with a twin for clean.
    Be kind, man
    Well, from what I understand, the Champs (and Vibro Champs)were spared many of the changes in the early CBS era that other amps suffered from. I'd be curious as to the date of that amp... the silverface Champ was in production from 1968 until 1982. According to my sources (http://www.ampwares.com/ffg) the "tail" logo indicates 1968-1974, and the "R" logo (the R for registered trademark) indicates 1975 on. The very first ones, 1968-9, had aluminum piping around the border of the grillcloth. See if you can figure a date out from that information.

As far as how it sounds, that's an objective opinion. I love my Vibro Champ, and besides the tremolo, the Champ is the same circuitry (preamp, power amp, and rectifier). If the tubes have some life left, and the speaker is good (but not a cheap replacement), it's probably a great amp. For bedroom jamming, it's heaven. Mine is pretty quiet up to about 3, gets sweeter up to 7, and gets edgy into overdrive past that. Put a good overdrive or booster pedal in front, and it's pure tube drive, and more importantly, SATURATION!

If I had a dollar for every hit song recorded with a Champ or Vibro Champ, I'd be rich I tell ya...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    One more question: doesn't look like a complex amp, but is it easy to maintain? Are the parts easy to find?

Thanks guys
    Originally posted by pearlwax
    One more question: doesn't look like a complex amp, but is it easy to maintain? Are the parts easy to find?

Thanks guys

It's about as simple as a tube amp gets. A few capacitors and resistors and tubes that are still available. If you know someone who works on tube amps, you should be able to fix anything on it. If you buy this, ( go go go!:D) then you want to take it to someone anyway for an initial tune up.

Good luck!
    Be kind, man
    I just got of the phone with the owner of the champ. So he's selling for 250 euros but he says I'd have to get it maintained. Change the tubes and all. Speaker is okay to him, has no reference or sticker on it but he thinks it's the original speaker.
    He did say he wouldn't go and take it on stage or even in the studio. I wasn't planning to. And the knobs crack a bit. It hasn't been played in a while...

I don't know jack shit about this stuff... should I do it? One guitar shop manager here said he owed me one for the story I did on his shop the other time... so he might give me a price.

I mean,... 250 euros and maintenance costs... I'm guessing 50 euros more is 300. On the other hand, I've seen a used champ for 585 euros as well in a shop.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Well, it's your call.

I always assume a tube amp will need new tubes, unless the seller specifies that it has new (or newer) tubes. The speaker may well be original... some of them weren't labeled, and some have lost their labels over time.

Scratchy pots would need cleaned... hopefully not replaced...

The biggest worry is the caps and the power transformer. If those are alright, then the cost should be reasonable.

I wonder why he wouldn't recommend using it in the studio... that's where those amps gained their reputation in the first place... ???
    I know! Maybe he doesn't know his stuff, like I don't either. I think I might just take a gamble on this one... Only way to learn is to act - and sometimes hit a brick wall doing so, isn't it. Thanks TAFKAMIG
    I know I've been a pain in the ass and nagging everybody's ears off with this amp, but I'm going for it. I'm seeing and testing it this Wednesday. So if anyone has any tips on what to look out for....

Also, if I decide to buy it - probably will - I'll have to get it in for maintenace. Which made me wonder: if you only play this at home on a regular basis, how do you maintain it? How often do you have to bring it in or change tubes and stuff?

Cause unlike in the states, shop managers here get really bitchy about maintenance of gear if you didn't buy it there. They hate the used market.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    how often do we post this great advice from Mr. Trentino.

http://trentino.best.vwh.net/

you'll probably be fine for a very very long time after changing out those particular tubes.

Many people have the same ones still in from the 70's. It just depends on the durability and longevity of that particular tube. The other maintence that should be considered really are the tube sockets and filter caps which go bad over time. Most likely they are still fine though.

mig should be able to tell you about what it costs because he had his serviced not to long ago and dollars are about equal to the euro's.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    mig should be able to tell you about what it costs because he had his serviced not to long ago and dollars are about equal to the euro's.

Well, my Vibro Champ needed several things... a new power tube, a new rectifier tube, a replaced speaker (I purchased seperately, he installed it), two new caps and a new resister, and a grounded power cable. Total was about $150 for all the testing, diagnosis, parts and labor. More than I spent on the amp in the first place (although my total investment is less than it's $450 street price). I've owned the amp for three years, and I'm on my third set of tubes. I can probably go another year on the tubes in it, and then replace the whole lot. Preamp tubes (mine has two, the Champ has one) should last at least two years with CONSTANT playing, and can last decades. Power tubes should last a year to 18 months with constant playing, and can last a lot longer. I would replace the rectifier with the power tube, but that's not perfectly necessary.

Unfortunately, the market sorta determines the price for this kind of work... I might've payed Sal Trentino $300 for the same work, or some idiot with a soldering iron and a volt-meter $50.

Things to watch for: buzzing, rattling, or other strange noises in the amp, cabinet, speaker, etc. Static, fuzz, or "ghost-like" noises (Fender tube amps are noisy, but watch for excessive noise). Scratchy pots for controls. Turn it on and let it warm up for at least a minute or two before playing on it. When it's warmed up, check to see if any of the tubes are glowing bright red, yellow, or white. A soft glow is good, a bright glow is bad. Check the tubes again after you are finished playing on it, but before shutting it down. Look for obvious cosmetic damage, like rips, tears, scuffs, damage to the cabinet wood, dents in the amp chassis or faceplate. Make sure the power cable is intact, no splits or tears, no tape holding it together. Listen to the amp while you play, and make sure it reproduces well in the low, middle, and high ranges (like a low-E string, open, then maybe a G chord, then maybe 12th fret on the B and high-E strings. Make sure there isn't any unnatural distortion, especially in the speaker cone or voicecoil, when you play lower notes.

Number one thing to watch for: Vibe. Does this amp speak to you? If it has an unnatural attraction to you, then it's the one.
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Things to watch for: buzzing, rattling, or other strange noises in the amp, cabinet, speaker, etc. Static, fuzz, or "ghost-like" noises (Fender tube amps are noisy, but watch for excessive noise). Scratchy pots for controls.

So I went along and bought the little fella and I must say I am very impressed. It goes pretty loud for 6W! Has a wonderful warm tone and the lack of controls to mess with that is in my advantaeg, cause I only end up screwing up a good tone anyway. It looks good, a little wear on the metal at the top of the amp, where the handle is, but otherwise it looks great.

Only problem - as the guy warned me - is that it makes noise. I haven't played it much and won't be now cause I leave on vacation in a few hours, but I'd say it's a sort of scratchy maybe rattling noise. It mostly comes when playing harder or muting strings. I don't think it's the pots cause twisting the controls doesn't so anything. You do hear it when you twist the plug in the cable in the input.

The tubes look fine. They are in there at least two years now, but the one I can see gives a soft orange glow.

After holiday, I'll bring it in the shop...
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Yeah dude, it's amazing what 6 real watts really are isn't it?

Cool amp. If the pots are scratchy you can clean them with some tuner cleaner. This can be purchased at an electronics store. We have radio shack here in the states but I'm sure there's some sort of store like that in your neck of the woods and they may sell it at the guitar shop.

If you need a new speaker this guy is the man.

http://www.webervst.com
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Sounds like an inconsistent signal... maybe the input jack is getting loose inside, or one of the wires is coming undone.

Sounds like it turned out okay otherwise!