Bad Idea

pariahpariah Posts: 596
edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Fellow guitar players....

DO NOT hold your guitar in one hand and pick up a stage light with the other. Why not? I did thursday and became an official member of the Shock Squad. Dude what a trip... weirder than marihuana....

By the way, performing that night rocked (music night at school). But every muscle in my back and arms still aches.

Just thought I'd warn you guys (though some of the more experienced among you already knew I'm sure...;))
"Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    thank you for the words of caution. i never would have thought of that. the more you know...
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    That's pretty much true for anything... your guitar is plugged into a system of power, with one ground source. If you are directly connected with that ground source (via the strings, bridge, hardware, tuners, etc) and connect yourself to another ground source (stagelight, bad-wired microphone, etc) you can do some serious damage. The most important thing is to avoid hand-to-hand electrical travel... that passes the current right through your chest, including heart and lungs. Now, usually stray current like that isn't enough to kill ya, but you'll feel it, and can suffer burns of varying degrees. However, if there is a particular problem with the grounding in one or both systems, you can face serious deadly voltages. It's nothing to play around with. I once got shocked by a 1000-watt Par 64 light with a bad ground, and it was enough to lay me out on the ground. DON'T FUCK WITH ELECTRICITY!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    That goes for water on the stage too. Don't stand in spilled beer or piss on electric fences.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Well I sure wish this thread would've been here before I posted it...:rolleyes: Hand-to-hand electrical travel is right what it was. My back still hurts like hell, as do my arms. No fun at all. It really thought lights like that were isolated in some kind of way. Dumb me... :)
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."