Ticketmaster

SOLAT7979SOLAT7979 Posts: 75
Of all the nonsense they get away with, not allowing people to sell their tickets on the F2F for below face value, might be the worst stunt they pull. With all the good seats they have been dropping for the last few shows a couple days/hours out, I feel for the folks who then have a much harder time getting rid of their tickets and get suck with a $200/400 loss.

Sucks.

Comments

• bootlegbootleg Posts: 674
    I feel like eventually this will lead to some type of lawsuit.  Don’t see how you can have market pricing yet not allow others to adjust to the market.
  • Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 5,596
    bootleg said:
    I feel like eventually this will lead to some type of lawsuit.  Don’t see how you can have market pricing yet not allow others to adjust to the market.
    Speaking of...

PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II, 05/16 & 05/18/24: Las Vegas I & II, 08/29 & 08/31/24: Wrigley Field I & II, 09/03 & 09/04/24: MSG I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, Bugs/all of Vitalogy, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), The Long Road, Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways, Ghost, Bu$hleaguer, WWS, Parachutes, Army Reserve, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Fatal, Hitchhiker, Education, Black Red Yellow, Of the Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Gonna See My Friend, Amongst the Waves, Santa Cruz, Infallible, Yellow Moon, Alright, Comes Then Goes, Got to Give, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,889
    It sucks, but you did have to agree to that rule not once, but twice to complete the purchase. If they let you lower the price, it would hurt the band's sales of regular priced tickets. To be honest, the fact that you can do unlimited purchases and sales without paying any fees is a pretty good deal. 

• RS72927RS72927 Posts: 9
    In case this helps anybody at upcoming shows, my buddy from work (casual fan) told me this about his tickets for LV1(Thur):

He is not a 10C member, and missed the public onsale. When the Fan-2-Fan exchange still was not enabled a couple weeks after, he panicked and bought two of the ‘limited view’ seats to make certain he at least got in the door. When F2F finally was enabled, he picked up a couple of better seats, and listed his limited view seats. Of course, with all the F2F available, and all the new Ticketmaster drops, his limited view seats at the same price were not appealing to anybody.

So here’s the good part, according to him, about two hours before showtime, Ticketmaster finally allowed him to drop the price $30 or so each ticket (Ticketmaster's pre-determined amount, he was not able to determine pricing himself), and they sold. He only had to eat $60 or so. I’m probably off by a couple of dollars, but I believe he said he paid about $377, and sold for about $313. He said it became very stressful, because he really cant afford to eat $377 after paying that same amount for the two tix he did use, plus merch, food & beverage, parking, etc. At least they sold, and he was able to enjoy the show not worried about it.

Hope that helps.
    1993: Las Vegas-1&2
    1995: Phoenix, Salt Lake City-1&2
    1997: Oakland (Rolling Stones)-1
    1998: Park City, Phoenix, Las Vegas
    2000: Las Vegas, San Diego, San Bernardino
    2002: Seattle (Key Arena)-1 [w/ Brad]
    2003: San Diego, Las Vegas, Phoenix
    2005: George WA, Atlantic City-1&2
    2006: Las Vegas, San Diego, Los Angeles-1&2, George WA-1&2
    2009: Seattle-1&2, Universal City CA-1&2, San Diego
    2012: [Flight to Mars-Las Vegas]; [Eddie Vedder Solo-Las Vegas-1&2]
    2013: Phoenix, San Diego, Los Angeles-1&2
    2022: San Diego, Phoenix, [GA Pit tix for cancelled Las Vegas]
    2024 Las Vegas- 1&2

Running Totals:  PJ-38,  EV-2,  FTM-1,  Brad-1
  • bootlegbootleg Posts: 674
    RS72927 said:
    In case this helps anybody at upcoming shows, my buddy from work (casual fan) told me this about his tickets for LV1(Thur):

He is not a 10C member, and missed the public onsale. When the Fan-2-Fan exchange still was not enabled a couple weeks after, he panicked and bought two of the ‘limited view’ seats to make certain he at least got in the door. When F2F finally was enabled, he picked up a couple of better seats, and listed his limited view seats. Of course, with all the F2F available, and all the new Ticketmaster drops, his limited view seats at the same price were not appealing to anybody.

So here’s the good part, according to him, about two hours before showtime, Ticketmaster finally allowed him to drop the price $30 or so each ticket (Ticketmaster's pre-determined amount, he was not able to determine pricing himself), and they sold. He only had to eat $60 or so. I’m probably off by a couple of dollars, but I believe he said he paid about $377, and sold for about $313. He said it became very stressful, because he really cant afford to eat $377 after paying that same amount for the two tix he did use, plus merch, food & beverage, parking, etc. At least they sold, and he was able to enjoy the show not worried about it.

