Options

One long song.

Dark Matter is so much better and stronger listening from start to finish. I’m having a hard time playing a song here and there. The tracks work so much better as one long song….

Comments

• Options
    MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 400
    Good way to put it.   Or like a movie, where you consume from beginning to end.  Sometimes I'll repeat some tracks, or jump to a track if/when they are in my head.   But ultimately this album is so much better when played together.   Every song enhances the others.  Really cool.
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,494
    edited April 29
    Agree 100%. I have listened to it front to back at least 16 times now. Even when I have other stuff to do, I let the album play out before moving on. 

I truly believe it is a concept album lyrically. Increasingly, I believe it is a concept album musically as well. The album is telling a story. It is about relationships. The nature of those relationships is what I am still unsure of. 

Lyrically, EV penned his Tommy. Collectively, the band provided the canvas.

From Wikipedia...
    A concept album is an album whose tracks hold a larger purpose or meaning collectively than they do individually. This is typically achieved through a single central narrative or theme, which can be instrumental, compositional, or lyrical.
    Post edited by KV4053 on
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,598
    To each their own but, generally, this is how I approach every album. If I put on an album, I listen to the whole album. If I want to listen to  individual songs, I put on the radio or MTV or pull specific songs up on YouTube. If I'm listening to an album, it would be very unusual for me to skip a song, even with CDs making it very easy to do that.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,394
    I’m sure this has been stated elsewhere but Running works sooooo much better when it follows Waiting For Stevie.

Fantastic album.
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,468
    On most of their previous recordings I always alter the song sequence to what I'm feeling but this one feels just right. Has a really good flow like a recording should. 
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,126
    It’s definitely a “listen from start to finish” record. And each listen has gotten better and better for me. Upper Hand is an absolute banger of a song. I love it. 
  • Options
    Was just thinking that the other day, I’ve listened to it beginning to end more than I did the previous 3.
  • Options
    PJ1973PJ1973 Winston-Salem, NC Posts: 407
    rummy said:
    I’m sure this has been stated elsewhere but Running works sooooo much better when it follows Waiting For Stevie.

Fantastic album.
    100% agree. Was not a big fan of Running when it came out as a single but it hit me different when in sequence! Funny how that happens.