Options

Slow Faithful?

Hugo ReyesHugo Reyes Posts: 244
Been around a while, never seen a slow Faithful before.  Anyone have a video?

Comments

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,005
    Was it intentional? 
  • Options
    Hugo ReyesHugo Reyes Posts: 244
    PJNB said:
    Was it intentional? 
    good question...I'm assuming so?  Sacramento people need to wake up and post some videos!
  • Options
    elitrionaelitriona Posts: 43
    edited May 14
    It was...weird. It did not sound slow to me. When they started playing it was like Jeff and Mike were not playing in the same key and Ed walked over and tried to sort it out without restarting the song and ended up just singing in a lower register for it I think to keep it from completely going off the rails. A bit of a dumpster fire on that one but you can't win 'em all. 
    Post edited by elitriona on
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,588
    It was so off they should have just restarted. 
  • Options
    MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 477
    edited May 14
    This is unfortunate to hear.  I always follow the setlist for these shows because I'm excited to see what gets played.  When I saw Faithful, I was so happy for you guys.  Maybe on the bootleg, on repeated listens, it will somehow become a cool altered version? (hopefully).  I'm now interested in hearing this.
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,087
    Remix
  • Options
    sfrenchsfrench Posts: 45
    It wasn’t really a slow version, but felt like it was about 3 steps down and with more minor chords.  It was certainly different, but once my ears adjusted it was a cool version
  • Options
    sfrench said:
    It wasn’t really a slow version, but felt like it was about 3 steps down and with more minor chords.  It was certainly different, but once my ears adjusted it was a cool version
    Awesome!  I LOVE minor chords.  Need to search for the video, surely someone has a recording?
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,239
    As someone else mentioned, it wasn't a slow version. The guys were out of key at the beginning but they fought through it and I enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Ok.  I just pulled out a guitar to figure this out.   What I believe happened is that Mike had a standard tuned guitar instead of a drop D tuning.  And then he just played all his normal parts in that tuning.
  • Options
    huntersthompsonhuntersthompson Posts: 857
    sfrench said:
    Ok.  I just pulled out a guitar to figure this out.   What I believe happened is that Mike had a standard tuned guitar instead of a drop D tuning.  And then he just played all his normal parts in that tuning.
    +1...
  • Options
    opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,179
    sfrench said:
    Can't be as bad as the Worcester My Father's Son where Mike and Jeff's basses were a semitone off from eachother
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Options
    sfrench said:
    Can't be as bad as the Worcester My Father's Son where Mike and Jeff's basses were a semitone off from eachother
    Other than them trying to figure out WTF was happening in the beginning, I think it was actually a pretty cool version. I've been jamming on it all morning since I picked up the guitar.

Slight correction to my original post... it's an Open G tuning he usually plays in, not Dropped D. 
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,743
    I thought it sounded really weird, and not in a good way.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,041
    sfrench said:
    sfrench said:
    Other than them trying to figure out WTF was happening in the beginning, I think it was actually a pretty cool version. I've been jamming on it all morning since I picked up the guitar.

Slight correction to my original post... it's an Open G tuning he usually plays in, not Dropped D. 
    I havent been able to find it online to listen, but that makes more sense. When I read it was just supposed to be drop D tuning, my thought was why didnt he just take the 3 seconds to drop it to D. Open G would make more sense that he didn't. 
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,265
    mace1229 said:
    sfrench said:
    sfrench said:

I havent been able to find it online to listen, but that makes more sense. When I read it was just supposed to be drop D tuning, my thought was why didnt he just take the 3 seconds to drop it to D. Open G would make more sense that he didn't. 
    It's at about the 10 minute mark of the livestream.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Philly 9/7/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    edited May 14
    Faithful did sound off but it didnt sound bad imo sort of dug the rawness of it. Next stop for me Seattle for two nights cant wait.. see u then boys
    Post edited by Getoutofmyfuckinface on
  • Options
    edited May 15
    sfrench said:
    sfrench said:

Just got sent a recording and it's a pretty interesting listen. I'm almost 100% sure what happened is that Mike is tuned farther down than Jeff.

In Denver '22 (just a random tuned down version i knew of), they're playing a half step down from the album key of G. In the Sac version, Jeff is playing in that same key (F#, half step down from the album), whereas Mike is now playing a full m3 below the album (E), and a whole step lower than Jeff. Thus changing that opening chord from a sorta fancy Esus to an Em7. Ed catches it pretty well and they essentially play a minor version of Faithful. Kinda cool
    Post edited by opsopcopolis on
  • Options
    pjbugs007pjbugs007 Posts: 1,112
    All this talk about slow… bring back the “slow” No Jeremy! 1st time hearing Jeremy live was that version!
  • Options
    CO278952CO278952 Orlando, FL Posts: 1,262
    was posted in the fan view thread:  https://youtu.be/ozlbjstKHpw?si=6xlnOj0FPEHoPsd4

mike is just playing it wrong
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden
    07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa
    5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin
  • Options
    Thanks for posting the video.  They recovered very nicely, and the crowd is fantastic here.  Great great song.
  • Options
    CO278952 said:
    mike is just playing it wrong
    lol 
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 4,010
    It’s a bit off but no train wreck! 

Ed sounds awesome! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    NEweatherNEweather Posts: 503
    MikeDigs said:
    Thanks for posting the video.  They recovered very nicely, and the crowd is fantastic here.  Great great song.
           yep
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,717

Ed sounds awesome! 

I think it was a complete trainwreck. Yikes. They should have stopped and fixed the problem.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,541
    I did not enjoy that.  Shit happens sometimes, so I guess its sort of a collector's item lol.  
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    77777777 Idaho Posts: 160
    It's not terribly slow. They usually play it a lot faster live, faster than the album.  I don't like the faster live versions of songs, from any band.  Mike's part is off though.      
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 4,010
    PJ_Soul said:

Ed sounds awesome! 

I think it was a complete trainwreck. Yikes. They should have stopped and fixed the problem.
    Maybe I was expecting worse
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,147
    Honestly thought this thread was about either the aging fanbase or the merch line.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    Honestly thought this thread was about either the aging fanbase or the merch line.

Cincy, that made me laugh out loud!  To show you how clueless I am about music, I didn't notice anything at the show until I saw people post about it after. I probably just couldn't hear it over my awesome singing.   :)

"We're fixed good, lamp-wise."