Easy call for me: Something Special. 

Which would you choose to hear live: Something Special or Last Kiss: 146 votes

Something Special
76% 112 votes
Last Kiss
23% 34 votes

Comments

• MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 1,081
    Wouldn't be surprised to see Something Special with the clean sweep.  It's a better song, and I think most would agree.  It's on the incredible new Dark Matter album.  It's an original Pearl Jam song and Last Kiss is a cover.  I say let's officially replace Last Kiss with Something Special on all setlists going forward.  This is the way.
  • EnjoyBeingEnjoyBeing Posts: 127
    MikeDigs said:
    Wouldn't be surprised to see Something Special with the clean Isweep.  It's a better song, and I think most would agree.  It's on the incredible new Dark Matter album.  It's an original Pearl Jam song and Last Kiss is a cover.  I say let's officially replace Last Kiss with Something Special on all setlists going forward.  This is the way.
    Agreed it’s a better (and more meaningful) song. I’m biased in that I’m good with never hearing Last Kiss by anyone again. I’ll admit, Something Special has taken sometime to connect with, but I like it more and more. 

Thought it might be a nice poll for conversation.  

• gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,621
    Don't like Something... can tolerate Last Kiss
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,321
    "Something Special" is so much more interesting musically and lyrically, and it has only ever been played once. This is a no-brainer.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,243
    edited May 10
    Something Special 100%. No choice here. I don’t ever need to hear Last Kiss again in any setting. 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,425
    Ask me again after the tour and I hear Something Special at all 9 of my shows. 
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,321
    PJNB said:
    Ask me again after the tour and I hear Something Special at all 9 of my shows. 
    When he introduced it Saturday, Ed specifically said they won't be playing it every night, but he had to play it that night because one of his daughters had come up from Seattle for the show.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • TA243471TA243471 Posts: 1,234
    Probably rather hear 3 minutes of fart noises than either one of those.
    • 2006: Gorge 1
    • 2009: Seattle 1
    • 2013: Seattle
    • 2016: Wrigley 1 & 2
    • 2018: Seattle 1&2, Montana
    • 2020: San Diego, LA 1&2, Oakland 1&2
    • 2022: San Diego, LA 1&2, Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Denver
    • 2024: Vancouver 1, Portland, Las Vegas 1&2, Seattle 1&2, Missoula
  • Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,589
    TA243471 said:
    Probably rather hear 3 minutes of fart noises than either one of those.
    😅

There is a version of Last Kiss from one of the Japan Shows in 2003. Eddie does it solo, and I find that version quite nice. 
    I will swallow poison
  • RobbertRobbert Rotterdam, the Netherlands Posts: 910
    Last Kiss
  • kramerica4kramerica4 Posts: 284
    Although Something Special is damn good, I love Last Kiss.
    Such a great song for Pearl Jam to play.
  • yosiyosi Posts: 2,985
    Not interested in either, but I think Last Kiss is a better song. 
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,064
    Last Kiss, superior song in every wy
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,082
    Last Kiss. Would love to hear it.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,945
    I've seen Last Kiss twice. That's plenty for me. Zero would be plenty for me, but I can't change that. 
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Kearn5yKearn5y Posts: 2,804
    Like both but have heard Last Kiss already
    Kearnsy
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,686
    Something Special once to help me complete Dark Matter on my stats - but then Last Kiss for the rest of these shows. 
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Posts: 4,152
    Recency bias, I’ll choose Something Special.
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,834
    Last Kiss is a great tune.  There is a reason it blew up on the radio
  • SpagsSpags Posts: 3,017
    I don't usually want to hear cover songs over PJ originals, but in this instance I'll make an exception.
    Nature drunk and High
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,774
    edited May 10
    Something Special… it’s my least favorite of Dark Matter, and I still Like the song

like Last Kiss too.. prob seen it a dozen or more times
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    I really liked Last Kiss when it first came out (PJ's version). It was different, the story behind the recording and refusing to release it as a single, being only available on the 45 for a while. Made it a fun song. But it's just been over played live, should have been a rare thing to hear, like Bee Girl. Bee Girl is not a great song, but if youve never heard it before, it would be fun to hear once. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    last kiss by a country mile.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    anyone that says last kiss should go see a musical psychiatrist immediately.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,725
    mace1229 said:
    I really liked Last Kiss when it first came out (PJ's version). It was different, the story behind the recording and refusing to release it as a single, being only available on the 45 for a while. Made it a fun song. But it's just been over played live, should have been a rare thing to hear, like Bee Girl. Bee Girl is not a great song, but if youve never heard it before, it would be fun to hear once. 
    3 times I’ve gotten Bee Girl and I haven’t been to that many shows lol. I hope I’m done with that one. 
  • LukinAtULukinAtU Posts: 791
    this one could be in the rotation for the folks behind the stage...
  • potnikpotnik Posts: 458
    Typically, I'll always go with a Pearl Jam original over a cover and I'm looking forward to hearing Something Special at some of the shows I am attending. Though pulling for Last Kiss at one of the 4 shows my family will be at. It's been my daughters bed time song for some time now and Ed has a much better voice than I do. 
    edited May 10
    I'm confused about the Something Special hate.  Is it the lyrics and subject matter??  Because the instrumental is smooth, and much more refined than Last Kiss.  Something Special, instrumentally, is a 90s throwback sound and is much closer in style to Pearl Jam than Last Kiss "by a country mile".  So it's hard to believe that Pearl Jam fans don't like the instrumental to Something Special.

Which then suggests that you have a problem with the lyrics being "too corny", which then fuels your hatred so much to overshadow the awesome instrumental?  To me, that logic is cringe.  "Oh no, don't have love and praise for your children".  The general hatred for the song is strange.
    Post edited by MikeDigs on
  • LukinAtULukinAtU Posts: 791
    MikeDigs said:
    I'm confused about the Something Special hate.  Is it the lyrics and subject matter??  Because the instrumental is smooth, and much more refined than Last Kiss.  Something Special, instrumentally, is a 90s throwback sound and is much closer in style to Pearl Jam than Last Kiss "by a country mile".  So it's hard to believe that Pearl Jam fans don't like the instrumental to Something Special.

Which then suggests that you have a problem with the lyrics being "too corny", which then fuels your hatred so much to overshadow the awesome instrumental?  To me, that logic is cringe.  "Oh no, don't have love and praise for your children".  The general hatred for the song is strange.
    seems like they've been dropping at least one of these "soft" song on the albums since Backspacer. Maybe better on an Ed solo LP...just a thought
    edited May 10
    LukinAtU said:
    MikeDigs said:

seems like they've been dropping at least one of these "soft" song on the albums since Backspacer. Maybe better on an Ed solo LP...just a thought
    Elderly Woman, Around the Bend, Wishlist...  <--- Are these also better on an Ed solo LP?  Not understanding the "thought".

Also, it fits perfectly on Dark Matter.  With all the "Dark" things in this world, in this life, people still are raising children in this.  "We've done all we can do".

Every dark story has some light to it, and every light story has some darkness to it.  Saying Something Special doesn't fit within the Dark Matter album (story) is really an odd thing to say, considering the artist intended it to be there.
    Post edited by MikeDigs on