Jazzmaster

casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
edited November 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
SO I downloaded this utterly awesome and wicked cover of Fiona Apple doing I want you by Elvis Costello, accompagnied on guitar by the man himself, on video (and mp3) and I noticed how his jazzmaster has his name written on the fretboard.

I've always had a curiosity about the jazzmaster. They look stunning, but what's it like as a guitar? Can you compare it to a tele? Or is it more a strat? And why should I ever give in to my curiosity and get me one? Are the Japanese reissues any good?

In short: share with me the mojo of the jazzmaster, will ya? :D

oh yeah, here's that amazing cover:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDieK3Bsk8I

(want the mp3? Pm me)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    get a "crafted in japan" one, not a "made in japan" one, and you're golden.

i think jazzmasters are awesome. only ever got to play one once like 7 years ago though. being lefty and all.

from the quality of the crafted in japan mustang i have (righty, that i bought my son) i can attest to the quality of the fit and finish on the japanese models.

the only complaint i have with them is the slighty cheap pots they used in it.

i'd love to have the surf trio, jaguar, jazzmaster, mustang.

oh, the bridge on the jazzmaster is sort of an issue in that the string slots aren't great. lots of people just put a mustang bridge on instead. no modification required.
  • Aha, thanks. And soundwise? Are they versatile? Can you compare them to something?
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    well, they're versatile in that they have two sets of tone/vol controls that you can switch between.

it was so long ago that i played that i can't really comment on what to compare it too.

i would say it wouldn't be very tele like. i think it would chime a bit more and be somewhat jangly.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I am far from a gear head and know very little about this kind of stuff, but i'm 99% sure that J Mascis (dinosaur jr) plays with a jazzmaster and i love his sound :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • exhausted wrote:
    well, they're versatile in that they have two sets of tone/vol controls that you can switch between.

it was so long ago that i played that i can't really comment on what to compare it too.

i would say it wouldn't be very tele like. i think it would chime a bit more and be somewhat jangly.

Hmm... I've always wondered if they would fit my style. I've always thought it would be a match made in heaven, or in hell. They fascinate me though.

Maybe I should just try and play one sometime.

intodeep: you're right, he does! But I don't really like his sound. I prefer Costello's.
  • isisisis Posts: 34
    You should go in a shop, try one and you'll immediately know if it is your sound.
    When I bought my jaguar a year and a half ago, I was looking for a real strat to replace my squier.
    I liked the looks of the jaguar /jazzmaster, but I had heard they give troubles with the bridge and all and, well, I didn't want to have troubles.
    Just before leaving the shop my boyfriend insisted for me to try a jazzmaster, a beautiful white one.
    The moment I tried it, I knew it was my kind of guitar. No guitar had made me feel that way before.
    I eventually bought a japanese jaguar which I just love.
    It took me a while to sort out the problems with the bridge, but I eventually did just by putting on 0.11s. So don't let the "bridge issue" discourage you and go try one!
    I don't want to hear from those who know