Dark Matter - Late to the Party

yosiyosi Posts: 2,985
So the new album came out the day we flew for vacation and it’s taken me some time to actually listen to the whole thing. I’ve now gone through it twice (and many individual songs more than that) and felt like I could finally jump in and share some thoughts:

1. It’s a great fucking record.

2. Easily my favorite since Avocado, as Backspacer has essentially only 3 songs I like, and only one great song (Force of Nature!); Lightning Bolt has a smattering of great songs, but too many duds; Gigaton starts out excellent but quickly falls off a cliff. I couldn’t be more pleasantly surprised they had an album this good in them after the last three. 

3. In many ways this record does not sound like Pearl Jam, to me. But it doesn’t matter, because it’s them and it’s so good. I hear a ton of Tom Petty, the Cure, Pink Floyd Zeppelin, Yes and ESPECIALLY Soundgarden. But I love all those bands, so no surprise I love this record. 

4. This album is moody as shit. 

5. Fantastic songs: Upperhand, Waiting for Stevie, Won’t Tell. These songs are special. Upper echelon shit right here. 

Great songs: Scared of Fear, Wreckage, Got to Give. Love these songs. 

Good songs: Dark Matter, Setting Sun

Meh songs: React Respond, Something Special, Running

6. Can’t wait to see these live. 
you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane