string gauge vs. action

casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
edited November 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
so my new tele is awesome and has really good, low action. Yesterday I changed the strings and now I suffer from some fret buzz on the A and D string. I don't know what gauge of strings was on there before, but now I put on some .010-.046 and the buzz is there. now I think - not sure - that new strings have a tendency to buzz somewhat louder.

First I assumed that strings with a thinner gauge would cause less buzz, well, cause they're thinner, but now I've read somewhere that it's the other way around: thicker strings will cause less buzz because "the thicker the string gauge, the less it will "bounce around" after playing" (thought this was on a site about banjo maintenace :D). Is that the case? Would thicker strings make a difference?

I've always played with .010 and I don't like strings that are too thin, especially on a tele, but I'd really hate to set the action higher, cause it is very smooth to play as it is, and still not to low if you ask me.

So my dillema: do you change the string gauge (and will/does that make a difference) or do you change the action?

Or will the buzzing sound less harsh when the strings get played in more?

(yeah, me getting a new guitar is some serious effort :D:o)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    well, if the strings you've put on are lighter, there is less tension on the neck, which would cause it to straighten a bit, lowering the action and perhaps causing the buzz.

usually on a string gauge change, you'll have to adjust the set up slightly to compensate for the difference in tension.

you may be able to get away with just slightly raising the saddles for the A and D strings depending on where the buzz is (ie, at what point on the neck are the strings fretting out and buzzing).
  • exhausted wrote:
    well, if the strings you've put on are lighter, there is less tension on the neck, which would cause it to straighten a bit, lowering the action and perhaps causing the buzz.

So thicker strings could make the difference? I've e-mailed the previous owner to ask him what gauge he used.

Either way, I'm not messing with the saddle myself. I need to get the Epi this week and if it would be the better idea to fix the set-up a bit, I'll let the guy in the shop do it for me.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    that's probably the best. set-ups and these tiny adjustments can be a pain in the ass at times.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    thicker strings have more mass, which precludes them from more string interaction that lighter gauge strings.

Also, if there is too much buzzing you can go to a different compound like pure nickle wrap (DR Pure Blues) instead of the "rock" alloys like GHS uses to make them brighter and louder.

I suggest you do a little light reading at http://www.custom-sounds.com/epages/customsounds.storefront/436775740033070e2742d94dcd01060c/UserTemplate/10

PS tighten the truss rod a good 1/4 turn with those 10's or as you said earlier just have it set up for 10's you'll like it better then anyhow.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • The shop it is then. I hope the action will still be smooth.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    pearlwax wrote:
    The shop it is then. I hope the action will still be smooth.

likely it won't change much. setting it up will help make it even. Once you get it set up for 10's do not deviate from that gauge and you will be ok for a while. You'll like it even better.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Yeah. I'm just a little worried cause last time I did that, with the other Tele, the guy really raised the action a lot, which kinda sucked. He sais it was the only way to avoid the buzzing. This time it's another shop, so... Come to think of it: it's the second time I had this... maybe I'm just hearing buzz where there isn't. New strings are pretty hard to tell, I actually hate how they sound, fresh out of the package.

Anyway, I'm taking it in tomorrow. Thanks for the input amigos.