Options

Ohana Festival hotels and transport?

Can anyone advise on places to stay with good transport links to the festival?

I will be flying in from the UK and would rather not have to rent a car so was thinking I would stay somewhere within reasonable public transport/affordable uber range but I am struggling to find any reliable information on metrolink timetables of when the last trains of the night will leave (all the official timetables seem to cut off at about 7pm which seems insanely early).

All the nearby hotels in Dana Point are mostly booked up or incredibly expensive.

For now I have somewhere booked somewhere in Laguna Hills for $100 a night which is an hours bus ride or a 20min Uber away but the busses seem to stop at 9pm (7.45pm on the final day) and I expect getting an uber when everyone is trying to get one at the same time will be expensive and difficult. If I can find somewhere similar priced or cheaper that has decent transport links to and from the festival I might change my booking. 

Not looking for anything especially luxurious or comfortable as all I will be doing is sleeping and showering there. Price and location are the main factors.

2012 - Manchester (UK) 12 Jun - Manchester (UK) 13 Jun
2014 - Amsterdam (NL) 16 Jun - Amsterdam (NL) 17 Jun - Leeds (UK) 8 Jul - Milton Keynes (UK) 11 Jul 
2017Rio de Janeiro (BR) 21 Mar
2018 - London (UK) 18 Jun - London (UK) 19 Jun - London (UK) 17 Jul
2022Vienna (AT) 20 July - Prague (CZ) 22 July - London (UK) 8 Jul - London (UK) 9 Jul

Upcoming
Manchester (UK) 25 Jun 2024
London (UK) 29 Jun 2024
Lisbon (PT) 13 Jul 2024
Ohana (USA) 27 Sep 2024
Ohana (USA) 29 Sep 2024

Comments

• Options
    Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 3,960
    Howdy! So, you're not going to find any deals near the festival at this point. Most regular attendees book almost a year in advance, and even then, the local hotels know to keep late September at a high price. 

So, you did well by booking in Laguna Hills. You have 2 choices from there: rent a car, or Uber/Lyft to Doheny Beach each day. Nothing wrong with that! But certainly not walkable, and a bus transfer would/could take over an hour.

Regardless of how you get there, it's worth it. Always a good time at Ohana🤙
    PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, all of Vitalogy or Satan's Bed, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways (full band), You Are, Bu$hleaguer, Inside Job, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Of The Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Comfortably Numb, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!

• Options
    tomccfc87tomccfc87 Posts: 38
    Go Animal said:
    Howdy! So, you're not going to find any deals near the festival at this point. Most regular attendees book almost a year in advance, and even then, the local hotels know to keep late September at a high price. 

So, you did well by booking in Laguna Hills. You have 2 choices from there: rent a car, or Uber/Lyft to Doheny Beach each day. Nothing wrong with that! But certainly not walkable, and a bus transfer would/could take over an hour.

Regardless of how you get there, it's worth it. Always a good time at Ohana🤙

Thanks, I figured even if there were hotels available locally they would just ramp up the prices for the festival weekend anyway. 

Tbh I don't mind travelling an hour or two by bus/train if it's a relatively straightforward route (i.e not having to make multiple transfers) and if the connections are actually running after the festival ends each day. I Regularly travel up to 2 hours by train to and from concerts in the UK so I have no problem doing that. 

I would sooner avoid renting a car so I can have a few beers each day. Don't mind getting an Uber each day if that's the best option but I would be concerned with the availability and affordability of ubers after the festival ends each night. Looking at the Uber fare estimator it would be $40 dollars each way when they are not experiencing high demand surge pricing which would still be minimum $240 over the 3 days. 
    2014 - Amsterdam (NL) 16 Jun - Amsterdam (NL) 17 Jun - Leeds (UK) 8 Jul - Milton Keynes (UK) 11 Jul 
    2022Vienna (AT) 20 July - Prague (CZ) 22 July - London (UK) 8 Jul - London (UK) 9 Jul

Upcoming
    London (UK) 29 Jun 2024
    Lisbon (PT) 13 Jul 2024
    Ohana (USA) 27 Sep 2024
    Ohana (USA) 29 Sep 2024
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,414
    edited April 24
    Look at Oceanside... less than 30 min drive. 
    We in Southern California don't do public transport well... 
    Dana Point does have a free local shuttle around town... look at the city website
    Post edited by gotthebottle on
  • Options
    edited April 24
    Dana Point does have a free local shuttle around town... look at the city website
    Yeah I have been looking at Oceanside to the south and Irvine/Costa Mesa to the north as it looks like theres a few cheap hotels in each but wasn't sure how viable it would be with public transport. Really want to avoid driving if at all possible and Ubers are only a viable option within 15-20mins drive before the culmulative price over the full weekend becomes easier to just pay more for a nearer hotel.

