One hell of a sweet blues guitar...

casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    holy robert johnson batman. makes me want to listen to to the Oh Brother soundtrack.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Makes me wish I had 1850 euros. Why do all the wrong people always have the good guitars? Seriously, I'd love to get my hands on that one.
    pearlwax wrote:
    Makes me wish I had 1850 euros. Why do all the wrong people always have the good guitars? Seriously, I'd love to get my hands on that one.

you know the thing is, true blues men didn't have any money. They wouldn't buy those now. How about a Regal duolian? maybe 300 tops. Absolute blues Machine, and you can drag it through the dirt and train stations no problem, Hurricane Katrina? Just adds character. Change the strings, adjust the neck, go for it.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Funny you should mention that. Yesterday I interviewed the daughter of Chris Whitley - you know him? He lived in Ghent for a while in the 80's and she was born here. He passed away last November, they're doing a tribute on March 3rd. Some of the finest guitar players (blues, I mean) are playing in his honor.

Whitley was amazing on a dobro.
    pearlwax wrote:
    Funny you should mention that. Yesterday I interviewed the daughter of Chris Whitley - you know him? He lived in Ghent for a while in the 80's and she was born here. He passed away last November, they're doing a tribute on March 3rd. Some of the finest guitar players (blues, I mean) are playing in his honor.

Whitley was amazing on a dobro.

I think I have heard the name before.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    you know the thing is, true blues men didn't have any money. They wouldn't buy those now. How about a Regal duolian? maybe 300 tops. Absolute blues Machine, and you can drag it through the dirt and train stations no problem, Hurricane Katrina? Just adds character. Change the strings, adjust the neck, go for it.

http://www.koopjeskrant.be/zoekertje_zoeken/zoekertje_detail.aspx?zoekid=2809869&XML=47725814-f743-43f2-845d-2a596da90add&KW=regal

look what I found...
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    I think I have heard the name before.

You need to check this guy out, trust me.

http://www.chriswhitley.com
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Other/Stringed/Instruments?sku=518030

and you need to cheque this guy out trust me.

Thanks for the Heads up, I'll give him a listen.
  • Are those really good blues guitars? Do you know which model that is in the add I posted above? Price is pretty okay (I bet I could get it for 400). Can't buy from the USA though, customs will kill my wallet.

I'd actually digg having one of those, especially since I have a good chance on cashing in 800 euros for my other Tele (yeah, that's still not gone).
    pearlwax wrote:

yeah, just search regal at musictoyz or musicians friend. it's probably one of the the roundback resonator models in black instead of sunburst. I mean, it ain't the best guitar in the world, but yeah it'll lay down some blues.
  • I'll have a look around, thanks. Also got my eye on a Duesenberg Starplayer. Sweet German electric blues guitar and then some.
  • Cool guitar.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/mynamehere/f51da411.jpg

Mine's about a 1933 model. It was cheap when I bought it.

(No, I DIDN'T buy it new! :D )

You can almost hear the scratchy skipping Robert Johnson record when you play it!

(Ok, well, Robert Johnson was 750% better than me. )

Another great one is the Guild Historic series resonator. You see them on ebay occasionally. Cheap and they sound great. I'll see if I can find one for you.

Chris Whitley was awesome. One of the greatest Dobro players out there. He used to come to Philly and play at this tiny place, and we'd buy him a beer or some food after he played. Nice guy and a great loss to the music world.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • Chris Whitley was awesome. One of the greatest Dobro players out there. He used to come to Philly and play at this tiny place, and we'd buy him a beer or some food after he played. Nice guy and a great loss to the music world.

Definitly... He had a lot of friends here. His daughter's pretty cool as well.

Nice guitar you got there Bob. How are you by the way?
  • pearlwax wrote:
    Definitly... He had a lot of friends here. His daughter's pretty cool as well.

Nice guitar you got there Bob. How are you by the way?

Pearlwax,,, I'm doing great!

I actually was in Calgary , to Banff for a week. I went to visit Rargh and we went up to the mountains and hung out and sipped wine by a fireplace!

I just bought a house down the street from me. It's a horrid pit of a place! I got it out of bad peoples' hands and I'm gutting it now of the bad spirits (And ugly smelliness).
    I'm thinking of making it a community music or art studio in it. I'll see when I get it all cleared out. It's like a blank canvas to work with!

Speaking of Gretsch guitars. I had a Gretsch acoustic in a gig bag with my laptop in the pocket when I got on the plane to Calgary. I smartly got to the gate and had them put it in the coat closet in front.
    Well I was sitting in my seat and looking out the window at the gate. I saw a baggage cart go by. THere was a guitar standing straight up amongst the baggage. It flipped sideways and stuck out the side of the cart.

Well, the cart drove by a concrete post and the guitar smashed into pieces! :o I showed the guy next to me. I said,,,, "oooh that hurt. That owner's gonna be crying."
    Then I saw the computer slip out and get run over by a wheel and I realized

THAT WAS MY GUITAR AND COMPUTER! :(

Air Canada paid for it, though. The attendant put it on the cart!! She felt horrible, and it all worked out.

Let me know if you want me to find a blues guitar. I'll check here if you want.

Have a great weekend!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart