What, in your opinion, is the best electric guitar for rythm?

casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
edited December 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Guitars, like some actors, are the victims of typecasting. Sometimes undeserved. Since I suck at lead, I play rythm stuff mostly - chords etc. I suck at that as well, but it doesn't show as much.

Anyway, I play a Fender Tele, which is somewhat a general, straight forward guitar for rythm, isn't it?

But because of the typecasting thing, I was just wondering if anyone else thinks other guitars are great for rythm. and on a side note: are strats good rythm guitars?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pearlwax wrote:
    Guitars, like some actors, are the victims of typecasting. Sometimes undeserved. Since I suck at lead, I play rythm stuff mostly - chords etc. I suck at that as well, but it doesn't show as much.

Anyway, I play a Fender Tele, which is somewhat a general, straight forward guitar for rythm, isn't it?

But because of the typecasting thing, I was just wondering if anyone else thinks other guitars are great for rythm. and on a side note: are strats good rythm guitars?

I would say a strat is a good rythm guitar for sure + Teles - I own both, and use them as lead and rythm guitars. i think if you was looking for a guitar especially forthis purpose, and in the market for one, you may want something a little dirty like a solid mohogony guitar with P90's. nice thick rythm. strats tend to have a spanky sound, which i love, probably better as a lead guitar - but if you use good quality stomp boxes and know how to dial up a tube amp, you can use it for any sound really. I reckon it may not come down to style / make of guitar - rather the spec - pups / neck / bridge ect.

just my view
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    anything really.

Tom Petty has been a rhythm guitarist for oh 40 years and he's played a lot of stuff, teles, strats, and Ric's the most prominent.

Teles are very good all around.

Obviously Les Pauls and SG's. Stone, etc.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I use a Les Paul strictly, and I love the sound it adds to my band. The lead guitarist plays a Strat, and we kinda fill in each others empty spaces.
  • teles are great all-purpose

strats really only for lead
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • any halfway decent guitar with a humbucker in the bridge
    hate was just a legend
  • any halfway decent guitar with a humbucker in the bridge

You said it.
  • The first song I adored was Garden, and now...Uh, that's a hard decision to make...You are, Black, Spin the black circle, Given to fly...
  • they are all good rythem guitars..... you just need to find out what YOU like with the music that YOU like. you play jangle-pop? hard-core? punk? emo? rock? classic-rock? no one can answer these questions for you... you have to find it yourself.
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • I would have to go with a Gibson LP. I just love that club you over the head grit, and tone. Strats are great for leads, and for clean sounds, but there's something about a Gibson churning and grinding in the back. just my 2c
    What ain't a country I ever heard of. Do they speak English in what?
  • I would have to go with a Gibson LP. I just love that club you over the head grit, and tone. Strats are great for leads, and for clean sounds, but there's something about a Gibson churning and grinding in the back. just my 2c

I agree. I have a Les Paul and I play mostly rythm guitar and it just thickens everything up and really helps the entire mix. Plus, when I do step forward for a lead I have sustain for days and a tone that would rip your head off.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    The best guitar for rhythm, is the one that works best in your hands. It could be a $6000 Gustavsson, or a $200 Danelectro...whatever causes you to channel your magic is the best for you.
  • http://storeforknowledge.com/images/int-G02137.jpg

Either that, or whatever's laying around. :D

I think any guitar can be used for anything if you feel it.

Me, preferably, Strat for Funk, and African Rhythms, and Latin stuff.
    Tele - Great for blues and rock
    Les Paul or PRS or whatever Humbucker is great for Rockin out, and blues, too.
    Then that hollow body for Jazz. :cool:
    Myself, I'm a Strat type guy in the long run.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    http://www.soundclick.com/Arcticangel
    http://www.soundclick.com/Armadillo