Options

*Bouncing with Excitement*

pariahpariah Posts: 596
edited January 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
....for I've seen my soon-to-be amp!!! After getting VERY dissappointed at http://www.hiwatt.com, I learnt that for once it DOESN't suck to live in Europe! What's the case? In America, the owner of Hiwatt, Fernandes *bwark* guitars, has all rights on Hiwatt and builds only very shitty practice amps. I had come to terms with the idea that one of those glorious Hiwatts would remain a dream, and I would settle on a silverface twin...

Until today. :D

Today I learnt Fernandes is not the only company with Hiwatt rights... http://www.hiwatt.co.uk made my dreams come true. Within a few months, i'll probably will own a Hiwatt Custom 50 with a nice cab to go with it. I won't settle for less!!! (to be honest, it helps that the thing doesn't cost €3000 as I expected... I'm gonna pay 1200 for it. Hell yeah rock 'n roll.)

I'm happy right now. Just wanted to share. :D:D:D
"Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    sweet. the real deal. \m/:D
  • Options
    House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    The Custom 50 is a great amp... I had one for a year or so... it was just too much amp for me and the gigs I am playing now... I played a grandstand with it though... unmiked...

be sure to get a fane loaded cab to go with it... that is key to have efficient speakers like that for that signature Hiwatt tone...

although mr. vedder uses a marshall cab, I would suggest a hiwatt cab like mr. townshend.
    There's No Code.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    nice, 1200 pounds? I knew hiwatts were still available over there. most of the ones we see here are 1973 or 74 DR 504's from the Dave Reeves era. THey run around $1500 used here. The 100 watt models are slightly cheaper.

If you can get the 4x12 with Fane speakers.

That's a fucking killer amp but it's loud too be ready.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    1200 Euros. About 830 pounds... Even better...:)
    I'll go for fanes if I recovered from buying the head. Until then, I'll see if I can find a not-too-expensive (>€200) 2x12 or 4x10. Surprisingly, that's not even that hard here. I refound my love for Europe... :D

...that's six smiles in two posts. I'm getting borderline psycho here..
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Why do they always get a great amp for their great guitar and then get lousy speakers? *sigh*
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    Hey! Go easy on me... If I have to buy the 4x12 and the Head at one time, I'll have to wait half a year EXTRA... b/c summer holiday is the first next time when I can make a decent amonunt of money (im still a student..). At least for one night, let me taste the positive symptoms of GAS...:)
  • Options
    And i'd prefer
    if you wouldn't refer
    to me as "they".

Thank you very much. ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by pariah
    Hey! Go easy on me... If I have to buy the 4x12 and the Head at one time, I'll have to wait half a year EXTRA... b/c summer holiday is the first next time when I can make a decent amonunt of money (im still a student..). At least for one night, let me taste the positive symptoms of GAS...:)

Oh, I'm just the resident speaker junkie.

Just promise me you won't spend the next ten years playing that amp through a Peavey 4x12?
  • Options
    a 4x10 would be a great option, smaller less weight but the 4x12 is more ballsy They also have 1x15 cabs that are sweet. and feel free to substitute Fane's with Weber's or Celestions.

Untill you can afford the cab you might get an attenuator or DI combination that allows you to still record and hear your amp.

some great ones here. http://www.webervst.com
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Oh, I'm just the resident speaker junkie.

Just promise me you won't spend the next ten years playing that amp through a Peavey 4x12?
    Promise. :)
  • Options
    Hey Paco, where were those 4x10 cabs with the Vox Bulldog 10's? Those were pretty well-priced.

My 4x10" cab is the coolest in existence.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    a 4x10 would be a great option, smaller less weight but the 4x12 is more ballsy They also have 1x15 cabs that are sweet. and feel free to substitute Fane's with Weber's or Celestions.
    I've seen a Marshall 1932(?) 4x10 for 200 here.. think I'll go with that for now, then save up for a Hiwatt cab. How would Celestions substitute for Fanes, if a Hiwatt cab is so much better than a Marshall? MIG would prolly shoot me anyway..
  • Options
    If you could find one of those old Mesa Engineering 4x12" cabs, with the Black Shadow speakers, those would be the ideal cab for that Hiwatt. The bottom two speakers are sealed, and the top two are completely open, so you get great bottom and screaming highs.
  • Options
    I've seen a Marshall 1932(?) 4x10 for 200 here.. think I'll go with that for now, then save up for a Hiwatt cab. How would Celestions substitute for Fanes, if a Hiwatt cab is so much better than a Marshall? MIG would prolly shoot me anyway..

apples and oranges. Fanes are traditionally found in Hiwatt Cabs. Celestion in Orange and Marshall.

