Options

Turntable grounding issue (advice needed)

I'm aware of several audiophiles on here with great set ups and experience, you guys might be able to help.

All of a sudden my right channel will go super bright and louder then the left. Most times I can move the grounding cable and it goes back to normal, then suddenly turn loud and bright again, it's very random and intermittent.

I have a project debut carbon, into marantz PM6005.

I have tried a different grounding cable, and I have swapped the RCA cable around and nothing changes.

It can play fine for hours then suddenly the right channel goes super loud and bright, then back again. And as I said, fiddling with the grounding cable seems to remedy it for a time.

Comments

• Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,988
    Could be a few different things. Can you replace the RCA cables or are they permanently affixed to the turntable?

Also, I would make sure that the tiny little wires that connect the cartridge to the tonearm wires are firmly crimped in place and free of corrosion. 

Those things would be my guess as the easy places to look for the most likely culprit.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    beano.79beano.79 Posts: 689
    Ok I'll check that out, the RCA cables are the pro-ject connect it cables so easily replaced.
  • Options
    Cartridge connections look perfect so I'll get some really cheap RCA cable tomorrow, if it fixes the issue I'll purchase the pro-ject ones.
  • Options
    Good luck! I hope it ends up being an easy fix for you. Those intermittent issues can be really frustrating. 
  • Options
    Ok, it's neither of those. I swapped my speaker cable around at the speakers and the problem switched left, tried different cable and still the same.

So I think it's the phono stage in my marantz 😔 will try a pre amo through the aux and see what happens...
  • Options
    Bummer! Do you have a CD player or any other source you can use to rule out issues with your Marantz that might not be in the phono pre?

At this point, it's just a matter of eliminating variables.
  • Options
    That's a good point. I can borrow one, thanks!
  • Options
    Other devices through the other inputs worked just fine, so I have hooked up a pro-ject pre amp through the aux and all is good. And a bit of a bonus is it sounds great, tighter lows and smoother highs. Glad to have it sorted, very frustrating 
  • Options
    Excellent! I'm glad you got it figured out. Better sound is definitely a bonus, too!