I have been looking at places near stops along the metrolink lines but can't really find any information on how late they actually operate. I don't mind sitting on a train for a couple of hours but would rather not get left stranded after the festival closes each night.
    Post edited by tomccfc87 on

Upcoming
    London (UK) 29 Jun 2024
    Lisbon (PT) 13 Jul 2024
    Ohana (USA) 27 Sep 2024
    Ohana (USA) 29 Sep 2024
  • Options
    TA243471TA243471 The Great Northwest Posts: 1,173
    The last 2 years we found that the difference in price of the hotel still doesn't add up to enough to make it cheaper than Uber, and staying farther away.  This time we are staying half way closer, so hopefully the Uber is close to half the rate from last year.  We stayed near the John Wayne airport, and the uber was roughly $100 each way, but that was for 6 people, so was worth it to us to get the $450 hotel rate total for the 4 nights.
    • 2006: Gorge 1
    • 2009: Seattle 1
    • 2013: Seattle
    • 2016: Wrigley 1 & 2
    • 2018: Seattle 1&2, Montana
    • 2020: San Diego, LA 1&2, Oakland 1&2
    • 2022: San Diego, LA 1&2, Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Denver
  • Options
    edited April 24
    TA243471 said:
    The last 2 years we found that the difference in price of the hotel still doesn't add up to enough to make it cheaper than Uber, and staying farther away.  This time we are staying half way closer, so hopefully the Uber is close to half the rate from last year.  We stayed near the John Wayne airport, and the uber was roughly $100 each way, but that was for 6 people, so was worth it to us to get the $450 hotel rate total for the 4 nights.
    Yeah I am travelling solo so whilst ride shares may be an option, I don't want to plan for them just in case it doesn't work out and I get left having to pay for a full solo uber ride for a much longer journey.

Actually half tempted to rent a bicycle as route doesn't look too hilly and would only take about 90mins each way. I would even consider bringing my longboard and riding that down from the hotel to the festival if 1) getting it on a flight wouldn't be a pain in the ass and 2) I would be able to store it safely during the day.

Upcoming
    London (UK) 29 Jun 2024
    Lisbon (PT) 13 Jul 2024
    Ohana (USA) 27 Sep 2024
    Ohana (USA) 29 Sep 2024
  • Options
    Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 3,960
    edited April 24
    tomccfc87 said:
    TA243471 said:
    Yeah I am travelling solo so whilst ride shares may be an option, I don't want to plan for them just in case it doesn't work out and I get left having to pay for a full solo uber ride for a much longer journey.

Actually half tempted to rent a bicycle as route doesn't look too hilly and would only take about 90mins each way. I would even consider bringing my longboard and riding that down from the hotel to the festival if 1) getting it on a flight wouldn't be a pain in the ass and 2) I would be able to store it safely during the day.
    San Juan Capistrano, maybe. But biking from laguna hills? I don't think it connects (and you REALLY don't want to be biking on these main roads that bleed in & out of the highway). 

You don't have to say the hotel, but can you give us a more specific area of where you booked? Maybe some cross streets, or a landmark? There might be another option with the Metrolink + ride share...
    PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, all of Vitalogy or Satan's Bed, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways (full band), You Are, Bu$hleaguer, Inside Job, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Of The Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Comfortably Numb, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!

• Options
    tomccfc87 said:
    Yeah I have been looking at Oceanside to the south and Irvine/Costa Mesa to the north as it looks like theres a few cheap hotels in each but wasn't sure how viable it would be with public transport. Really want to avoid driving if at all possible and Ubers are only a viable option within 15-20mins drive before the culmulative price over the full weekend becomes easier to just pay more for a nearer hotel.

I have been looking at places near stops along the metrolink lines but can't really find any information on how late they actually operate. I don't mind sitting on a train for a couple of hours but would rather not get left stranded after the festival closes each night.
    No trains near Dana Point, public transportation in Orange County is non-existent. Www.metrolinktrains.com
    There will be nothing in way of trains in OC when festival over
  • Options
    Go Animal said:
    tomccfc87 said:
    TA243471 said:

San Juan Capistrano, maybe. But biking from laguna hills? I don't think it connects (and you REALLY don't want to be biking on these main roads that bleed in & out of the highway). 

You don't have to say the hotel, but can you give us a more specific area of where you booked? Maybe some cross streets, or a landmark? There might be another option with the Metrolink + ride share...
    I am staying in North Laguna Hills. It looks like the number 90 bus does directly from there to Dana point so thats my plan for getting to the festival site each day. My concern is getting back again in the evening. It's not too far to get an Uber but I am concerned with the availability and affordability of ubers when presumably thousands of people leaving the festival will be trying to get them.

Upcoming
    London (UK) 29 Jun 2024
    Lisbon (PT) 13 Jul 2024
    Ohana (USA) 27 Sep 2024
    Ohana (USA) 29 Sep 2024
  • Options
    tomccfc87 said:

No trains near Dana Point, public transportation in Orange County is non-existent. Www.metrolinktrains.com
    There will be nothing in way of trains in OC when festival over
    I was hoping getting the metrolink to/from San Juan Capistrano and just getting an uber between the station and festival would be a viable option. Better a $10 metro ticket and a $20 uber ride than a $100 uber ride for the full trip. But from what I can see the metro services end incredibly early.

Upcoming
    London (UK) 29 Jun 2024
    Lisbon (PT) 13 Jul 2024
    Ohana (USA) 27 Sep 2024
    Ohana (USA) 29 Sep 2024
  • Options
    edited April 25
    Yes ... you'll just have to do uber back. It will be a wait but it will be fine.  
    Post edited by gotthebottle on