Existential gear crisis: someone talk some sense into me... or something

casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
edited October 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm just a bedroom player, never been in a band, probably never will. The ambition just isn't there to do so. And I suck at playing anyway, I've reached a ceiling about three years ago, trying to learn some theory now to get passed that, but I ain't never gonna be great. Now for my gear crisis: okay, here's my "set-up":

guitars:
- Limited Edition Epihone LP with Gibson pups (problem with the jack and a buzzing g-string, I thinks it's the nut)
- 1993 Fender USA Tele with rosewood neck
- Vantage acoustic (crap, but sounds good to me and I love it)

amps: Fender Champ and Fender Vibro Champ

pedals: Shannon OD and a Boss Flanger BF-1 (yes, the big blue one, found it on my sisters attic, but no adaptor)

My problem: I don't have a clue where I'm going, gearwise :confused: Except for the amps and the shannon OD, maybe.

I'v been thinking about selling the Epi for a while now, but now I'm at the point of selling my tele as well, so I can get me... a new tele, preferably one with a big maple neck, like the Mexican one I used to have before it got stolen. My USA tele doesn't really do it for me (anymore): the look, the feel... I'm at a point where I think: one decent, cool electric guitar is enough for you.

I've seen a Mexican tele, nice sunburst for 400€, but of course that would mean losing quality (wouldn't it?), and I would like my only guitar to be a nice sounding one. Right now I think I'm aiming for a vintage white or sunburst USA made Tele with a big maple neck. On the other hand, do I need to pay big bucks for a hobby I hardly have time for anyway?

I also think I'm gonna sell the Boss Flanger, cause it's just laying around here. Never used it, never bothered to get an adaptor. On top of that I think the effect is just to out there for my playing.

So uhm... does anyone have any thoughts? Suggestions?

ps: In case you were wondering, yes, I'm neurotic as hell
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I say turn it over, sell sell sell, there is absolutely nothing wrong going with the mexican, infact, I'd almost suggest you go with the Mexi after selling the others, then upgrade the tuners to locking, and talk to http://www.callahamguitars.com about thier bridge, then upgrade the pups to something badass like Fralins or Lollars or Harmonic Design and go to town. For about the same price as the USA you'll have slightly lower quality wood but much better everything else. It'll definately be a keeper and you won't feel to bad about beating it up because the initial cost was lower. :D In fact you could get some local artist to paint Stefan or Pearlwax or what have you on the pickguard or the body and make it even more custom. PS: check out http://www.tedweber.com (you too mig) for an 8 in speaker blowout this month. You can get an Alnico 8 for your champ for 25 US wow!

Sell the BF-1 but maybe try The Gear Page first, and definately find out an approximate value so you don't get hosed.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Well that sounds swell, but you're forgetting I'm in Belgium, aren't you. This is the country where you go to a guitarshop and they won't touch your guitar unless you bought it there. Guitarshops over here hate Ebay and the used market ;) Same problem with the Epi, I could get more cash from it if I got it fixed, but I just don't know where to take it!

It would take me ages to get that upgraded as well. And though Callaham is probably great, it would cost me triple in customs.

Did I mention I don't know anything about electronics AND I have two left hands?

What would you think is a decent price for the BF-1, it's kinda vintage, isn't it?

okay, I nede to go now, I'll see what ever everybody has to say.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    sell the flanger. but i hate flange so take that into account.

sell the epi but hold on to the tele until the right replacement comes along.

keep both amps because the value is going up fast.

keep the OD because, though the resale isn't there, his pedals are damn good.

and know that there are bigger fools than you perceive yourself to be about gear.

like me :o.
    exhausted wrote:

and know that there are bigger fools than you perceive yourself to be about gear.

like me :o.

cooler heads prevail. damn. You're right, why not sell the EPI and the Flanger and put the money into the above upgrades......think of it as breast enhancement surgery for your tele. :D
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhausted wrote:

Sounds like a decent enough plan. I'll keep the tele untill something better comes along. I'm definitly keeping the amps, not just because of the value, but because in combination with the OD they fit my needs perfectly.

As for the Epi and the Flanger: how much do you think I should ask? Epi has above mentioned shortcomings, but a sweet case to go with it. The flanger is in good condition, but has no adaptor.

Paco, you're wack, but I'm sure you know that :D
  • Dont ever sell a Tele.......You will miss it like losing an appendage. Even if you cant play it well right now, once you get better, there is no tool like a Tele.....

Shawn
    pearlwax wrote:
    As for the Epi and the Flanger: how much do you think I should ask? Epi has above mentioned shortcomings, but a sweet case to go with it. The flanger is in good condition, but has no adaptor.

honestly i don't know. i'm bad for guesstimating prices. expecially on guitars since i deal in the left-handed world.
  • Scuba200ft wrote:
    Dont ever sell a Tele.......You will miss it like losing an appendage. Even if you cant play it well right now, once you get better, there is no tool like a Tele.....

I would sell the Tele... to buy a Tele. One that suits me better. I don't need two Tele's. I can't afford two Tele's.
  • pearlwax wrote:
    . I can't afford two Tele's.

