Options

Dolby Atmos and Dark Matter

Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,508
For those that have Dolby Atmos, what kinds of setups do you have?   I have been holding out on getting a new soundbar/sound system for my TV.  Now seems like the perfect time.   Do I need nothing more than a soundbar that has "Dolby Atmos"?  Seems like the larger the system, the better, but I just want to see what might be the best bang for the buck.  I am not opposed to getting something significant, but also dont need to get that significant if I dont have to.  

I dont have the blu ray yet (coming today), and the only blu ray player I have is my Xbox One.  Will that suffice?
Turn this anger into
Nuclear fission

Comments

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,150
    I have Sonos.  It’s not audiophile but I like being able to listen to different things in different rooms of the house, out on the patio, by the pool, etc.  I have my turntable hooked into it as well- again, not audiophile but all my bedrooms and tv’s are hooked up, offices, etc.  it’s pricey but the ecosystem is well
    made
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    I have Sonos.  It’s not audiophile but I like being able to listen to different things in different rooms of the house, out on the patio, by the pool, etc.  I have my turntable hooked into it as well- again, not audiophile but all my bedrooms and tv’s are hooked up, offices, etc.  it’s pricey but the ecosystem is well
    made
    I do like sonos, but I dont think I am going to go that big with it. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,226
    edited April 23
    I have old Sonos , not Atmos but blu ray  sounds good on Atmos setting

bought recently  for my basement JBL BAR 500 Atmos soundbar with sub woofer , was $599 on sale for $399 a month ago

its pretty nice, they have more expensive ones but for the basement it sounds good
  • Options
    Anyone have either of the links above?  

Any other setups that work better than others?  I mean, I know more money probably means better quality.  

But will I experience relative Atmosness with just a decent soundbar and woofer? Or do I need 9 different speakers all perfectly positioned to hear exactly what is intended? :D
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    TL56865TL56865 Posts: 23
    I have an older model Onkyo receiver with 7.1 surround. I play the Blu-ray in a PlayStation 3.  The receiver can process a bunch of signals, but not Atmos explicitly. I'm no audio expert but the album sounds excellent to my ears.  
  • Options
    TL56865 said:
    I have an older model Onkyo receiver with 7.1 surround. I play the Blu-ray in a PlayStation 3.  The receiver can process a bunch of signals, but not Atmos explicitly. I'm no audio expert but the album sounds excellent to my ears.  
    That's good to know.  I don't plan on getting a new blu ray player, but was curious....does the blu ray player need to be trueHD or Atmos or something to play this back?  Or can it just be a normal blu ray player, that is hooked up to a dolby atmos speaker system?
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    bootlegbootleg Posts: 507
    Im probably going to have to get a full Atmos setup.  I played the blu ray through just through my TV which does have an Atmos setting and the blu ray through the TV speakers sounded better than all other versions so far.  Even the ALAC version through Bose headphones.
  • Options
    dobybluedobyblue Posts: 63
    Vedd Hedd said:
    TL56865 said:
    That's good to know.  I don't plan on getting a new blu ray player, but was curious....does the blu ray player need to be trueHD or Atmos or something to play this back?  Or can it just be a normal blu ray player, that is hooked up to a dolby atmos speaker system?

Pretty much every Blu-ray player released in the last 15 years will support Dolby TrueHD which is all you need on the player side for Atmos as the Atmos part is just metadata, the AVR needs to support Atmos decoding to get Atmos but will also play back the TrueHD 7.1 bed if it isn't Atmos-capable.
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,261
    I have a sonos arc soundbar, sub, and two era 300s. I haven't compared it to an AV receiver setup but it sounds great to me 
  • Options
    MH143221MH143221 Posts: 36
    Minority opinion here. I have a Sonos Atmos setup. An Arc, a Sub, and 2 One’s in the rear. I have an Apple TV 4K and can play Atmos tracks with Apple Music. I also have a PS5 which can play Atmos BluRays. 

I’ve listened to Dark Matter in Atmos on Apple Music and with the deluxe CD. Both mixes are identical and not great. Some songs shine more than others. Specifically the ballads. Some songs have weird drops in the mixes and unnecessary echo effects. The low end sounds great though. 

The best listening experience I’ve had with my setup is playing the album in stereo straight from the Sonos App or using Air Play to play the ALAC files. Both sound incredible. 

Charlotte 96
    Greenville 98
    Knoxville 98
    West Palm 00
    Atlanta 03
    MSG 03
    Asheville 04
    Camden 06
    Bonnaroo 08
    Columbia 08
    Atlanta 09 (EV Solo)
    Seattle 09
    Seattle 09
    MSG 10
    MSG 10
    Pensacola 12
    Wrigley 13
  • Options
    cbeitingcbeiting Posts: 78
    Vedd Hedd said:
    I have the 5.1.2 one and for the price it's not terrible. Wireless rear speakers were nice. I use them for everything and they've been great. 
    Member since 1996...
  • Options
    dobyblue said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    TL56865 said:

Pretty much every Blu-ray player released in the last 15 years will support Dolby TrueHD which is all you need on the player side for Atmos as the Atmos part is just metadata, the AVR needs to support Atmos decoding to get Atmos but will also play back the TrueHD 7.1 bed if it isn't Atmos-capable.
    Ok, this is good to know.  Thanks.  Also, thanks for the other responses.  

Keep telling me your atmos experiences!
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission