Dark Matter, great energy, grounded, best album since 2003

JF116983JF116983 Posts: 176
Boy I am pleasantly surprised must admit I hated last few albums but this one feels like they got the guys in a room and they created. This is how music is supposed to be you can feel energy in this one peaks and valleys - great brushstrokes throughout - great job guys best effort in 20 years for sure.

I hope they only record albums this way going forward while I understand they all live in different places and can do this via internet these days, the continuance is not worth what is lost artistically. PJ got there mojo back, excellent effort.

Comments

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,834
    I feel like the last few albums are like Jerry Seinfeld's interviews and recent comedy.  He writes smart jokes that you acknowledge might be clever but you don't laugh at them.  PJ wrote smart albums and good music that I understood was good music but didn't grab me.  I think with Dark Matter they got less serious and just went for it and it worked!
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,833
    As much as people are praising this album, fans and critics alike, I think it's still being underrated at this point in time. The regard for it is only going to increase. I've been listening to and loving this band since ten came out, and I think it is pound for pound the best album they've ever made.

The way things were going, I didn't believe they'd ever put out an album as good as riot act again. To release something that is not only on par with the first 5, but even better in my opinion, is so pleasantly shocking I still can't believe it.
  • spankyMPspankyMP Posts: 1,747
    edited May 9
    It's refreshing and I love hearing the guys talk about how they kind of forgot how writing together like this was something they were good at. I think they all got used to writing on their own and bringing completed songs, when they can collaborate quite well. Step on each other's toes, dismantle the demos, and create something together.

As far as rating this album. I admittedly like most of what they put out, but this one is different. Many are rightfully still digesting and taking this with a grain of salt. I still stand by my initial reaction, that this is their best since Yield and that is no disrespect to Avocado, Riot Act, and Binaural, however I am ranking those three at the moment.
    Post edited by spankyMP on
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • beano.79beano.79 Posts: 736
    You know what this album has......

That thing.... When you listen to an album intensely from front to back and when the last song ends you just sit and stare, listening to the silence it's left behind. Like a feeling of completion and satisfaction.

It's a fantastic record
  • kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 722
    beano.79 said:

That thing.... When you listen to an album intensely from front to back and when the last song ends you just sit and stare, listening to the silence it's left behind. Like a feeling of completion and satisfaction.

It's a fantastic record
    And then immediately, compulsively hit play again
  • MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 1,081
    kmcmanus said:
    beano.79 said:

It's a fantastic record
    The end of this album fades so nicely back in to the beginning.

From those final guitar strums and "let us not fade...", back to the atmospheric swell and the pool que smack, with Stone's uplifting guitar to bring you right back in.  Truly amazing.
  • JF116983JF116983 Posts: 176
    Yea I wonder if their new process will be this way going forward all the guys getting into a room and jamming into an album. That’s how The Beatles did it and their music is not only still relevant today but they came up with masterpieces - I feel a collaborative live process just bring better results.
  • kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 722
    MikeDigs said:
    kmcmanus said:
    beano.79 said:

It's a fantastic record

From those final guitar strums and "let us not fade...", back to the atmospheric swell and the pool que smack, with Stone's uplifting guitar to bring you right back in.  Truly amazing.
    Did you notice the “let us not fade” notes played on keyboard IN the atmospheric swell? 🤯
  • MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 1,081
    kmcmanus said:
    MikeDigs said:
    kmcmanus said:
    beano.79 said:

It's a fantastic record

Did you notice the “let us not fade” notes played on keyboard IN the atmospheric swell? 🤯
    I went back to listen and I think I hear the vocal notes from "let us not fade" in the atmospheric swell.  That's really cool.  And wow Scared of Fear starts so good.  This album is addicting.
  • vitovito Chicago Posts: 2,029
    I knew they had another good album in them, I just didn't think this good was still possible😎
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1992
    SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE 1995
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1998
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO1998
    THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA KNOXVILLE 1998
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2000
    ALLSTATE ARENA ROSEMONT 2000
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2003
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO 2005
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2009
    NATIONWIDE ARENA COLUMBUS 2010
    PJ20 NIGHT 1 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    PJ20 NIGHT 2 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    1ST MARINER ARENA BALTIMORE 2013
    IWIRELESS CENTER MOLINE 2014
    XCEL ENERGY CENTER ST. PAUL 2014
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2016 
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2016
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2018
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2018
    BOSTON 2 Fenway Park 2018
    ENTERPRISE CENTER SAINT LOUIS 2022
    Eddie Vedder Auditorium Theatre CHICAGO 2008

