Options

Billy Strings on Marc Maron's WTF Podcast

DB2707DB2707 Posts: 66
edited May 17 in The Porch
Nice story on today's WTF podcast with Billy Strings talking about the time that he met Ed and Ed gave him a Zippo and how much PJ music has meant to him and his family over the years.  He also mentioned that his mom is a huge fan of Yield.  I love it when worlds collide like this.   It's a worthy listen IMO.
Post edited by DB2707 on

Comments

• Options
    chaspjchaspj Portlandia Posts: 77
    Thanks, will check it out.  Caught him last year, he puts on a *monster* show.  I love that he's introducing lots of folks to bluegrass and taking the genre in new directions.  Not surprised he's a PJ fan!
    "Once you hold the hand of love, it's all surmountable"

Portland 2000
    Portland 2013
    Seattle I and II 2018
    Oakland I and II 2020 2022
    Nashvegas 2022
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,627
    Nice surprise when listening this morning. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,512
    edited May 17
    Why would it be a surprise he's a Pearl Jam fan? He covers their discography on tour
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    djjazzy276djjazzy276 Posts: 225
    I think the more surprising thing was how complimentary Maron was about the band. He's historically not been a fan, but he's had enough fans and contemporaries of the band on his show that maybe he's given them a second chance and started to come around. He's a great interviewer and the fact that he's NOT a big fan of the band is exactly why I've been dying to hear Eddie on his show. I think we'd get an angle that we hadn't seen/heard yet.
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,874
    I love that Billy is a PJ torchbearer for his generation, and always enjoy when he breaks out PJ tunes at his shows. When he plays Crown of Thorns the general reaction is it's always well-received and, for the most part, recognizable to the crowd's ears. Teach on and preach on, Billy. Looking forward to listening to Marc's interview :sunglasses:
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,021
    Great interview! I love that his favorite PJ album is Yield. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,627
    igotid88 said:
    Why would it be a surprise he's a Pearl Jam fan? He covers their discography on tour
    It wasn't. I know he covers PJ live.  I was surprised it was a big part of the conversation.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.