Options

Wah question

pariahpariah Posts: 596
edited November 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
From guitargeek.com on the Dunlop JH-1 wah
(...)The sweep is a little quirky with most of the fun happening in the top 1/3 of the pedal. That top 1/3 is nice but the lower 2/3 has a very muddy sound that almost disappeared within the context of a band situation. I’m sure the tone pot could be twisted to produce a better range but we were expecting more from a stock unit. (...) The Hendrix wah still has a unique voice that might work for your own playing style, just be prepared to open it up and twist that tone pot.

Right... I have this Hendrix wah and I tend to agree with these guys on the "muddy tone on the lower 2/3" thing, and I'd love to twist that tone pot if that would help. BUT I have absolutely no idea how to do that. Does anyone here know? Where it's located, how to turn it...

Oh, and another thing... everyone (including the manual) says that I should put the wah after the distortion (dist->wah->amp), but when I do that the volume decreases dramatically at the "lower" half of the pedal. When I put the wah before the distortion however it sounds much more like e.g. PJ's wah sounds on Vs. Does anyone have experience/explanation with this?

thanx
-mrc
"Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    can't help you on the tone adjustments. but as for placement, i tend to think it should be before the distortion as well. placing it afterwards results in a more subtle, less honky sound that will all but disappear if it's high gain distortion.

also, true bypass it.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I always put my Wah 1st in the chain right after my guitar.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    also, true bypass it.
    Sure will, it's a MAJOR tonesucker... but I still have to decide if this is gonna be my definitive wah. A shame I can't test VOXes around here. When I want shops to order one I have to buy it. :(

Thanks for the feedback.
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • Options
    http://www.musictoyz.com

check out Teese RMC wah's. True Bypass. The best Wah in existance.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    RMC1 looks nice... reasonable price, too. Thanks.
    Are there any reasons at all to stick with the Dunlop (and bypass it) or is the Teese plain better? I like the sound in the higher regions very much...
  • Options
    Originally posted by pariah
    RMC1 looks nice... reasonable price, too. Thanks.
    Are there any reasons at all to stick with the Dunlop (and bypass it) or is the Teese plain better? I like the sound in the higher regions very much...

The tease is that much better. Stack of dimes inductor etc. better switch, better build quality. Very helpful customer service as you are dealing with one guy. He's modded Vox 846's and 7's for years. He know's what he's doing.
  • Options
    I own the RMC2. Its great! I'd go with the picture wah for the price. The wheels of fire wah from teese sounds killer!
    PJ + AIC = LoveThemBones