Options

Tour stats so far

BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,808
edited May 23 in Given To Fly (live)
There have been 201 songs played in total across eight shows, for an average of 25.1 songs per set. There have been 88 different songs played across the eight shows, for an average of 11 unique songs per show. Dark Matter tracks have accounted or 64 of the 201 songs played thus far on the Dark Matter Tour (an average of eight per night), or 31.8 percent of the total. All albums have been represented.
I gather speed from you fucking with me.
Post edited by BF25394 on

Comments

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,024
    Surprised at how many DM are played each night especially the same city 2 show nights. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    Surprised at how many DM are played each night especially the same city 2 show nights. 
    I'm not really surprised since this is the Dark Matter Tour. And it's also consistent with how Pearl Jam has approached prior tours. Even with Gigaton, despite the year-and-a-half delay (and two full years for a proper tour), there was an effort to play a lot of the new tracks until Matts COVID diagnosis forced them to radically change the plan.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    PJNB said:
    I'm not really surprised since this is the Dark Matter Tour. And it's also consistent with how Pearl Jam has approached prior tours. Even with Gigaton, despite the year-and-a-half delay (and two full years for a proper tour), there was an effort to play a lot of the new tracks until Matts COVID diagnosis forced them to radically change the plan.
    Check LA N1 and N2 2022 out. Its not even close to the same. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    BF25394 said:
    PJNB said:
    I was at those shows. They played six songs from Gigaton the first night, after having played eight at the prior show in San Diego. Given that it had been two years since the album came out, that's still a pretty serious commitment to playing their newest material.
  • Options
    Hankj25Hankj25 Posts: 288
    The focus on pre 2000’s stuff in the other spots is very intriguing to me.  The setlists have been pretty good, but I’d love to hear a little more Binural, Avacado, etc instead of 5-6 songs from Ten.  

However, given the nature of the DM tour, those songs are probably being squeezed due to the need to feature 7-8 DM songs per night.  My hope is by US leg 2 they’ll cut that down to about 5.  DM stuff sounds good live though, so it’s not the worst decision to play it!
    Seattle 8-8-18
    Chicago 8-18-18
    Chicago 8-20-18
    St. Louis 4-4-20
    Denver 4-9-20

Denver 9-22-22
    Noblesville 9-10-23
    Vancouver 5-6-24
    Seattle 5-30-24
    Noblesville 8-26-24

EV
    Chicago 2-9-22
    Tempe 2-26-23
  • Options
    edited May 20
    BF25394 said:
    PJNB said:
    BF25394 said:
    PJNB said:
    I was at those shows. They played six songs from Gigaton the first night, after having played eight at the prior show in San Diego. Given that it had been two years since the album came out, that's still a pretty serious commitment to playing their newest material.
    They played 9 new songs over two nights in LA. 

They are playing 18 new songs roughly over two nights now. 

Its a big difference imo.
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,595
    PJNB said:
    BF25394 said:
    PJNB said:
    BF25394 said:
    PJNB said:

It’s a big difference imo.
    They know DM is a much better album. 30+% of the set is a lot though. Five songs a night seems plenty. 
  • Options
    yosiyosi NYC Posts: 2,720
    BF25394 said:
    All albums except Backspacer have been represented.
    This is the way. 
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• Options
    BSullyBSully Indiana Posts: 1,090
    PJNB said:
    BF25394 said:
    PJNB said:
    BF25394 said:
    PJNB said:

They know DM is a much better album. 30+% of the set is a lot though. Five songs a night seems plenty. 
    I mean, this is the Dark Matter tour...
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    BF25394 said:
    PJNB said:
    BF25394 said:
    PJNB said:

I don't disagree with you that it's a big difference, but that was why I singled out Gigaton, i.e., because the circumstances of the Gigaton tour were unlike any prior tour, where a lot of time elapsed between the album's release and the shows because of the postponements, and even still they played a significant number of songs from it, at least at the start before the tour got derailed. I still think their approach this time is consistent with their general M.O. when they have a new album. The shows in the fall of 2009 were heavy on Backspacer. The shows in the fall of 2013 were heavy on Lightning Bolt. Etc.
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    BF25394 said:
    PJNB said:
    BF25394 said:
    PJNB said:

I don't think it's that. I think they were psyched to play Gigaton songs, but by the time they got the chance to do it, two years had passed. Eight Gigaton songs in San Diego and six on Night 1 in L.A. still shows they wanted to play the new stuff. Once Matt went down, those songs fell out of rotation because Josh only knows the first five albums (by his own account-- he told me this directly) and Richard was learning on the fly.
  • Options
    Hankj25 said:
    The focus on pre 2000’s stuff in the other spots is very intriguing to me.  The setlists have been pretty good, but I’d love to hear a little more Binural, Avacado, etc instead of 5-6 songs from Ten.  

