Conscience problem...

casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
edited March 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Okay, so here's the thing: I have a USA Tele up for sale for a while now, but recently the idea of a trade for a USA Strat came to mind. The plan was: whatever comes first, buyer or trader, is what I'll do. Now it looks like a dilemma might present itself: the two at the same time.

Now I'm wondering what to do. To be honest: I want the Strat, cause I've been playing Tele's for so long now and I'm curious about Strats. I have another great Tele as well, so it would be nice to be able to pick up one or the other.

But that's where my conscience comes in: Do I really need two guitars? I've been at it for 8 years and I still suck. I'm never gonna be in a band (no ambition). Do I need two guitars? And more importantly: the money would be nice. I'm in a somewhat uncertain financial/work situation at the moment and knowing I had some extra cash on the side would be comforting. My mom raised me that way, what can I say. On the other hand, it's not like I'm really in trouble or anything or will be. It would just be comforting to know the money's there.

I bought that second Tele with the idea of selling the first and by doing so getting the money back I used for the second Tele. As if I would have traded, no money loss. But since it's been so long and it's still not sold... And I have sold my Epiphone LP.

Enough rambing. What would you do in my situation? Go for the trade or for the cash? And do I really need two guitars (my neurotic self keeps wondering about that...) if you suck and never plan to be in a band?

meh :o
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I have two guitars, granted ones acoustic and ones electric (a Strat, which I love, so I say go for it on account of that). I'm currently saving for another guitar. Do I need it? No. Do I have the skill to justify two electrics? No. Do I care? No. Do I still want one? Yes. If it makes you happy, go for it. Life's too short.
  • i have 8 guitars, i casually play with a band (we don't gig or perform) but i do have the talent to pick up some shows when i want. Its just a neat thing to collect (pricey mind you) and it really just is nice to have the option

HM

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    as long as money's not an issue, get a strat. totally different beast & a nice complement.

but only if you feel ok about the money.

two teles might be superfluous but a strat/tele team isn't, imo.

hell, I have 9 guitars and i'll probably never leave the basement again.
  • casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
    I have the opportunity to trade for a 1993 (serial number N3xxxxxx) USA sunburst strat, maple neck. Sounds pretty good, doesn't it? Any ideas on this year, or whatnot?
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    You don't NEED 2 guitars. You don't even NEED a guitar. If you want a strat, get a strat...as long as it doesn't put you through any undue hardship or financial burden.

What would you rather have the money for? What would be better for you? what would make you happier? Answer these three questions, and you will know whther or not to trade for the strat.

Good luck :)
  • *This is your conscience speaking, Pearlwax!*

If you think you'll REALLY use a strat, go ahead, but before you get any guitars, do you have an acoustic?
    You sound like a good candidate for an acoustic guitar. You can pick it up at any time, and you can play somebody elses at a their house. You can sing to your girlfriend, (Tell her I said "Hi" by the way!)
    Every guitarist should have an acoustic guitar, because you're more apt to sit and play it without plugging things in, and it opens a whole new palette of sounds for you.
    That's my advice!

Ok, well,

Enjoy the new Strat! :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Just judging by the year and make of it...i woudl pick it up for $700US or less...

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • samquigleysamquigley Posts: 220
    If you still suck at guitar, don't get a strat. Waste of time. If you're only playing rhythm, you'll never be as satisfied with the tones as you are with those coming from your tele, unless you're a Floyd fan or something. By all means, buy it if you have to, but don't sell the tele first.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Well P dub, as much as a lurve Strats. and oh how I do I love them, I somewhat equate freedom with the ability to survive if the job goes sour what have you so I 'm infavor of keeping that buffer money in the account to provide that freedom to stick it to the man if so needed.

But oh do I love the comfort of the strat. They are so comfortable. Now I pulled out the LP over the weekend and wow is that thing crunchy, ballsy and fun to play, I still need to sell it too or trade (for an Upgraded Epi Dot for my blues and dub band bwaha ha ha) but I digress, If you want the strat you could always sell it later too after you try it first. ;)
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Thanks for the input peeps.

Here's the deal for now: I still have my fav Tele and I'm keeping that, of course. The other Tele could be gone tonight. the guy with the strat is coming over to check it out. If I like the strat, I'm doing the trade, cause I think I'll digg it. I've been seeing strats pop up in the coolest of (local) bands creating very cool sounds, even rythm. And the couple of times I actually played one myself, I always went: hm, maybe I should get me one of those one day. This might be that day.

Besides, I feel like it's the only way I'm gonna get anything good from that Tele. Trading is def the new thing overhere. Nobody wants to buy and sell, everybody wants to trade.

Bob, I already have an acoustic, one my girlfriend gave me (she says hi back, btw :)), though I would like to get my hands on a better one someday.

Bad news: some of you know I work as a freelance journalist, but also as a parttime copywriter in an IT-company. Today I got the news I expected for a coupel of weeks now. I got layed of cause the biggest client I work for is pulling out some of the work. Good news is that I still get payed for three months. I don't really know where I'm gong now, but I can still work as a journalist - even more, cause I have more time - and I have a decent period of time to comfortably search for where I wanna go.

I do however refuse to take this minor setback as a reason to not take the strat. If I sell the Tele instead of trading it, I will only end up spending the cash on houshold stuff. And that ain't as much fun. Anyway, I'm not in financial trouble. I'm pretty busy as a freelancer for now (though there are huge changes coming at the magazine I work for, but I should be fine) and my girlfriend is working her ass of as well. And I'm sure I'll be back in real business before those three months are over.

End of story.

ps: I'll post pics when/if I get the strat :D
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    pearlwax wrote:

nice, nice. If you're still playing the tele in a month, let me know.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • cjb5790cjb5790 Posts: 190
    pearlwax wrote:

WOW~! I am jealous brother! What do you play through?
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    nice, nice. If you're still playing the tele in a month, let me know.

Don't worry. My love for that Tele is as deep as yours is for your 62 strat. But who knows, who knows...
    cjb5790 wrote:
    WOW~! I am jealous brother! What do you play through?

Meet the Champ brothers

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/pearlwax/IMG_2311.jpg

btw, I meant the Sun Sisters, really :D
    pearlwax wrote:
    Meet the Champ brothers

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/pearlwax/IMG_2311.jpg

btw, I meant the Sun Sisters, really :D

I am unbelieveably jealous...I'm in the market for basically those same two exact guitars right now...but I think I'm gonna grab a MIM Tele and a lower-end Taylor or Martin dreadnought...with a Traynor 40W coming sometime this summer.
    I'd love me a Taylor or Martin someday. Actually, it's all pretty relative really. I mean, I say I love that Tele and I'm sure I'll love that Strat, but I'm also positive I'll end it with two (or more, or less) completely different guitars in a couple of years. Guitars come and go.

Oh well, at least I'm not as bad as House. ;)
    pearlwax wrote:
    I'd love me a Taylor or Martin someday. Actually, it's all pretty relative really. I mean, I say I love that Tele and I'm sure I'll love that Strat, but I'm also positive I'll end it with two (or more, or less) completely different guitars in a couple of years. Guitars come and go.

Oh well, at least I'm not as bad as House. ;)

No one is as bad as House...but sadly, I do wish I was as bad as him! If you get my drift