Options

I'll be homeless soon: This life is sacrificed to a stranger's bottom line. I've seen the light.

Despite 20+ years in the same career, I can no longer find a job, and I could end up homeless by August 1. I was downsized in February 2023. I've applied to thousands of jobs, both local and remote, and outside my industry.

My lease in Chicago expires on August 1. I need to give 60 days' notice, which is June 1. I am working a tiny contract consulting job (8 hours a month) to help a company develop a new product related to hiring. Besides that, I drive seven days a week for Uber/Lyft and haven't had a day off in many months. Gig driving doesn't count towards employment verification.

I can't renew my lease because I am house-poor (I'm currently late with May rent and won't have it for another ten days) and need to move somewhere cheaper. So, there is a real chance of being homeless by Aug 1.

I no longer know what to do. What have I done for 20+ years? Hiring/Recruiting/Sourcing in Talent Acquisition with a side of HR and some integration/functional consulting around ATS rollouts.

Recently, I spent 11 weeks going through a hiring process, only to be told in the final steps that the company was passing on me due to concerns that my length of unemployment would make me 'desperate' for a job.

Of course, I'm eager to return to my career after investing 20 years in my field. Being out of work for an extended period is incredibly challenging, and I've had to drive for Uber and Lyft 12 hours a day, seven days a week, to make ends meet, but it is not enough. I haven't had a day off in many months. It's disheartening to be rejected based on an assumption of desperation, especially when it's not a criterion you'll find listed in job descriptions.

My situation could be viewed more positively - as a strong motivation to succeed when given an opportunity again. My unemployment length does not reflect my skills, experience, or work ethic. I am ready and willing to bring my full talents and dedication to a new role.

If you are hiring or know of any opportunities that might be a good fit, please reach out. I am available to work as soon as possible, based out of Chicago, and open to in-person or remote positions. I am open to relocation. I have a vast amount of experience that is directly transferable to other areas outside hiring and HR.

Thank you for reading and for any support or leads you can offer. I know I have much to contribute, and I look forward
to the chance to prove myself in a new position.

Comments

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,733
    Well that truly sucks. not sure this is the best place to ask for help though.
  • Options
    Brian_BoBrian_Bo Posts: 48
    That's the response I have gotten everywhere.

I give up.
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,956
    I looked into a career support group through a college. Also networking groups. Helped me keep my head together. Focused. Practiced for interviews. All that stuff. I ain't no spring chicken!. Got back into the work force. Not doing my ideal job, but good to be working.
    Take care of yourself

Love to all
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,170
    edited May 8
    Please don’t give up. You are hard working at gig jobs to make ends meet. If possible, try to find a smaller “secondary city” which should have housing options with a cost lower than a major city like Chicago. Search the internet for cities with best rents available. Keep at it, to work a gig job 12/7 is impressive.

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,239
    Please don’t give up. You are hard working at gig jobs to make ends meet. If possible, try to find a smaller “secondary city” which should have housing options with a cost lower than a major city like Chicago. Search the internet for cities with best rents available. Keep at it, to work a gig job 12/7 is impressive.

This.  Also look for people looking for roommates to lower your rent costs.  Yea that can suck to do but not a bad short term solution.

You said you worked for recruiters before. Have recruiters not been able to help you find anything?