However, given the nature of the DM tour, those songs are probably being squeezed due to the need to feature 7-8 DM songs per night.  My hope is by US leg 2 they’ll cut that down to about 5.  DM stuff sounds good live though, so it’s not the worst decision to play it!
    I would happily replace much of the Ten material with stuff from Riot Act through Gigaton, but I'm generally going to enjoy whatever they play. I'm not chasing any songs, although I do have favorites, of course.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,377
    BSully said:
    PJNB said:
    BF25394 said:
    PJNB said:
    BF25394 said:
    PJNB said:

I think the issue is how it's contributing to so many repeats on 2 night stands so far. 9/25 repeats with around half coming from Dark Matter is a lot. If we were getting the full album over both nights with maybe a song or two repeated, totally cool.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    PJNB said:
    BF25394 said:
    PJNB said:
    BF25394 said:
    PJNB said:

I don't disagree with you that it's a big difference, but that was why I singled out Gigaton, i.e., because the circumstances of the Gigaton tour were unlike any prior tour, where a lot of time elapsed between the album's release and the shows because of the postponements, and even still they played a significant number of songs from it, at least at the start before the tour got derailed. I still think their approach this time is consistent with their general M.O. when they have a new album. The shows in the fall of 2009 were heavy on Backspacer. The shows in the fall of 2013 were heavy on Lightning Bolt. Etc.
    Of course they are heavy with the new album. Everyone should have expected that.

9 shows a night though is still a surprise. Its a lot. 
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,723
    I think Vegas 2 had 6 DM songs, and they played 10 unique out of the 11 over 2 nights. I wanted to hear Waiting for Stevie again though.  B)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    BSully said:
    PJNB said:
    BF25394 said:
    PJNB said:
    BF25394 said:
    PJNB said:

I think the issue is how it's contributing to so many repeats on 2 night stands so far. 9/25 repeats with around half coming from Dark Matter is a lot. If we were getting the full album over both nights with maybe a song or two repeated, totally cool.
    It's totally cool either way. Most acts repeat way more than nine songs out of 25 in a two-night stand. Springsteen played two nights in L.A. last month and repeated 23 songs out of 31 the second night.
  • Options
    edited May 20
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    BSully said:
    PJNB said:
    BF25394 said:
    PJNB said:
    BF25394 said:
    PJNB said:

It's totally cool either way. Most acts repeat way more than nine songs out of 25 in a two-night stand. Springsteen played two nights in L.A. last month and repeated 23 songs out of 31 the second night.
    I typically don't go to more than one show on any given tour for this reason. Pearl Jam has been a very rare exception.
  • Options
    edited May 20
    And by the way I also understand how this makes no difference for some people. U2 has a fairly standard set on a given tour and I know more than one person who will follow them around. It's just not for me. There are just way too many shows around right now. Not to mention prices being what they are.
  • Options
    yoyoyoyo France Posts: 312
    for the statistics...🤘😁
    I had fun making the setlists for the 4 shows that I will have the chance to attend if no loss of voice or worse... Eddie if you read me!?

Berlin1
    01. Oceans
    02. Fatal
    03. Black
    04. Present Tense
    05. Scared of fear
    06. React, Respond
    07. Wreckage
    08. Leach
    09. Dark Matter
    10. Wishlist
    11. Lukin
    12. Running
    13. Even Flow
    14. Upper Hand
    15. Waiting for Stevie
    16. Hail Hail
    17. Nothing as it seems
    18. Last Exit
    Encore break
    19. Can't Keep
    20. Retrograde
    21. Insignificance
    22. Corduroy
    23. Breath
    24. Alive
    25. Yellow Ledbetter
    26. Setting Sun

Berlin2
    01. Release
    02. I'm open
    03. Pendulum
    04. Smile
    05. Scrared of fear
    06. React, respond
    07. Wreckage
    08. Blood
    09. Dark Matter
    10. Given to Fly
    11. Light Years
    12. Running
    13. Jeremy
    14. Upper Hand
    15. In My Tree
    16. Dirty Frank
    17. Unemployable
    18. Rearviewmirror
    Encore break
    19. All or None
    20. Bugs
    21. Brain Of J
    22. Not for you
    23. Just a girl
    24. Deep
    25. Setting Sun

Barcelona1
    01. Long road
    02. Seven o'clock
    03. Off He Goes
    04. Won't tell
    05. Scared of fear
    06. React, respond
    07. Wreckage
    08. Animal
    09. Dark matter
    10. Spin the black circle
    11. Slow Lukin
    12. Running
    13. Better man
    14. Upper Hand
    15. Waiting for Stevie
    16. Sad
    17. Of the girl
    18. Porch
    Encore break
    19. Walking the cow
    20. Inside Job
    21. No way
    22. Corduroy
    23. Indifference
    24. Amongst the wave
    25. Setting Sun

Barcelona2
    01. Who you are
    02. Hard to imagine
    03. Around the bend
    04. Go
    05. Fear of fear
    06. React, respond
    07. Wreckage
    08. Rats
    09. Dark matter
    10. Just a Girl
    11. Sleight of hand
    12. Running
    13. Garden
    14. Upper Hand
    15. Waiting for Stevie
    16. Tremor Christ
    17. Strangest Tribe
    18. I Got Shit
    Encore break
    19. River Cross
    20. Infaillible
    21. Do the evolution
    22. Nothing man
    23. Got Some
    24. Alive
    25. Believe you me/Immortality
    26. Setting Sun

27. Invincible...

😉🤘🤟🎵😁

These pieces could potentially be suitable just in case!?

