Two questions concerning acoustics

casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
edited June 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
1) Me and some friends and a lot of other cool people are going on a festival/camping trip to France this summer for a couple of days. I'm thinking of taking one of my acoustics with me.

We're going in a car and we're camping in tents, I have a soft case. I am wondering about the heat, sunshine, rain (?) ... how will it affect my guitar?

I have a cheapo that sounds half decent, but has a sentimental value (gift from my g/f). And I have my pretty rare and not so cheap Guild that plays like a dream. The easy answer is to take the cheap one. But on the other hand: I don't buy guitars to start a museum, I want to play them. Which one would you bring?

2) When restringing acoustics, I seem to have some problems removing the bridge pins. I made scratches in my cheapo because the pins weren't coming out easily - even my guitar guizmo didn't work that smoothly. I do think that the bridge pins and the holes are sorta worn out on the cheapo I practically had to go digging after some of the pins. I don't want to risk that with the guild (the pins and the bridge here look very good and solid though). Any tricks?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    definitely take the cheapo.

can't help on the bridge pins and my little string winder doohickey has always worked well. i do know that they don't necessarily have to go as far into the bridge as they will when pushed. not that i'm saying you're jamming them in there.
  • jbdjbd Posts: 65
    Yeah french festivals ! Which ones you going to ?

If I were you I'd take the cheap one though...
    "Fuck the kids ! Except the ones who are buying our records! They're fucking themselves!" - Mark Arm
  • jbdjbd Posts: 65
    And by the way trick for removing the bridge pin : get your hand underneath the bridge after taking off the strings and simply push them out...
    "Fuck the kids ! Except the ones who are buying our records! They're fucking themselves!" - Mark Arm
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Take the cheapo, trust me.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    cheapo. Sentimentially, it won't matter if the neck gets warped because you have the guild. My sentimential Peavy, never makes it out of the case anymore (the fender never makes it to the case..:D)

other than a bridge pin leaver (found in most guitar kits) there's not much easier than that. The leaver looks like a little open end wrench made of plastic with a little space for the pin and a bent up end. Should cost you less than 1 Euro.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
    jbd wrote:
    Yeah french festivals ! Which ones you going to ?

It's called Counting Cows :D A friend invited me, it's a Belgian guy who lives there who organizes it. It's 200 people, some shows (no big names or anything), BBQ, movies, relaxing, swimming and plain old fun. It's in La Musardière, Murat.

Exhausted: you might have point though. I think the pin holes are worn out and some pins are just too deep. Even the strings have scoured the wood.

Paco: my guitar guizmo has a pin leaver. It worked on some pins, not all. I took a look at the Guild and I think it shoulw work fine, the pins have enough room for the leaver to get under them.

And okay then, I'm bringing the cheapo!
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Good choice!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    It seems like your set, but if it were me, I wouldn't bring any. I know it's hard to go a while without your guitar, but when it's not in a really safe place I tend to worry about it. There's always a chance it could get stolen too. I would use a hard case, but that's not an option for either of us. Plus, when you can finally play it again, you'll just feel so refreshed.
    Happiness is only real when shared