Uhm... does anyone know an easy way of hosting an mp3?

casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
edited June 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Something like photobucket, but for mp3's? I have this rough recording I'd like to share. It's just some guitar and since I'm a verry crappy guitar player and songwriter, I was just wondering if any of you considered this song material.

But first of I need a place to host it, preferably NOT myspace :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Have it over for Tea and conversation.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
    Funny bunny :p
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    fuck, learn to read, me. :(
    if you wanted to email it to me, i could host it on my webspace.
    Is that really the best way? I was hoping to avoid the whole myspace thing, since it's really just a rough, rough recording of my crappy stuff. Something I can take down and leave behind easily.
    would be cool. It's 2.50MB though... can you handle it?
    exhausted wrote:

okay: pm me your e-mail address...
    pearlwax wrote:
    would be cool. It's 2.50MB though... can you handle it?

yup.

send it and i'll put it up as soon as i get back in a couple hours. (meeting)
    just send it direct to me if you're email can handle sending something that size.
    on it's way. Thank you! when you're ready, just drop the link in this thread. Hope this is a good idea ...

the main question about this recording is:

is this song material or not?
  • sustainediasustainedia Posts: 112
    pearlwax wrote:
    on it's way. Thank you! when you're ready, just drop the link in this thread. Hope this is a good idea ...

the main question about this recording is:

is this song material or not?

anything can be song material. you get the right voice and they can put great words over the simplest melody.
    stand by. just trying to open it now via my webmail.

http://minorlith.net/pearlwax/song.mp3

there we go. i'll have to listen tonight. i have no audio here.
    Thanks Greg. Be honest, but gentil. This is my first time 'in public'. It's basically nothing more than a few chord progressions...

oh yeah: don't mind that annoying tapping sound... it's not meant to be there.
    i think the progression is great. sounds like a alternate tuning of some sort but maybe it's just the voicings.

i think it's definitely a good foundation of a song.
  • Well you falsly modest bastard :) you clearly are not a VERY crappy guitar player. You seem to be at a minimum a competent guitar player.

Heres my 2 cents.

It is a very pretty progression. In that type of acoustic song the vocal melody, or lyrics, make or break the song. Not saying it wasn't hard for you to perfect that nice progression, but the vocal melody could make it a spectacular, or a mediocre song. Or anywhere in between.

The part where it sounds like the second guitar comes in, if you can, I would say make that track louder. It sounds at even volume with the guitar 1 track. I imagine the vocals getting louder or higher when that guitar comes in.

What are you recording on?

Good Job so far anyway!
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
    it's standard tuning, capo on 4th, messing around with Am, E, C, D7, F and a lot of what I believe are called suspended or seventh notes.

it's also just one guitar. Any 'effect' is due to the crap recording technique, which is almost too embarrassing to reveal, but I guess gearheads can use a good laugh once in a while: it's a cheap acoustic folk guitar which I filmed (yes: filmed) with my digital photocamera, downloaded to my pc and converted from avi into mp3 :D (so yeah, I have the video to this song, if anyone's interested. It's sorta like Eels last homevideo :p )

I'm maybe not a crappy guitar player (mind you, I can't play fast or solo and I have zero feeling for blues licks), but I am a crappy songwriter. This bit is the second time since I started playing 7 years ago I felt like it had something to it. But since I can't sing a note, I tend to fixate on my chord progressions sounding very melodic (with all the sus and 7th), maybe even too melodic. Because of that I'm making things more difficult for myself, cause I can't imagine a good vocal line. And I suppose the guitar is taking to much of the attention instead of just playing a supporting role.

That's pretty much my songwriting problem... Listen to some songs and forget about the vocals, it basically can be nothing more than a boring 3 chord progression. Since I don't sing, I want my guitar to do the singing for me and make a progression that is not boring. But maybe that's not good. Thing is: I need to hook up with some people to sing on it or add stuff. You only get better when playing with others, and I always play on my own.

Anyway, glad you liked it.
  • Hi, Pearlwax! Your chords are fine, well voiced and clearly played. If I had to offer constructive crit, I'm thinking that that chordal change - the chorus? - should come in earlier, and that the tempo could be raised or the strumming could be given more oomph. Towards the end, I think the song needs more dynamic, and more chords building upon one another upward into a climax before ending quietly on the original chordal riff. But once there are words to this song, and if this piece is played with bass and drums, you might hear new opportunities presenting themselves.

This is certainly a strong basis for a song and the chords suggest quite a few possibilities for expansion. Thanks for sharing. You're obviously talented.
  • Pearlwax. I can't sing either. Also my biggest problem. My suggestion is start belting it out when people leave the house. Like seriously just sing random words and melodies. See if you can find your range/tone. I haven't found mine yet but I can tell this random singing is helping alot. Like when I started doing this I couldn't stand the sound of my own voice. It was rough. I would start then stop cause I was embarased if myself (despite noone being around. wait a minute...) But anyway I have written a few songs now. I started writing lyrics this summer, they all have very modest vocals. Like within a few notes.

And yah that part where I thought there was a second guitar playing, it sounding like someone playing single notes over top somewhere past half way. Weird.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day