Options

Line 6: Pearl Jam Blasphemy!!

pariahpariah Posts: 596
edited February 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://www.line6.com/hd147/home.asp

Grr... stupid modeling maniacs...
"Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    300 watts, hmm. I can't seem to use 15.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    KilmanKilman Posts: 18
    300 watts!? That seems just a little excessive to me. I have a 180 watt and if i turn up to about 7 or 8 i'm blowing the rest of my band members through the fucking wall. I've actually been looking for a smaller head (currently playing a Fender Delux 180 through a Marshall 60's cab) so i can crank my amp to get a pure overdriven tone.
    If we all stop voting, will they all go away?
  • Options
    House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    Well, that is bullshit using the DTE lyrics.

However, it is a good idea that these companies have when making these solid state amps high wattage ratings.

Just like a PA that is solid state, the sound is good until it gets overdriven and distorted.

Once solid state electronics are overdriven... they sound bad. Listen to most solid state amps when cranked... not good.

However at lower volumes, they can produce some good clean tones and are generally pleasing to the ear.

So, in order to allow more volume with no distortion increase the headroom and the wattage of the amp... that way you can be compete in volume without overdricing the amp... with line 6 all of their amps have modelling effects for the sounds/tones that are available... they are not relying on the output stage to do anything but make those signals louder...

The same thing with the Mode 4 from Marshall

I do not like modeling amps, but they are getting better.

If you want a modelling amp to keep up with a 100 watt tube amp and keep its tone in tact... you need that much available power...

just my thoughts.
    There's No Code.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by House53
    Well, that is bullshit using the DTE lyrics.

However, it is a good idea that these companies have when making these solid state amps high wattage ratings.

Just like a PA that is solid state, the sound is good until it gets overdriven and distorted.

Once solid state electronics are overdriven... they sound bad. Listen to most solid state amps when cranked... not good.

However at lower volumes, they can produce some good clean tones and are generally pleasing to the ear.

So, in order to allow more volume with no distortion increase the headroom and the wattage of the amp... that way you can be compete in volume without overdricing the amp... with line 6 all of their amps have modelling effects for the sounds/tones that are available... they are not relying on the output stage to do anything but make those signals louder...

The same thing with the Mode 4 from Marshall

I do not like modeling amps, but they are getting better.

If you want a modelling amp to keep up with a 100 watt tube amp and keep its tone in tact... you need that much available power...

just my thoughts.

I agree. wholeheartedly.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    The other thing to consider is that solid state amps are relatively consistent over their power band... so you can get monster tones out of a monster amp at low volumes. A tube amp needs to drive at about 75% of it's total capacity to sound good (power tubes being driven, resulting in compression, sweetness, and warmth). So, not only can a 300-watt solid-state amp compete with a 100-watt Marshall, cranked... but it can also sit in your bedroom and sound good at bedroom levels.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    I wasn't even going to start whining about the amp itself. If anyone who plays venues that need 300 watts chooses to play a Line6 toy (I can't get myself to like the amps... I've played the Vetta, the Flextone and various Spiders and they didn't even sound that bad... but they made me feel like I was in some partyband playing bad eighties hits) it's his fucking problem. But keep your stinky modeling paws off of PJ lyrics.
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    PODs rule
    marketing drools.
  • Options
    I fairly liked the POD for it's usefulness as a recording tool... I also liked the DM4, but I really disliked the distortion modeler. And lets not forget the Variax. Talk about waste of wood. Bah.
  • Options
    well i use use a podxtpro rack unit it powered by a mesa 50/50 stereo tube power amp...and i can get that setup to sound as good or better than a lot of regular tube amps, and its definitley not a toy or a partyband thing. maybe if you play the factory presets. but thats lame...setup the tones you want to use. they are amazingly accurate already at their modeling of tones and add a tube power amp to that and BAM.
    i remember you...i was gonna vote for you one time...but voting isn't cool so i stayed home and got trashed on listerine.
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Originally posted by dannyschmanny
    well i use use a podxtpro rack unit it powered by a mesa 50/50 stereo tube power amp...and i can get that setup to sound as good or better than a lot of regular tube amps, and its definitley not a toy or a partyband thing. maybe if you play the factory presets. but thats lame...setup the tones you want to use. they are amazingly accurate already at their modeling of tones and add a tube power amp to that and BAM.

yes....

if i ever need a second amp for dirty sounds (ie, if i ever join a band) i'm poweramping my pod.