Options

Fender Japan/Mexico/USA

pariahpariah Posts: 596
edited December 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
How do they compare, in general? I hear a thousand stories (Jap better than mex, Mex quality/Price better than USA, it isn't worth it to get USA JM/Jag b/c Jap is almost as good and $1000 cheaper blah blah blah) and they are never the same. Any comments?

-Mrc
"Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    there are a billion factors that decide whether guitars are good or not. The Japanese era Fenders are known for being well built great sounding and playing guitars. Why? Because Japan has some of the most highly skilled workers in the cleanest factories on earth. Mexican Strats are made in Mexico because labor is cheap and they can sell more units at a cheaper price. Mexican guitars are not bad by any means and they will suit you well. I know many small time pro's that have several Mexican Strats around because they are cheaper and you lose less when you mess them up.

American Standard will always be the standard by which the rest of Fenders are judged no matter what anyone says. Since the Japs are used as well if you really want a Strat and you are willing to buy used, look up a good used American Standard, there are a bajillion around and the prices vary as to how much people want to get for them and what kind of finish you want.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Ah, thanks. At last some clarity about Mex/Jap comparison.
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • Options
    Doug RDoug R Posts: 34
    I'm no expert on guitars by any means....I have a Mexican strat and really like it....Many of my friends have American ones and also love to play mine....I really do not know what the differences are myself...I just really enjoy playing it....I've mentioned it here before I think, But it is one of the Tom Delonge series strats...
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by Doug R
    I'm no expert on guitars by any means....I have a Mexican strat and really like it....Many of my friends have American ones and also love to play mine....I really do not know what the differences are myself...I just really enjoy playing it....I've mentioned it here before I think, But it is one of the Tom Delonge series strats...

The Delonge is cool because it's in that SG/LP Junior category with one pickup and one volume. Simple yet different.

You don't see that Duncan Invader pickup with the huge black oxide pole pieces in any other production model. It's super hot and sounds really cool.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    I like the newer Mexican strats. In reality, the difference in the actual sound between a $2500 fender custom shop and a $400 made in Mexico model can be very subtle. A lot depends on pick ups and the basic wood. Pros that play custom shop stuff end up changing pickups occasionally anyway.
    If the neck joint is tight , the neck feels good in your hands, and the body sounds good, the Mexican ones are great. the main difference to me are the thin pickguards and the tuning machines are not that great, . But that's easy stuff to replace, and it's cost effective rather than paying a lot for a new American. The paint job or finish aren't as good either, but once they're covered with stickers, it don't matta!.

I think it's more important to get the neck YOU like, not the neck that the rock stars like. If it's not comfortable to play, you ain't gonna use it.

Like Paco says, there are a lot of good deals on American used strats too. It's weird that sometimes you see them for 350 bucks, while someone else sells one for 800.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

But you need to pull the chord first :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by pearlwax
    A mind is like a parachute,
    It doesn't work if it's not open.

But you need to pull the chord first :D

Try pulling these 4 chords!
    will open your mind,
    and parachute!

0 x 6 7 8 8, x 0 5 6 7 7 , x 5 4 5 6 6 , 3 X 3 4 5 5
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    will open your mind,
    and parachute!

0 x 6 7 8 8, x 0 5 6 7 7 , x 5 4 5 6 6 , 3 X 3 4 5 5

What does that give?
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    I love the Mexican Fenders... great price, great quality. Easy to mod, and the price is right. Sure, American models are best... but I kinda like having a beater guitar.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i wish i'd bought that japanese jazzmaster in oregon when i had the chance a few years back.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    i wish i'd bought that japanese jazzmaster in oregon when i had the chance a few years back.
    You should have...;) I have one and it fukin rocks! Just have to change the bridge and the pups (they're not that bad but I like the slightly fuller, richer sound of the SD Hot for JM. The stock and vintage ones, especially in bridge position, are too thin for me.. ) That bridge plain sucks. I just can't help playing hard. But those dickheads at Fender General HQ have decided that not shipping spare parts to Holland would be an efficient thing to do and AllParts sends everything to the shops EXCEPT FOR Mustang replacement bridges... I guess i'll just have to wait. There are 5 shops that promised to call me if on came in.. FIVE MONTHS AGO!!
    [/berserk mode]

But anyway, it's a damn fine geetar. If you ever come across one, dont hestitate. Spend.
  • Options
    a japanese jaguar (lefty) went on ebay yesterday for quite a bit. it was mint.

these guys sell them new. here's a nice jazz.

http://southpawguitars.com/jazzmastercar.html

i like my warmoth hodgepodge though.
  • Options
    i like my warmoth hodgepodge though.

Well, yeah... you've got P-90's. I never much cared for the JazzMaster sound, but they definitely look cool and play well. You have the best of both worlds. Now if I could just get a Tele with P-90's and a Tele with Classic 57's, I would be set...
  • Options
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Well, yeah... you've got P-90's. I never much cared for the JazzMaster sound, but they definitely look cool and play well. You have the best of both worlds. Now if I could just get a Tele with P-90's and a Tele with Classic 57's, I would be set...

you might appreciate this then.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2577013420&category=2384
  • Options
    you might appreciate this then.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2577013420&category=2384

It's like Leo and George's bastard love child...

I wonder if those two ever met. Oh, to be a fly on that wall...