Polishing an acoustic

casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
edited July 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
So I'm gonna polish my Guild acoustic, but I'm a bit anxious about it. They guy I got it from recommended me to just use some car polish instead of guitar polish, since it it basically is the same stuff, but in a different bottle with an fancy name - which you pay for.

I trust this guy, since he gave me the Guild in wonderful condition and he gives workshops in guitar maintenance in a well known music center.

But still, I trust you guys even more, so I wonder if that really was a good idea. I have the polish here, but I haven't used it yet. And while we're at it: what's the best way to 'clean' an acoustic? Cause I've never cleaned my cheapo, ever. :o
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Gossard_Is_GodGossard_Is_God Posts: 1,031
    I use furniture polish lol
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I have used Zymol on my guitars before but that's what I use on my truck. I prefer natural non petro waxes on my vehicles too.

The guys at my local shop use meguires.

you can use car polish sure, but Dunlop 65 and a rag (about 5 bucks here in the states) will do you great. the bottle lasts a long time, they have a carnauba wax too but you really can get by with the 65. It gets of finger prints to chicken grease I know, because I had to maintain the racks at Guitar Center. It's easier if you just spray it on a rag and not the guitar, microfiber is the dogs testicles if you can find one.

If the guitar is a matte finish, I like to use a light coat of lemon oil or orange oil to bring out the grain, apply with a rag, it looks beautiful and smells good too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
    Well I bought the car polish now... as long as it is safe to use it, that's okay. Thanks for the advice.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    You want a polish that is 100% silicon free!
    There are a couple really good products on the market.
    Virtuoso is fantastic!
    Dr. Duck's Axe Wax

I use Virtuoso cleaner, as it has a dull finish. They make a polish as well.
    The key to these products is knowing what finish you have in the 1st place.

http://www.virtuosopolish.com/
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    JofZ wrote:
    You want a polish that is 100% silicon free!
    There are a couple really good products on the market.
    Virtuoso is fantastic!
    Dr. Duck's Axe Wax

I use Virtuoso cleaner, as it has a dull finish. They make a polish as well.
    The key to these products is knowing what finish you have in the 1st place.

http://www.virtuosopolish.com/

oooh, good good point, NO SILICONE on guitars OR TIRES either. :D
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    I use Dunlop 65 and a cloth and that seems to work alright :)
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.