What's a good price to ask for a Fender USA Strat?

casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
edited April 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
The used market is getting so weird here in Belgium. I have a 1993 USA Strat for sale, sunburst and maple neck, no case. I started off asking 700 euros and now I'm already down at 650. I have tons of people offering me 500-550 euros.

I want 650 for it cause it has to make up for a trade I shouldn't have done. Less than that is burning my fingers.

But prices are so wide these days. I've seen USA Strats for 420 euros with cases to USA Strats without cases where people ask 850, and everything in between, with or without case. Of course, the one for 850 isn't getting sold.

Sorry for ranting about this. It's my own fault for doing the stupid trade. It's just frustrating.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Whats wrong with it? What are you trading to?

If you think it is worth 650 euro's then dont take anything less unless you really need to get rid of it fast.

I was actually looking into selling my Epi LP and getting some kind of Fender, a Tele or Strat..... not yours though, i like to buy new. ;)
  • casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
    I had two Tele's and I traded one for the Strat, out of curiosity. But pretty soon I knew the Strat wasn't my kind of guitar and now I want to sell it (or trade it). Problem is: for the Tele I easily could've gotten 700, for the strat I only get offers from 500 to 550. That's a loss of 150 to 200. That's why the trade was stupid.

Prices for strats are pretty low these days, even for new ones. You can get a new one here for just onder 1000.
    But how does it sound compared to the Tele?

If there was a sound/playability issue id be able to understand but if it sounds good then there wouldnt be an issue with how much it costs, lol.

And yeah, i think ill be getting a Tele anyway, ive always preferred their sound to a Strat.
    It sounds great for a Strat. But it's not my thing. I prefer the sound AND the feel of a Tele a lot better. The strat is, lets say, too refined for me while the Tele is a basic workhorse. Does that answer your question?

The used market is in bad shape, that's the problem.
    Yeah i see where your coming from now, i didnt know if you were selling it cause you didnt like it or selling it for the money.

Ive been looking for a Tele for a few months, still cant afford one of the ones i want. I dont think ill get much for my LP, ill be lucky to get 500 euro's to be honest.

The used market sucks! I just sold a bass and an amp for half the price i bought it for 6 months ago.
    Dude, I don't know where you live, but overhere you're lucky to get 400 euros for an Epi LP. I know, I recently sold mine.

Tele's are damn cool guitars. Mine has a 4-way switch, which means extra cojones when you switch the pups in series. I love my Tele. :)
    Im in Scotland by the way :).

Yeah i know the Epi's are on the downslope when it comes to selling used, but mine is in pretty good condition so im hoping to get a bit for it. I might test the waters on eBay and see where that gets me.
    One of the tone-knobs - the one for the bridge pup - doesn't work properly: when you turn it up there's this small part where it looses contact or something and the sound is gone. Turn it up further or back down and you're back in business. Any ideas on what could be wrong here?
    It may be an idea to get a cotton bud, unscrew the plate at the back and give the inside a little clean.
    But it may be that the wire has come loose and is only in contact with the pickup from time to time.... in which case you will need to get it soldered.

Its real easy to do but probably best to just take it into your local music shop and ask them to do it for you.

On the other hand im just guessing thats what needs done, it could be something else, but it doesnt sound like a major problem.
    I have a guy willing to pay my price, who doesn't care about the little tone knob issue. But I had to open the guitar up to take a look at the tone knob anyway, and now I got this awful hum coming from the volume knob as well! It's jinxed I tell ya!

I'm gonna get it into the shop now first, so at least I can sell off a GOOD guitar.
    pearlwax wrote:
    I have a guy willing to pay my price, who doesn't care about the little tone knob issue. But I had to open the guitar up to take a look at the tone knob anyway, and now I got this awful hum coming from the volume knob as well! It's jinxed I tell ya!

I'm gonna get it into the shop now first, so at least I can sell off a GOOD guitar.

Yeah it would be best to take it to a tech if you dont know what you're doing, i dont know what im doing half the time and i have to put it in to get repaired too! lol

I dont understand how you are getting a humming sound all of a sudden though, did you do something to the wires inside or something?
    chris01 wrote:
    I dont understand how you are getting a humming sound all of a sudden though, did you do something to the wires inside or something?

It's cursed I tell ya! I never should have traded my Tele for it. This is my punishment. But seriously, I don't know. I guess I must have done something wrong...
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    one million dollars.......
    Wanna sell me your other Tele for, umm, free? :D... ok, it was a long shot, lol.
    Just had contact with a nice fellow who would like to trade the strat for a 1972 Guild D25 acoustic. Cherry red, double pickguard and in beautiful condition.

This would be pretty fuckin' awesome, since I have been on the lookout for a bluesy old acoustic, and this sounds perfect!

As for the strat and the wiring and pot problems: the guy doesn't mind, cause he has some vintage pups, pickguard, pots and wiring he wants to install anyway.

Sounds like a match made in heaven, but I will withhold from jumping for joy too soon untill we meet up next week and the trade is a fact. Things can still go wrong. If the trade goes, I'll post pics. :D

Wish me luck!
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Ah, I was under the impression it was a money-crunch issue, which would imply you needed the cash and not necessarily another guitar.

Edit: Don't get me wrong. That does sound like a pretty cool acoustic though.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1