Record Player Question (from a rookie)

Hey gang, 

Sorry for the novice question, but I'm annoyed as heck. My Audio Technicha LP60 has been spinning the just a tad faster than normal. Like, a 4 minute song will finish in 3:30. Anyway, the settings are correct (33.3, not 45, and set to 12' disc.) Google tells me that I just need a new turntable belt. 

I've got one on the way, but I'm quite annoyed. The turntable is less than a year old and gets minimal play. Is there anything else I'm missing or should do? My last player (also a starter model) lasted 7 years before needing a new belt.

Thoughts? All help is appreciated!
1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: Seattle 1&2, Noblesville, Wrigley 1&2

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,194
    worn belt would not make it run faster.....

for greater exposure to experience,  I would suggest looking through audiokarma forum. extensive website. try to look past the assholism from some. plenty of helpful folks otherwise.  and your question may have already been asked and answered. report back what you find to help others here
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,108
    Gibson said:
    Hey gang, 

Sorry for the novice question, but I'm annoyed as heck. My Audio Technicha LP60 has been spinning the just a tad faster than normal. Like, a 4 minute song will finish in 3:30. Anyway, the settings are correct (33.3, not 45, and set to 12' disc.) Google tells me that I just need a new turntable belt. 

I've got one on the way, but I'm quite annoyed. The turntable is less than a year old and gets minimal play. Is there anything else I'm missing or should do? My last player (also a starter model) lasted 7 years before needing a new belt.

FWIW, after consulting ChatGPT (results may vary), two things to check - first, if you can double-check the voltage of your outlet, it's possibly receiving 120V, or even 220-240V (such as an outlet intended for use for hair dryers, etc.). That could impact the speed of playback. Next, check if the belt is perhaps over-tightened. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,214
    benjs said:
    Gibson said:
    Hey gang, 

FWIW, after consulting ChatGPT (results may vary), two things to check - first, if you can double-check the voltage of your outlet, it's possibly receiving 120V, or even 220-240V (such as an outlet intended for use for hair dryers, etc.). That could impact the speed of playback. Next, check if the belt is perhaps over-tightened. 
    Having 220 would be crazy...  I would have your house checked out if that is the case because those plugs for 110 and 220 are not interchangeable.

Even an air conditioner outlet has different prong settings.