Options

Something Special - How is nobody talking about this beautiful song???

PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,778
It's clearly a song about Ed's daughters and it is heartwarming to the core.  O-H (Olivia, Harper)

And if the night grows long

not feeling loved

I will be there, and not just cause it's my job

I work for free cause, you are both special

My father, whom I adore and thank God everyday he is still with us (90 YO) is not in any way artistic, as I assume is the same for many of your parents.    My dad is awesome and is my best friend.  He has been there in good and bad times.  Then at some point, you become friends.  

But to have your father write a song like this for his children.  Who wouldn't want this??  

Comments

• Options
    Greyhound06Greyhound06 Posts: 24
    It is the perfect song to come down after this amazing 5 song stretch.

Love the lyrics, too. But I think this is more a solo record song than a band song. But I like it anyway.
  • Options
    mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,026
    It was ok when I listened to it the first time, nice change of pace. Didn't pay attention to the lyrics as it was playing in the background while I was cooking. But after that... well. Would've fit better on Earthling
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Options
    KB82926KB82926 Posts: 59
    That song is something special.
  • Options
    MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 231
    edited April 26
    I'm at around 30 spins of Dark Matter (SPIN SPIN!!) and Something Special is an absolute banger.
    Post edited by MikeDigs on
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,268
    It's a sweet song, and as the mother of young adults I appreciate the sentiment. But for me it's an Ed solo album song and thus feels out of place here.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,890
    It's a sweet song, and as the mother of young adults I appreciate the sentiment. But for me it's an Ed solo album song and thus feels out of place here.
    They've had what sounds like EV solo songs on their records for a long time now though

severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,320
    agree
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 628
    If songs about his kids are off limits then so are songs about his dad. So give back your copy of Ten.
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,412
    One of my least favorites
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    One of my least favorites on the album. But I still like it, so that says a lot about this album.
    Would have been near the top of the list if it was on LB or Gigaton. 
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,268
    kmcmanus said:
    If songs about his kids are off limits then so are songs about his dad. So give back your copy of Ten.

It's not a question of subject matter, it's a question of composition. That's a song well-suited to a solo acoustic concert, with Ed playing his guitar or his uke and talking about how proud he is of the women his daughters are becoming. "Alive" is a quintessential PJ song, with scorching guitar solo, intense vocals, etc.; the subject of either song is not the point. If the band had included a fiery song on this album, called, maybe, "Unfuckwithable," about how badass their wives and daughters are, well, that would, to my mind, fit the overall vibe of the album better.

You are positing an argument I didn't make. I didn't and wouldn't suggest that any topic is "off-limits;" in fact, I've argued on here for years that the band, and Ed in particular, have made it clear over the past few decades that they're going to do whatever they feel like doing, and it's our choice to follow them or not.

Moreover, "..give back your copy of Ten" makes me giggle. I had a strong aversion to PJ in 1992 because I couldn't turn on the damn TV without seeing "Jeremy." I didn't start listening until Vitalogy came out. I don't believe Ten is the greatest album of all time, or of the '90s, or even from this band.

You love the song -- that's the great thing about this band and this album, there are songs for everyone. I would like it more in the context of an Ed solo album. You have your opinion, I have mine -- and yelling at me because you don't share my opinion is not going to change my mind or win your argument.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    DEGBTIDEGBTI san diego Posts: 927
    Great song for a solo album for sure. Not sure how it end up on this album though. Seems out of place and odd to show up on this kick mother effen ass album!!!
  • Options
    kmcmanus said:

It's not a question of subject matter, it's a question of composition. That's a song well-suited to a solo acoustic concert, with Ed playing his guitar or his uke and talking about how proud he is of the women his daughters are becoming. "Alive" is a quintessential PJ song, with scorching guitar solo, intense vocals, etc.; the subject of either song is not the point. If the band had included a fiery song on this album, called, maybe, "Unfuckwithable," about how badass their wives and daughters are, well, that would, to my mind, fit the overall vibe of the album better.

You are positing an argument I didn't make. I didn't and wouldn't suggest that any topic is "off-limits;" in fact, I've argued on here for years that the band, and Ed in particular, have made it clear over the past few decades that they're going to do whatever they feel like doing, and it's our choice to follow them or not.

Moreover, "..give back your copy of Ten" makes me giggle. I had a strong aversion to PJ in 1992 because I couldn't turn on the damn TV without seeing "Jeremy." I didn't start listening until Vitalogy came out. I don't believe Ten is the greatest album of all time, or of the '90s, or even from this band.

You love the song -- that's the great thing about this band and this album, there are songs for everyone. I would like it more in the context of an Ed solo album. You have your opinion, I have mine -- and yelling at me because you don't share my opinion is not going to change my mind or win your argument.
    I was more joking than yelling…
    I agree about Ten actually, I would have ranked them fourth of the big four bands in ‘92. Then I heard Vs and never looked back, still my all time favorite album. 
    I actually kinda suspect that song made the album (and the March Madness clips) specifically to give Josh a li’l piece of the publishing but I may be wrong. Hell, I’m wrong all the time. Ask my wife.
  • Options
    Live4themusicLive4themusic Wisconsin Posts: 10
    I actually did post about something special and can't stop talking about this beautiful song. That lyric in particular gets me teary every time because it so closely reflects something that my dad tells me all the time. The first time I listened through it without distraction, laying in my dorm room late at night, I broke down because I miss my dad so much while away from him at college. It's quickly becoming one of my favorite pj songs and the only reason that I'm not listening to it more is because I can't be crying as I walk to class lol.

As for the argument that it doesn't fit the album and seems more like a solo song, don't be silly. They're allowed to write sweet songs and put them on their album. I love just breathe, which gives me similar vibes. Eddie is in pj, so this is a pj song. I feel like the "I like this song but don't think it fits on the album" is so nitpicky. Just appreciate the song.
    Cora, 21
    10c since '24
    First & only show Louisville '22
    "Without music, life would be a mistake" - Nietzsche
  • Options
    edited April 25
    I also don't get the argument about the song not fitting on a Pearl Jam album or belonging on a solo record, due to composition?  Wreckage has pop-country / pop-rock vocalization styles that I would never guessed could ever end up on a Pearl Jam album.  I cringe every time, and would rather hear Bugs + Stupid Mop on repeat than pop-country.  But I couldn't imagine not having Wreckage on the album.  It fits so good, and even though I dislike some parts of the song, it has other parts that I really like, such as the bridge, guitar, and lyrics.

Also, EV + Watt wrote Waiting For Steve, but I don't hear anyone saying that should be on a EV solo album.  EV is part of the band Pearl Jam.  EV writes songs for Pearl Jam, since Vitalogy.  No surprise to see that trend continue.

The bass is so good in Something Special, and the band is so in-sync.  The intro part reminds me of 90s Everclear.  Quite a catchy tune.  I get having this as your least ranked song, but if we are being honest, Something Special absolutely fits on Dark Matter.  Wreckage too for that matter.

Just like Bugs fits on Vitalogy.  Or I'm Open on No Code.  Or Red Dot and Push Me Pull Me on Yield.  I'm sure there are others, but you get my point.

This band is awesome, and I think that Dark Matter will age very well.  Something Special likely will grow on you if you don't like it now.
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,371
    kmcmanus said:

If this song were performed as a solo acoustic song, it would lose the twangy guitars and the rolling drums. It would be totally stripped-down from what it is on the record and not nearly as interesting or effective, in my opinion. This is a Pearl Jam song, not a solo song. It's not like "Comes Then Goes" (which is great, but basically an Ed solo song with no additional instrumentation other than guitar).
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    MikeDigs said:
    I also don't get the argument about the song not fitting on a Pearl Jam album or belonging on a solo record, due to composition?  Wreckage has pop-country / pop-rock vocalization styles that I would never guessed could ever end up on a Pearl Jam album. 

I refer you to "Off He Goes" and "Around the Bend."
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    MikeDigs said:
    I also don't get the argument about the song not fitting on a Pearl Jam album or belonging on a solo record, due to composition?  Wreckage has pop-country / pop-rock vocalization styles that I would never guessed could ever end up on a Pearl Jam album. 

