Options

*** Portland, OR Fanviews Here 5.10.24 ***

2»

Comments

• Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,743
    Great write up, heartofadog.

Agree that seven o’clock sucked all the energy out of the room. I think it’s a good song, but it didn’t really catch on with people. And the “sitting bullshit” bit sounds odd now…
    He changes the lyric now to "we had S.B. as our sitting president."

It didn't suck *all* the energy out of the room. I always enjoy this song, and love how it builds to the emotional crescendo. Much to be done, indeed.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    Another fun show. "Last Exit" was a surprise, but it was also shambolic from the start. Ed was about fifteen feet from the microphone when it was time to sing the first line. Shout-out to Mike from Denver who sat next to me but had to leave at 11:30 p.m. to catch a 12:50 a.m. flight home for his kid's flag-football game at 8 a.m. Saturday. I also had an early-morning flight-- but not that early-- and spent the night from 1:30 a.m. until takeoff in the terminal at the Portland Airport, which was a surprisingly nice experience. They have a 24-hour shop, and TSA will screen you at all hours. You know, just in case there's another lunatic out there who wants to do what I did the next time PJ plays Portland.

• Options
    bigbiggzybigbiggzy Posts: 717
    Might be a must have boot…
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,370
    BF25394 said:
    Another fun show. "Last Exit" was a surprise, but it was also shambolic from the start. Ed was about fifteen feet from the microphone when it was time to sing the first line. Shout-out to Mike from Denver who sat next to me but had to leave at 11:30 p.m. to catch a 12:50 a.m. flight home for his kid's flag-football game at 8 a.m. Saturday. I also had an early-morning flight-- but not that early-- and spent the night from 1:30 a.m. until takeoff in the terminal at the Portland Airport, which was a surprisingly nice experience. They have a 24-hour shop, and TSA will screen you at all hours. You know, just in case there's another lunatic out there who wants to do what I did the next time PJ plays Portland.

PDX is a great airport, possibly my favorite. Shops are priced the same as they would be elsewhere in town, you can walk to the car rental center, and course there’s the carpet. 😍

”Last Exit” was kind of off-kilter, I agree.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:

PDX is a great airport, possibly my favorite. Shops are priced the same as they would be elsewhere in town, you can walk to the car rental center, and course there’s the carpet. 😍

”Last Exit” was kind of off-kilter, I agree.
    At the PDX shop I mentioned, they were selling Sony earbuds for $9.99. At the San Jose airport where I connected back to Burbank, the same headphones were selling for $22.99.

The carpet was nice, especially since I was trying to sleep on the floor at one point. Ultimately, there were these really comfy chairs at the end of the E gates that leaned back and had ottomanish tables you could put your feet up on. I slept surprisingly well on those.
  • Options
    Original_ShiftyOriginal_Shifty Posts: 262
    My first GA experience in a venue that wasn't a baseball park and I was stoked.

Getting 3 bands for the price of 2 was an amazing experience. I would wish this for everyone who is still to see the tour but Ed mentioned this was a one time only event. What a shame.

I was on Mike's side and it was so much fun seeing him up close without the help of the video screen. It was certainly an experience I'll never forget and maybe one day will get to repeat.

High energy show and every song was a winner. I'm not a fan of seven o'clock so that was a bit of an energy drainer but that really was just a minor blip.

Enjoyed the conversations with people who came over to talk about The Tragically Hip. And thank you to the gentleman who offered me a Seattle N2 GA ticket. We never got to exchange phone numbers but I appreciate the thoughtfulness. PJ fans are the greatest!!
    2011: Vancouver
    2013: LA 1 & LA 2, Vancouver
    2018: Seattle 1 & Seattle 2
    2022: LA 1 & LA 2
    2024: Vancouver 1 & Vancouver 2, Portland, Seattle 1 & Seattle 2
  • Options
    MK24544MK24544 Posts: 3
    Thanks for listing the setlist and timeline for the Portland 5/10 show. Crazy question: Does anyone know what the two songs that were being played at the arena before they headed onstage? The crowd was super- charged! I was so blessed to be there and they opened with "Release"! That was the first time I ever heard them play my absolute fave! Still have a "fun- hangover" from the show!
    Grace and Peace,
    Michael
    Lebanon Oregon
  • Options
    enddemenddem Posts: 52

At the PDX shop I mentioned, they were selling Sony earbuds for $9.99. At the San Jose airport where I connected back to Burbank, the same headphones were selling for $22.99.

The carpet was nice, especially since I was trying to sleep on the floor at one point. Ultimately, there were these really comfy chairs at the end of the E gates that leaned back and had ottomanish tables you could put your feet up on. I slept surprisingly well on those.
    There's usually a good PDX-BUR flight on Alaska if you want to avoid that connection in the future. And yes, PDX airport is terrific--little in the way of lounge access outside of Alaska, but incredibly easy to find a comfortable place to hang out while you wait for a flight.
  • Options
    enddem said:

There's usually a good PDX-BUR flight on Alaska if you want to avoid that connection in the future. And yes, PDX airport is terrific--little in the way of lounge access outside of Alaska, but incredibly easy to find a comfortable place to hang out while you wait for a flight.
    Remind me about this in 2035 when Pearl Jam returns to Portland, although I have a feeling Alaska will have a tough time beating the $180 round-trip fare I got on Southwest. And I ended up in the exit row, aisle, for three of the four legs, and in the front row, with all the extra leg room, for the fourth leg. (I had no carryon other than the book I was reading since I was going straight to and from the arena/airport and could not bring a bag or laptop into the arena and there is nowhere at the airport to store it, so it was no problem not having any space under the seat in front of me since there was no seat in front of me.)
  • Options
    Original_ShiftyOriginal_Shifty Posts: 262
    edited May 12
    MK24544 said:
    Thanks for listing the setlist and timeline for the Portland 5/10 show. Crazy question: Does anyone know what the two songs that were being played at the arena before they headed onstage? The crowd was super- charged! I was so blessed to be there and they opened with "Release"! That was the first time I ever heard them play my absolute fave! Still have a "fun- hangover" from the show!
    Grace and Peace,
    Michael
    Lebanon Oregon

I think I've been hearing War, but a cover version not the original. I'm not sure of the other(s).
    Post edited by Original_Shifty on
    2011: Vancouver
    2013: LA 1 & LA 2, Vancouver
    2018: Seattle 1 & Seattle 2
    2022: LA 1 & LA 2
    2024: Vancouver 1 & Vancouver 2, Portland, Seattle 1 & Seattle 2
  • Options
    They played "Serve the Servants" in the hour before Is This Real? took the stage, and I do not recall hearing it in Vancouver despite being in the arena at the same time. I wonder if that was added to the playlist as a tribute to Steve Albini. I would have been happy if they had kept going and played the rest of "In Utero."
  • Options
    wmdc22wmdc22 Posts: 3
    The band is really firing on all cylinders now. I'm really happy and somewhat surprised at how well the new tracks from Dark Matter sound live right out of the gate. Ed's voice has been strong so far and Mike is killing it every night. I noticed in the review that the walk on music was listed as "Dark Entries" by Bauhaus. I actually thought the same thing as a big Bauhaus fan myself. But the track was called "Heavy" by a band out of Dublin called Sprints. Check them out... they are going places.