• TorontonianTorontonian Posts: 547
    vito said:
    I knew they had another good album in them, I just didn't think this good was still possible😎
    This band never ceases to amaze.  We are so lucky.  This will be even more apparent later.

Their message has made me a better person.  This album very much included.
  • vitovito Chicago Posts: 2,029
    edited May 10
    vito said:
    This band never ceases to amaze.  We are so lucky.  This will be even more apparent later.

Well said...I just keep having 'And I Hope The People Are Smiling ' go thru my head all day...it's a pretty generic lyric but, my god the way he sings it as the music begins to soar, it's really a great moment in Upper Hand🔥
    Post edited by vito on
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1992
    SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE 1995
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1998
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO1998
    THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA KNOXVILLE 1998
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2000
    ALLSTATE ARENA ROSEMONT 2000
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2003
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO 2005
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2009
    NATIONWIDE ARENA COLUMBUS 2010
    PJ20 NIGHT 1 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    PJ20 NIGHT 2 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    1ST MARINER ARENA BALTIMORE 2013
    IWIRELESS CENTER MOLINE 2014
    XCEL ENERGY CENTER ST. PAUL 2014
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2016 
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2016
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2018
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2018
    BOSTON 2 Fenway Park 2018
    ENTERPRISE CENTER SAINT LOUIS 2022
    Eddie Vedder Auditorium Theatre CHICAGO 2008

• pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,043
    beano.79 said:

It's a fantastic record
    agreed, its absolutely top draw. So good. 
  • PJamGrunge10PJamGrunge10 Posts: 596
    I feel like the last few albums are like Jerry Seinfeld's interviews and recent comedy.  He writes smart jokes that you acknowledge might be clever but you don't laugh at them.  PJ wrote smart albums and good music that I understood was good music but didn't grab me.  I think with Dark Matter they got less serious and just went for it and it worked!
    Good take - I agree. I've listened to Dark Matter all the way through more times now than Gigaton or Lightning Bolt. Seems like this one will hold up better over the long run, but only time will tell. 
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,475
    vito said:
    vito said:

Well said...I just keep having 'And I Hope The People Are Smiling ' go thru my head all day...it's a pretty generic lyric but, my god the way he sings it as the music begins to soar, it's really a great moment in Upper Hand🔥
    You just described most of this album. It seems like each song has a unique sound and cadence that sets it apart from other efforts. And as you mentioned Eddie finds ways to make his words and phrases soar. I too go through my day with these songs permeating my brain. I haven't felt this inspired by PJ since Yield. I think it will stand the test of time and is in my top 5 of the 12 overall. 
  • TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,475
    BTW - I saw this in a review and thought it was golden. "PJ are the best sounding 60 year olds in rock." Haha! 
  • JF116983JF116983 Posts: 176
    Are they 60 now?
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,153
    beano.79 said:

It's a fantastic record

• WreckageWreckage Posts: 56
    Best since '98 for me, it just doesn't have any skips needed.
  • smile6680smile6680 Posts: 378
    vito said:
    I started a thread a few weeks back stating something similar. Some people took it as being negative. I just felt the last few albums were sub par compared to the albums that preceded them. I started to wonder if they had a Dark Matter type album in them anymore. Then this album came along and proved they did

I'm not sure what changed. My only guess is it sounds like they worked together on each song more than just finishing other band members songs. just a guess.
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Posts: 2,002
    This album is really damn good. I liked it, and then I saw some songs live, and now, I love it.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    2024 Sacramento, CA
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,153
    This album is really damn good. I liked it, and then I saw some songs live, and now, I love it.

Love the album. Tonight's the night I get to experience those new songs live.  :)