Hope that helps.
    That is interesting.  I think that’s the first I’ve heard of that happening so that is good info.
  • BSullyBSully Posts: 1,183
    I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact they were limited view seats?
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
  • SOLAT7979SOLAT7979 Posts: 75
    SHZA said:
    It sucks, but you did have to agree to that rule not once, but twice to complete the purchase. If they let you lower the price, it would hurt the band's sales of regular priced tickets. To be honest, the fact that you can do unlimited purchases and sales without paying any fees is a pretty good deal. 

You're right about that. You know the deal with that heading in.

I guess I just really feel for the 10C fan who put in for a bunch of shows, because they are begging to get one or two. Then they get saddled with 4+, because they hit everything and now of to get rid of a couple shows. You're going in blind to the lottery, then don't have any flexibility when things stack up against you.
  • FlyBono24FlyBono24 Posts: 144
    edited May 23
    Stubhub pisses me off more than TM...  they will Deactivate your listing with no notice, for any reason.
    Usually it's because they haven't sold until the last minute, and if they don't have your barcodes (which most events don't have anymore) they will Deactivate your listing 4-5 hours before the event starts.  WITH NO NOTICE!!

I couldn't make the Sessanta (Maynard's bands, A Perfect Circle, Puscifer, etc) show a few months ago and listed them.  A few hours before the show I checked to see why they hadn't sold.  They were fucking INACTIVE >:(  With no emails or anything, I had no clue how long they had already been inactive...  I lowered the price and for some reason they still deactivated them immediately after changing the price.  They ended up not selling at all and I ate $300
    Fuckers... someone should sue them again
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,039
    FlyBono24 said:
    Stubhub pisses me off more than TM...  they will Deactivate your listing with no notice, for any reason.
    Usually it's because they haven't sold until the last minute, and if they don't have your barcodes (which most events don't have anymore) they will Deactivate your listing 4-5 hours before the event starts.  WITH NO NOTICE!!

I couldn't make the Sessanta (Maynard's bands, A Perfect Circle, Puscifer, etc) show a few months ago and listed them.  A few hours before the show I checked to see why they hadn't sold.  They were fucking INACTIVE >:(  With no emails or anything, I had no clue how long they had already been inactive...  I lowered the price and for some reason they still deactivated them immediately after changing the price.  They ended up not selling at all and I ate $300
    I had the same thing happen to me through Stub Hub but it was for a baseball game. No notice - nothing. And by the time I noticed it was inactive, it was already too late. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • FlyBono24FlyBono24 Posts: 144
    The local news was just talking about Pearl Jam last night at the LA2 show, they were outside asking people about the Ticketmaster issues.
    Today the DOJ said they are planning to break up LiveNation/TM, and they mentioned again PJ's battle against them in 94 and the more recent "Swifties" issues
  • MJ178168MJ178168 Posts: 152
    SOLAT7979 said:
    SHZA said:

I guess I just really feel for the 10C fan who put in for a bunch of shows, because they are begging to get one or two. Then they get saddled with 4+, because they hit everything and now of to get rid of a couple shows. You're going in blind to the lottery, then don't have any flexibility when things stack up against you.
    I don't feel bad in this instance.   There are lots of us who only put in what we could afford and lost out because we didn't do this.  Everyone knew the rules going in.  I'm now scrambling to find tickets just as this person is to sell them.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    MJ178168 said:
    SOLAT7979 said:
    SHZA said:

I don't feel bad in this instance.   There are lots of us who only put in what we could afford and lost out because we didn't do this.  Everyone knew the rules going in.  I'm now scrambling to find tickets just as this person is to sell them.
    Agree.  People putting in for shows they “might” attend hurts the people that really want to go to that show.  And I get life happens and things come up but those are not the people I’m addressing here. 

And if people think breaking up Ticketmaster and Live Nation is going to lower ticket prices they are sadly mistaken.  Touring is the only viable revenue stream for bands these days.  Their cuts aren’t going to get smaller in the future 
    FlyBono24 said:

When you listed the tickets, it would have stated the time when the listing would expire. Which is usually four hours before the event start time if you have to transfer the tickets to the buyer. I've noticed with a couple of recent listings that they give you the option to preauthorize the transfer and have the listing stay active later. 
    SOLAT7979 said:
    SHZA said:

Last tour I put in for a bunch and got like 8 shows when I was expecting 1-2. The seats were pretty average so I listed them tight away when F2F opened and they sold quickly. If I had waited a few weeks, some might not have sold. I guess my point is that if someone puts themselves in that situation, it's not really ticketmaster screwing them.