New Amp

pariahpariah Posts: 596
edited June 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Proudly introducing...

the HIWATT CUSTOM STUDIO/STAGE MKII AMP!!

damn what a great, great product. I chose it over the DR504 because it's switchable from 40 to 20 watts, so you can let it wail (and boy does it wail!) at band practice volume. Makes it far more usable. HEAVENLY cleans. Reverb is also a nice touch. It hates my Jackhammer (fizz fizz fizz) but what the hell!

So now I just need to find an affordable 2x12 with G12H's. Compared some cabs under it and those were just as good if not better than the Fanes. Greensbacks are not quite as cool.

I is happy. :D
"Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    sweet. Kicks ass dosen't it.

good luck finding a cab. Ex knew a fairly cheap site.

I know the plexi palace sells them as do matamp and several others. Probably more than you want to spend but I'll post some sites to look at.

http://www.drzamps.com

http://www.matamp.com

http://www.plexipalace.com

http://www.fatsoundguitars.com

the rest you probably know.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    awesome. i've never even had the chance to hear a hi-watt in person but i'm sure it's incredible.
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    sweet. Kicks ass dosen't it.

good luck finding a cab. Ex knew a fairly cheap site.

I know the plexi palace sells them as do matamp and several others. Probably more than you want to spend but I'll post some sites to look at.

Cool stuff! Far outta my price range but something to look at in the future. Here in Holland, I've seen some second hand TSL cabs with a V30 and a Heritage speaker. €250. I'll check those out first i think:rolleyes:.

EDIT: the many edits are due to my blood alcohol level.... I heard I passed my finals this week :D:D
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
    BTW... for intersested North-Americans, this is the exact same amp:

http://www.reevesamps.com/reeves_amplification-6-6-04_011.htm

I didn't pay 1800 dollars for it :D Europe can rock sometimes
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    For an amp like that, you'd probably want a higher-wattage speaker, one that won't flub out on you early. I'd personally recommend the G12T-75:

http://professional.celestion.com/products/guitar/classic_detail.asp?ID=5

Mojo Tone speakers are also QUITE nice, and I think they'd do well for this application:

http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/cgi-bin/mojotone/4012206.html
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    mig I gues you're right... I heard the G12H's in a 4x12, but in a 2x12 the would only have a capability of handling 60w total. The amp is rated at 40W but overdriven i guess it can put out much more (as I have read about other Hiwatts.) I'll have to try some 2x12's myself i guess.
    Originally posted by pariah
    mig I gues you're right...

I do know speakers.

You should've bought that Electro Harmonix cab on eBay... it went for $227 or something ridiculous like that...
    I know you do :)

And I know I should have. But the amp purchase pretty much depleted my bank account, so I'll have to wait another month or so. I'm just a poor student (well now that I bought the amp I am)..
    Originally posted by pariah
    I know you do :)

And I know I should have. But the amp purchase pretty much depleted my bank account, so I'll have to wait another month or so. I'm just a poor student (well now that I bought the amp I am)..

Ah, poor in money but not in spirit lad. For you bought a Hiwatt and you are rich with tone.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    Ah, poor in money but not in spirit lad. For you bought a Hiwatt and you are rich with tone.

That speaks for itself :D

Btw, being in a thread bulking with knowledge (;)) I would like to know something else.. I currently play through an old 2x15 cab, but I don't know its ohmage. Should I just set my amp for the lowest ohmage possible to avoid damaging it?
    http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

You really need to check the ohm levels of the speakers even if that involves taking the back of the cab off to check the levels. The hiwatts are switchable so you'll be ok probably, but you really need to make sure it matches up. You don't want to over cook the transformers or anything else in that beauty. I'm going to wager that it's probably 8 ohms. That's pretty standard.
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
    I'd do what paco said... pop open the back of the cabinet and see if you can find an ohmage for the speakers. You'll also need to determine if it's wired in parallel or in series... if the leads go from the jack to both speakers, and then leads return from both speakers to the negative, you have parallel wiring, which cuts the resistance in half. If the wire travels from the jack to the first speaker, and then from the first speaker to the second speaker, and then back to the jack, it's series wiring, which doubles the resistance. Then take a sharpie or something and write the ohmage rating on the exterior of the cab, so you'll remember it.

If it's a 2x15" cab, it was most likely designed as a bass cabinet. Most bass amps operate at either 4 ohms or 8 ohms. Older tube bass amps were more likely 4 ohms, so if I had to guess, I'd say you have two 8 ohm speakers in parallel, for a total of 4 ohms. But if you blow up your amp, I'm not payin' for it.
    So... opened it up, wiring was parralel but there was no ohmage on the speakers (although there were a couple of 8's amongs the numbers, no ohmage symbol was printed.) Since wiring is parrallel and 32 ohm speakers seem rare, that would mean that the cab is 8§Ù max. Now does it hurt to keep the resistance switch on the amp on 16, just to make sure? Here it says it doesn't, here they state it does... though i tend to trust the fisrt source more...

BTW, it's a very big housed 2x12, not a 2x15 :o
    If you have to mis-match, you'd rather put more resistance on the amp than it wants, rather than less resistance than it wants. So, if your amp wants to see 16 ohms, but it sees 8 instead, that's a bad thing. However, if your amp wants to see 8 ohms, and it sees 16, that's not as big a problem. You definitly WANT to match the resistance rating, or come as close as possible. I still say it's probably a 4 ohm cab...