RIP Paul Auster

https://amp.theguardian.com/books/2024/may/02/paul-auster-obituary

I first got into Paul Auster’s work through the movie Smoke, and its companion piece Blue In The Face. I think the first novel of his that I picked up was either Leviathan or maybe The Music of Chance. Either way, it wasn’t long before I’d hunted down every book I could find. Timbuktu, Moon Palace, Invisible, and of course The New York Trilogy are all fantastic pieces of work, along with too many others to name.

I hadn’t known that his last novel, Baumgartner, was published last year; I saw it in a bookshop last week, got distracted, and didn’t buy it. I’ll need to pick up a copy soon.
“Do not postpone happiness”
(Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
(Tim Rogers)

Comments

• goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,487
    A favourite Auster quote of mine:

"A conversation is like playing catch with someone. A good partner tosses the ball directly into your hands, making it almost impossible for you to miss it; when they are on the receiving end, they catch everything sent their way, even the most errant and incompetent throws"
    Paul Auster, ‘Moon Palace’

RIP
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl Posts: 10,787
    RIP. I saw Paul Auster do a reading at a bookstore a few years ago. I really loved Leviathan and New Trilogy. I may reread them both this summer.