The 1932 probably has some sort of celestions loaded inside. Fanes and celestions are very smooth and have nice breakup. A good compliment to british amps. There's no right or wrong really.

the wattage, ohms and materials used to build the speakers are more important.

Generally the lower the wattage the earlier the breakup. Alnico mags are generally sweeter while ceramics are more edgy. Neither is really better.
  • Options
    Aren't there more cabs that have that kind of half-open construction? I like the sound of that, but I doubt I can get my hands on ANY old non-marshall cab, let alone a mesa...
  • Options
    I've seen a Marshall 1932(?) 4x10 for 200 here.. think I'll go with that for now, then save up for a Hiwatt cab.

I have one of the Marshall cabs... it's actually model 1965, and in either angled (A) or straight (B) versions with Celestion vintage-style 10's. They're great cabinets.
  • Options
    apples and oranges. Fanes are traditionally found in Hiwatt Cabs. Celestion in Orange and Marshall.

The 1932 probably has some sort of celestions loaded inside. Fanes and celestions are very smooth and have nice breakup. A good compliment to british amps. There's no right or wrong really.

I understand, but I meant "better for Hiwatt heads"... sloppy English and tired head...
  • Options
    Aren't there more cabs that have that kind of half-open construction? I like the sound of that, but I doubt I can get my hands on ANY old non-marshall cab, let alone a mesa...

I bet there are more than a few old Vox cab's around that are open or semi open. Probably a few Semi open marshalls as well look and ask around there's a lot of badass stuff in europe.
  • Options
    House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    Hiwatt cabs are more thoroughly constructed than Marshall cabs, typically. I don't want to say that they are flat out "better," but they are definitely better at getting that classic Hiwatt sound. Marshall cabs are great for the Marshall sound... some people like to mix them.

I was just saying, as a Hiwatt fan, that to get the true Hiwatt experience, it is best to go with some fanes in a Hiwatt cab.

Amps and cabs compliment each other differently... different configurations help different amps and suit them better than others... for example 410s in a super reverb, vs 212 in a twin, vs 112 in a deluxe... these speaker setups add to the flavor of the amp.

So, I guess what I am trying to say is... try different combinations with that head... listen to the cabs from across the room and see how the perform. Whatever sounds best to you, is what you should use.
    There's No Code.
  • Options

The Mesa cab is the only one I've ever seen with two speakers completely sealed and two open, but there are others with like half-backs and three-quarter backs. They just aren't sealed.
  • Options
    I understand, but I meant "better for Hiwatt heads"... sloppy English and tired head...

There is no better. I'd either look for Celestion Greenbacks (25 watts), Vintage 30's or Fane's 25 watters. they will all sound awesome.

But most vintage Hiwatt Cabs have Fanes. Everything Hiwatt is built better than Marshall. In my opinion the two best English cabs are Hiwatt and Orange (Matamp)

but marshalls are fine. If you can find one the Marshall TV (Tall Vintage) cabs are my favorite.
  • Options
    Also, here's an eBay Marshall 1965A:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3700611937&category=38075

I love mine... people who don't know about 10" speakers on guitar are truly not living.
  • Options
    Originally posted by House53
    So, I guess what I am trying to say is... try different combinations with that head... listen to the cabs from across the room and see how the perform. Whatever sounds best to you, is what you should use.
    Too bad I cant try Fanes here... I have to order all that stuff from Germany. I guess the 4x10 is my best option for know... 4x12s are a little too bulky for me right now anyway.
  • Options

I love mine... people who don't know about 10" speakers on guitar are truly not living.

Nice.. this is what I can get here...

yeah well you're cheating webbers are awesome. I had no Idea they had that many models available.
  • Options
    Anyway, I'm going to take some rest... I'm in the middle of an exam week... and you guys effectively kept my head away from learning. :)
    Thanks for your help all. Goodnight.
  • Options
    Anyway, I'm going to take some rest... I'm in the middle of an exam week... and you guys effectively kept my head away from learning. :)
    Thanks for your help all. Goodnight.

goodnight. Congratulations on the Hiwatt.
  • Options
    I offically fucking hate Fernandez guitars. Fucking bastards.

Look at that 50 watt bulldog. And we get 20 watt Korean built ass crap. Fernandes must be run like shit, they seem to have the shitty market cornered.
  • Options
    yeah well you're cheating webbers are awesome. I had no Idea they had that many models available.

Yep, I have my Weber cab and my Celestion-loaded Marshall cab. I need to find a replacement speaker for the Marshall, though, one speaker is flubbin'. Maybe I'll tear it apart tonight, try to find the problem... it's not in the cone, I think it's in the voice coil. Which would be bad.