I cant afford 68 guitars, but I own them anyway......

5e386278.jpg

Shawn in Tampa.......
    Scuba200ft wrote:
    I cant afford 68 guitars, but I own them anyway......

5e386278.jpg

Shawn in Tampa.......

That's the first Charvel I've seen that had a justifiable 5A top.

I bet the two fenders get the most play.
  • This could be nice as a replacement if it has a thick neck... Change the pickguard into a regular white one, which I have lying around anyway.

http://users.telenet.be/vigier/

that THD amp looks cool as well

PS: 68? Sixty Fucking Eight! :eek:
  • If you like the sound of your Tele, and the body is fine, and don't like te neck, and if you can unscrew 4 screws and screw them back in again, consider doing something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2004-Fender-Telecaster-Tele-BIRDSEYE-MAPLE-NECK-Guitar_W0QQitemZ7359726332QQcategoryZ41423QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I know you can do it, man!! :D Teles and Strats are like old volkswagons. You can change things really easily.
    Just a thought, but if what you have sounds to your liking, but the neck just doesn't feel right, try a new neck! :D

But if you don't like your Tele overall, then maybe a different one would keep you happy for a while. Mexi ones are a bit more iffy, though. They're good, but there is more of a variety in quality on them.
    Do you have a place there where you can sit and play Teles? I don't think there's any use mail ordering guitars all the way to Belgium if can't hear it or feel it.

Hey! Come on back over here! I'll meet up with you again in NYC. There're 9 million people there. I KNOW we can find you one there!

I agree, keep the Shannon! You won't do better than that. I just ordered a uniphase from Eric today! :cool:

Keep the Fender amps.

Sell the Epi. Not because I think you need to, but you want to and I'm just helping you make a decision! :D

Sit down and play your Tele, and think about everything on it and what you like and don't like. Sound , feel, neck, color, switches etc. Write it down, and think what you want to make it better, and think about if you'll find better. Except for the body color, you can change anything you want on that easily.
    Then get back to us and maybe we can give you 500 different opinions on what to do to upgrade it! :D

If you want me to send anything over from the States, I'll be happy to, also.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Here's what happened: I e-mailed a bit with the owner and he told me that the guitar was located in a guitarshop in my city, 5 minutes (on bicycle!) from where I work. So after work I went there, checked it out, played it and it was sweet :D Nice neck, good action, 4-way switch (instead of 3-way) and just beautiful to hear and to see.

So here's what's next, and I want your opinion on my (lacking) skills as a salesman:

I'm going to pick it up and pay for it (800€ + free white pickguard) tomorrow. Meanwhile I'm bringing in the Epi LP for him to fix (since I'm now buying in his shop, he was more than willing).

Here's the tough part. I told him about my other Tele and that I basically wanted to sell that one so that it sorta tuns out like I just trade one Tele for another, no financial loss. Financial gain would be nice, but not necessary. I tell him what Tele I have and the shopmanager goes: 'put it up here and it will be sold in an instant AND you'll get your money back'. Now he asks 10% of whatever price it goes for, I call the price. So this would mean I need to sell it for 880€ to get my 800 back. He sais he can do that, easily. He said - of course he would, duh - that I can just as easily drop my Flanger and Epi in to sell. same deal, no obligations.

My question - or my g/f's question :D - is: should I do that, or do I put the tele on the internet (no Ebay though, I don't do Ebay)? I know that I basically can't ask for much more than 900 for it (I bought it for 850), and basically people try and get the price down anyway or they don't buy. If I go with the guitarshop, I can go there for everything: fixing stuff, upgrading stuff, anything.

What do I do?
    since it's consignment, the 10% is probably fair. and pretty hassle free. and it's not like you lose anything if it doesn't sell.

so me, being the lazy guy i am, would throw the stuff on consignment first.
    consignment is easier, unless you are selling locally over the internet, (no shipping is blissful)

Ask, 900 or 920 have him come down to 880 so they feel like they are getting a deal. All people really want is to feel like they got a good deal on something. You aren't screwing anyone. Ebay/Paypal Fees are substantially less, but it can't hurt to have a good relationship with the shop.
  • Yup, just like Ex and Paco said. If he says he can get it, give him a shot.
    He's a salesperson, so he knows how to do that stuff. Hell, you just bought something from him!
    I hate selling stuff. It's a time factor. Think of the time you'll spend answering phones, meeting people that don't end up buying it, or offering you pitiful sums for it when they're face to face with you.

Congratulations, too! That's WAY better than my suggestion, and all the work that I put into it, and the thinking and time. :D

And by the way, Hi, Pearlwax, and tell your girlfriend I said hi, too! :)
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Thanks, Paco, Ex, Who's? for all your thinking. You guys rock hard - and as of tomorrow: so wil I, in a brand new fashion ;)

Edit: Hi back at ya Bob, from Veerle as well!

btw: dude had a Korean Fender Tele for 599€: solid wood body, a brand new maple neck like the one Bob posted above and two for real seymour duncan pups. Looked sweet as well. Talk about value for money!