Grievance
    Rival
    Bushleaguer
    I am mine
    Save you
    The end
    Who ever said
    Push me, pull me
    Faithfull
    Parting Ways
    You are
    Army Reserve

😁
    1996-PARIS
    2000-PARIS
    2006-ANVERS-MARSEILLE-PARIS
    2007-LONDRES-NIJMEGEN-WERCHTER
    2008-ED SOLO-LOS ANGELES1-LOS ANGELES2
    2009-LONDRES
    2010-DUBLIN-ARRAS
    2012-AMSTERDAM1-ARRAS-STOCKHOLM-OSLO-COPENHAGUE
    2014-MILAN
    2017-ED SOLO-AMSTERDAM1
    2018-ROME
    2022-PARIS-AMSTERDAM1(Canceled)-AMSTERDAM2
    2024-BERLIN1-BERLIN2-BARCELONE1-BARCELONE2
  • Options
    Nice sets Yoyo! 

If they play Parting Ways at any of my 9 shows this tour I can die a happy man! 
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    And by the way I also understand how this makes no difference for some people. U2 has a fairly standard set on a given tour and I know more than one person who will follow them around. It's just not for me. There are just way too many shows around right now. Not to mention prices being what they are.
    I am (myself) like you (somehow). The only bands I will see repeatedly are Pearl Jam and Wilco. Pearl Jam always changes things up a lot from night to night, and Wilco usually does.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    I am (myself) like you (somehow). The only bands I will see repeatedly are Pearl Jam and Wilco. Pearl Jam always changes things up a lot from night to night, and Wilco usually does.
    The only other one for me is My Morning Jacket. They'll consistently go no repeats when they have multiple shows in a city. If I was into jam bands this would be like every show.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,723
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    The only other one for me is My Morning Jacket. They'll consistently go no repeats when they have multiple shows in a city. If I was into jam bands this would be like every show.
    MMJ essentially has a guarantee of no repeats in the same city. And they always bring it.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    MMJ essentially has a guarantee of no repeats in the same city. And they always bring it.
    Always, every time, and without exception 
  • Options
    TA243471TA243471 The Great Northwest Posts: 1,226
    I haven't minded seeing so much of the new album yet. Also, You can't help but have fun when you see how energized Stone is during the new songs.
    • 2006: Gorge 1
    • 2009: Seattle 1
    • 2013: Seattle
    • 2016: Wrigley 1 & 2
    • 2018: Seattle 1&2, Montana
    • 2020: San Diego, LA 1&2, Oakland 1&2
    • 2022: San Diego, LA 1&2, Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Denver
    • 2024: Vancouver 1, Portland, Las Vegas 1&2, Seattle 1&2
  • Options
    danofundanofun Posts: 808
    TA243471 said:
    I haven't minded seeing so much of the new album yet. Also, You can't help but have fun when you see how energized Stone is during the new songs.
    Viewing a setlist and using that as the sole factor in determining an evenings "success" misses a number of key, contributing factors, not the least of which is the energy inside the room. It's live music and the feelings evoked are what keep us constantly coming back for more!
  • Options
    Original post updated to reflect L.A. shows.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,424
    edited May 25
    BF25394 said:
    PJNB said:
    BF25394 said:
    PJNB said:
    BF25394 said:
    PJNB said:

@PJNB isn’t saying album tours are not heavy on the album they are out touring. 

1998 - LA (Yield tour)
    Night 1: 6
    Night 2: 5
    = 11
    Overlap: 4
    44 songs total over two nights
    25% Yield

2006 - LA (S/T tour)
    Night 1: 10 including Wasted Reprise
    Night 2: 5
    = 15
    Overlap: 4 songs
    58 songs total over two nights
    26% Avocado with Wasted Reprise
    24% Avocado without Wasted Reprise

2009 - LA (Backspacer Tour)
    Night 1: 8
    Night 2: 6
    = 14
    Overlap: 5 songs
    58 songs total over two nights
    24% Backspacer

2013 - LA (Lightning Bolt Tour)
    Night 2: 7
    = 13
    Overlap: 3 songs
    66 songs total over two nights
    20% Lightning Bolt

2022 - LA (Gigaton Tour)
    Night 2: 3
    = 9
    Overlap: 0 songs
    48 songs played over two nights
    19% Gigaton

2024 - LA (Dark Matter tour)
    Night 1: 9
    Night 2: 7
    = 16
    Overlap: 6 songs
    51 songs played over two nights
    31% Dark Matter

Math and data can be wonky

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"