Opinions please

casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
edited August 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
So I got inspired by HailHailVitalogy's post and decided to 'record' (with my digital photocamera) two little 'songs' I came up with today.

So beware: the audio is crap, and so is the video. My advice: don't watch them, just listen. Second video is probably to dark to watch anyway.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v282/pearlwax/video/?action=view&current=MVI_3079.flv

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v282/pearlwax/video/?action=view&current=MVI_3080.flv

Both are very basic and simple. Cause that's all I got. No solo's, no riffs, just your basic chords. :o

In the first one I play my Fender Tele through a Shannon OD into a Fender Vibrochamp - in the end I fuck up with the one pedal I have.

Second one is played on my cheap acoustic, cause the Guild broke a string. You can tap your foot with this one - or you can tell me who I stole it from, cause I thing I did, I just don't know who.

In my opinion both suck, cause I suck. I just tell myself less is more, cause less is all I got.

Anyway, if you got some sort of opinion on them, shoot.

(Hurry, cause though I might consider this 'a good idea' now, it won't be for long)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Haha!

I am going to record "real songs" with "real tone" (not standby ;) ) today and post them :)

Now let me listen...

I really dig both songs, I think the first one you have the same idea as I do. You kind of know when and where the drums are going to come in. I don't know if that's true but that's what I got out of it. I like the 2nd one the best. That's why I don't like to record that much because I don't have a band behind me, or atleast a drummer or singer to go with the song, after hearing the same riff over and over, it gets kind of annoying.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    maybe aim the camera at the fretboard and not your crotch next time.. haha.

just close your eyes and start singing to yourself over them. you'll have songs in no time.

not that i can write songs anymore... but it's easy!!!! ;o

liked the electric one. should have just left the pedal on when you missed it. :)

can't tell what the acoustic one is lifted from as you say.
  • As for the singing part, yeah i just say random words like improv
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • exhausted wrote:
    maybe aim the camera at the fretboard and not your crotch next time.. haha.

just close your eyes and start singing to yourself over them. you'll have songs in no time.

I know. :p But I figured the two lovely ladies from Mulholland Drive would draw your attention away from my crotch. The only other way was to sit down, but that would not be handy with the pedal - plus I'd like to stay anonymous. :o

I actually have a lead part/improv in my head I'd love to record over the electric one. Would be a good exercise to imrpove my euhm... lead skills.

I really dig both songs, I think the first one you have the same idea as I do. You kind of know when and where the drums are going to come in. I don't know if that's true but that's what I got out of it. I like the 2nd one the best. That's why I don't like to record that much because I don't have a band behind me, or atleast a drummer or singer to go with the song, after hearing the same riff over and over, it gets kind of annoying.

Glad you like 'em - and surprised, really. Cause like you say, if you keep playing stuff just to yourself, it really gets annoying and you don't really know if what you got is half decent or not.

Either way, the standard of my playing and/or songwriting is pretty low if you ask me. I mean, that acoustic is just your basic D, E, A and Fm#

But then again, Ray LaMontagne doesn't write songs that are that much more complex.

I have some other songs as well - more complex. But I really hate this kind of recording.

And I just can't sing. Trust me, I can't.