You mentioned Off He Goes before, and I love that track.  I don't see Pop-Country at all.  I also love Around The Bend.
    None of theses songs have the pop-like vocals in Wreckage.   I really don't get how you are connecting those songs to Wreckage.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,822
    MikeDigs said:
    BF25394 said:
    MikeDigs said:

You mentioned Off He Goes before, and I love that track.  I don't see Pop-Country at all.  I also love Around The Bend.
    None of theses songs have the pop-like vocals in Wreckage.   I really don't get how you are connecting those songs to Wreckage.
    Those are not even close to being the same songs imo. 
  • Options
    edited April 25
    PJNB said:
    MikeDigs said:
    BF25394 said:
    MikeDigs said:

They're not the same songs, but "Off He Goes" and "Around the Bend" both have a pop-country sensibility. I'm just working off of MikeDigs' description. I don't actually hear anything "country" in "Wreckage." It is very easy to imagine a country artist doing a faithful cover of either of the No Code songs I mentioned.

EDIT: From Rob Sheffield's review of No Code from the October 1996 issue of Details:

"Off He Goes" builds its prairie atmosphere around a gentle countrified guitar riff that takes its sweet time going nowhere.

This doesn't make me right, but it just goes to show I'm not the only person who hears this. (And other reviewers made similar observations at the time.)
    Post edited by BF25394 on
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    PJNB said:
    MikeDigs said:
    BF25394 said:
    MikeDigs said:

They're not the same songs, but "Off He Goes" and "Around the Bend" both have a pop-country sensibility. I'm just working off of MikeDigs' description. I don't actually hear anything "country" in "Wreckage." It is very easy to imagine a country artist doing a faithful cover of either of the No Code songs I mentioned.

EDIT: From Rob Sheffield's review of No Code from the October 1996 issue of Details:

"Off He Goes" builds its prairie atmosphere around a gentle countrified guitar riff that takes its sweet time going nowhere.

This doesn't make me right, but it just goes to show I'm not the only person who hears this. (And other reviewers made similar observations at the time.)
    I can imagine a country artist doing a faithful cover of NIN - Hurt also.  But Hurt is not country.  I think you were focusing on the "country" aspect.  For me, it's the "pop vocal" aspect.  Whether pop-rock, pop-country, or pop-whatever.  For me, those gang chorus shouts, and pop vocal styles, I would have never imagined on a Pearl Jam album.  But it fits, and it's fine.  Won't Tell has some of the styling as well, "country-ish" or whatever.  It's the vocals I'm referring too.  Still a great song and fits on the album.

Off He Goes is a stellar track.  First got in to the No Code album this past January (late I know), but I LOVE it and every track is great.  I binged on Off He Goes on repeat for almost 2 days straight.  Off He Goes sounds nothing, whatsoever like Wreckage.  The vocal stylings in Wreckage / Won't Tell haven't been heard in any PJ song.

Anyway, the point is that even though those pop vocal / (easy listening?) / whatever styles exist in Wreckage / Won't Tell, and I could never have imagined them ending up on a Pearl Jam album, they still 100% fit on Dark Matter.  Yes they fit and they are great.

The idea that Something Special "doesn't fit" on Dark Matter is complete rubbish.  Imagine in 94', "oh no, a song about bugs sang over an accordion? oh no, that doesn't fit in"  Bugs is a banger lol
  • Options
    It’s funny how people’s ears can interpret things differently, because I don’t hear country or pop in Wreckage, I hear Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers. I say that as an enormous compliment btw
  • Options
    edited April 25
    Also, to be clear, even though Wreckage is my least favorite track, I still like it and enjoy 90% of the song.  It's got strong guitar and lyrics.  That's why Dark Matter is so special.  A lot of peoples least favorite tracks are still good to them.  I want Wreckage on the album, it enhances the other tracks.  The pop aspect I referred to is the gang chant style vocals towards the end, and the certain vocal styles that EV sings "holding on" towards that same gang shout segment.  This is a minor nitpick on my end, but I only brought this up because people were saying that Something Special doesn't belong on Dark Matter, but these vocal styles that I mention were never done on a Pearl Jam album before either, but they still belong.

