So I'm jammin' tommorow

casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
edited January 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
for the very first time really since I first picked up a guitar like what, 7 years ago. My best buddy - I've known him for a couple of years now, but we're only this close since a good year - is a drummer and we decided to do the White Stripes/Black Keys-thing this Saturday just for fun.

I'm hoping this will challenge my guitar playing a bit, cause I basically suck monkeyballs and haven't improved in 5 years - at least that's how it feels. Anyway, my buddy says he sucks as well, so we should be a good match.

A bit nervous though, I'm afraid this will for once and for all show me that I just have no fucking talent or skills and absolutely no fucking clue as to what I'm doing... meh :o

But it's all about having fun, right?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SquidgeSquidge Posts: 145
    Go for it bro, you will love it!!

Don't worry about sucking...your playiong will be at about 70% anyway, due to having another instrument to synch with. But you will love it so much....i am actually a little jealous of you. When i got back from my first jam with drums, bass and another guitar i smelled like i had just played Glastonbury.

Enjoy yourself, if this mate of your's is on the same level you guys could do well.

Good luck and.....find a bassist ;)
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Squidge wrote:

bassists are passe dude... glockenspiel... now thats a gimmick. ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Squidge wrote:
    Go for it bro, you will love it!!

Don't worry about sucking...your playiong will be at about 70% anyway, due to having another instrument to synch with. But you will love it so much....i am actually a little jealous of you. When i got back from my first jam with drums, bass and another guitar i smelled like i had just played Glastonbury.

Enjoy yourself, if this mate of your's is on the same level you guys could do well.

I have played with a 'full band' before, once, but those were just cover songs that were decided on beforehand. No actual jamming going on.

This time we don't have a clue where we're going, we're just gonna start playing, really. Thing I fear most is: I always figured that to be good at a jam, you really have to know you're instrument. Well, I don't think I know it. I'm not even on first base with my Tele. Sad, I know.

But hey, thanks for the cheers. I'll let you know how it all went. And if I'll ever have the guts to pick up my guitar after that or if there's gonna be a sweet '91 USA sunburst Tele on the market (j/k).
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Jam!!!! As often as possible for as long as possible. Twill make you better. I have been playing in a cover band for year and a half, and we jam quite often. At first I stayed back and played rhythm, but quickly learned that you gotta bust into some lead. I try to come if with lead parts that have sort of a rhythmic feel. Once you get a bit of confidence it starts comin easier.
  • Fuck man, it's all about making noise. Who cares if you suck. The only way to get better is by doing it with other people, just like sex.
    "I had a false belief I thought I came here to stay... we're all just visiting."
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Enjoy it man. Who cares if you suck? Its all about having fun anyway. I jam occasionally with my roommate, he plays his acoustic, I play my Strat and we just have, teaching each other riffs and whatnot. Need to do it more often, thats for sure.
  • So I jammed... for about five minutes that is, cause while we were doing a stumping version of 10am Automatic by The Black Keys - god that's such an amazing song to play! - we had the neighbours on our case.

But we played a lot quieter after that. It was fun, but what I had feared, happened. I just don't know how to improvise. I don't 'know' my fretboard well enough to do that. And when you're only playing with a drummer and your guitar has to do all the singing, that's no good.

So I played a couple of songs - even stuff he didn't know - and he was really quick on bringing a beat to it. Then again, he played in a band for about a year.

Cool thing was I had to turn the Champ up to 9 to keep up with the drumming - before the complaints that is - and boy, that that little fella sound sweet and growling at the same time. No pedal will ever beat naturally overdriven tubes.

But is was fun though. Some 'songs' I had that I didn't know if they were any good suddenly sounded a lot better with drums on it.

We'll do it again, if we find a place without neighbours that is.
  • Like Siberia, maybe? I don't think there are a lot of neighbors in Antarctica this time of year either.
    "I had a false belief I thought I came here to stay... we're all just visiting."
  • One time in highschool we were getting noise complaints at 3:30 PM on Monday. We weren't that loud, the neighbour was just anal as hell. After the cops came, we decided on a plan. We were ready to just deal with it, but the other guitar player's dad (we were jamming at his place), would have none of it. He argued with the cop that the neighbours just had a grudge and probably were just being anal to get at him. His argument was that, "How come you're allowed to cut the grass, which is louder than these guys practicing, but they aren't allowed to play music?"

He then went outside, took the muffler off his lawn mower and cut the grass while we practiced for another hour.

:eek:

:D

We even wrote a song about the whole incident.
  • Pearl Wax, awesome man. Way to get out there. I agree it's a scary prospect for me too.

Frank,

Wicked story!!!
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Pat HPat H Posts: 101
    One time in highschool we were getting noise complaints at 3:30 PM on Monday. We weren't that loud, the neighbour was just anal as hell. After the cops came, we decided on a plan. We were ready to just deal with it, but the other guitar player's dad (we were jamming at his place), would have none of it. He argued with the cop that the neighbours just had a grudge and probably were just being anal to get at him. His argument was that, "How come you're allowed to cut the grass, which is louder than these guys practicing, but they aren't allowed to play music?"

He then went outside, took the muffler off his lawn mower and cut the grass while we practiced for another hour.

:eek:

:D

We even wrote a song about the whole incident.

that is awesome

When I was in my first band, we got the cops called on us a couple times, in fact, two times in two days. We found out who it was and wondered how the hell it was possible to even hear us, because they were slightly down the road. If they could hear us at all, it was probably just being able to barely hear something, because I was late to a few practices and it wasnt loud despite the fact that they were in the garage. The second time we got the cops called on us, I had to work, and was going to practice after I got done, by the time i got there, the cops shut us down.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    My new roommate plays guitar and bass and he has ads on some online lists, looking for people to jam with and he just had a drummer contact him, so I think we'll all be jamming pretty soon too somewhere. Looking forward to it. Its fun to just mess around sometimes.