I predict that in 10 years, this album will be viewed as a certified classic.  Now I'm interested to hearing the outtakes from these recording sessions.  I bet those are good too.
  • Options
    MikeDigs said:
    BF25394 said:
    PJNB said:
    MikeDigs said:
    BF25394 said:
    MikeDigs said:

I can imagine a country artist doing a faithful cover of NIN - Hurt also.  But Hurt is not country.  I think you were focusing on the "country" aspect.  For me, it's the "pop vocal" aspect.  Whether pop-rock, pop-country, or pop-whatever.  For me, those gang chorus shouts, and pop vocal styles, I would have never imagined on a Pearl Jam album.  But it fits, and it's fine.  Won't Tell has some of the styling as well, "country-ish" or whatever.  It's the vocals I'm referring too.  Still a great song and fits on the album.

Off He Goes is a stellar track.  First got in to the No Code album this past January (late I know), but I LOVE it and every track is great.  I binged on Off He Goes on repeat for almost 2 days straight.  Off He Goes sounds nothing, whatsoever like Wreckage.  The vocal stylings in Wreckage / Won't Tell haven't been heard in any PJ song.

Anyway, the point is that even though those pop vocal / (easy listening?) / whatever styles exist in Wreckage / Won't Tell, and I could never have imagined them ending up on a Pearl Jam album, they still 100% fit on Dark Matter.  Yes they fit and they are great.

The idea that Something Special "doesn't fit" on Dark Matter is complete rubbish.  Imagine in 94', "oh no, a song about bugs sang over an accordion? oh no, that doesn't fit in"  Bugs is a banger lol
    To be clear, at no point was I suggesting that "Off He Goes" is anything but stellar. (Same goes for "Around the Bend.") Nor was I saying that "Wreckage" was country. I was responding to your description of "Wreckage" and suggestion of its novelty and pointing out that songs that fit that description have graced the Pearl Jam catalog before. The most country-sounding song on Dark Matter is actually "Something Special." Its tempo and its twangy guitar are both redolent of contemporary country-rock.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    MikeDigs said:
    BF25394 said:
    PJNB said:
    MikeDigs said:
    BF25394 said:
    MikeDigs said:

To be clear, at no point was I suggesting that "Off He Goes" is anything but stellar. (Same goes for "Around the Bend.") Nor was I saying that "Wreckage" was country. I was responding to your description of "Wreckage" and suggestion of its novelty and pointing out that songs that fit that description have graced the Pearl Jam catalog before. The most country-sounding song on Dark Matter is actually "Something Special." Its tempo and its twangy guitar are both redolent of contemporary country-rock.
    Maybe it’s just me, I get big Counting Crows vibes from Something Special 
  • Options
    kmcmanus said:
    BF25394 said:
    MikeDigs said:
    BF25394 said:
    PJNB said:
    MikeDigs said:
    BF25394 said:
    MikeDigs said:

Don't ruin it for me.
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,751
    It's clearly a song about Ed's daughters and it is heartwarming to the core.  O-H (Olivia, Harper)

And if the night grows long

not feeling loved

I will be there, and not just cause it's my job

I work for free cause, you are both special

My father, whom I adore and thank God everyday he is still with us (90 YO) is not in any way artistic, as I assume is the same for many of your parents.    My dad is awesome and is my best friend.  He has been there in good and bad times.  Then at some point, you become friends.  

But to have your father write a song like this for his children.  Who wouldn't want this??  

I love it! I don’t even have kids and it brings tears to my eyes. Also, it’s easily relatable to anyone who is very special in your life. Hope to hear it in Philly with you! ❤️ 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,375
    BF25394 said:
    kmcmanus said:
    BF25394 said:
    MikeDigs said:
    BF25394 said:
    PJNB said:
    MikeDigs said:
    BF25394 said:
    MikeDigs said:

Don't ruin it for me.
    Wow your right, alot like Earthquake Driver.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,496
    I like the song if I’m in a certain mood but usually I think it messes up the flow. 
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,193
    edited April 26
    I like the song if I’m in a certain mood but usually I think it messes up the flow. 
    Same - it’s either “alright this isn’t bad” or instant skip.

I don’t have many PJ “skip” songs. But The Haves is also a skip song and Something Special feels like its sister song. Sorry Ed.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22