Is the Launch Pad for me?

pariahpariah Posts: 596
edited July 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I believe some of you (Ex? Paco?) have experience with the Barber Launch pad and I was wondering if it could be something for me... the Hiwatt has two inputs, but don't know if they are out of phase. Is this always the case with two input amps?

BTW I have pics of the amp here
"Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    those inputs might actually be high and low. my fender actually has two inputs per channel too. one high, one low. but the normal and vibrato channels are completely separate preamps and i use the launch pad to run both the high inputs at once. the pedal was designed for this type of amp. i haven't tried it with any other amp at this point.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    the launch pad is pretty much a bad ass clean boost. it happens to have some special features that make it perfect for Fender tube amps.

what you have is a high and low impedence input. you use Hi for regular passive pickups. Low for active pickups.

The fenders are different because they have two seperate channel inputs, normal and vibrato. The Barber allows combination of the two. So no in that since it's not what you are asking about

Will it still work for you? Sure. It's awesome. 24volts of clean headroom then boost. I'm sure it will kick up the output from your guitar considerably. It just depends on what kind of character you want going into the amp.

What you should do is email David Barber, tell him what you want out of the Launch Pad and ask, he's got several different pedals now that do different things, so chances are he can help you more than us. Hell he designed them. All I can say is that I'm very happy with the sound and quality of my Barber Direct Drive, and I think Ex loves his Launch Pad.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i don't even turn my launch pad off anymore. i just adjst the gain slightly depending on the guitar i'm using. the combined channels are way more harmonic that each on it's own.
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Thanks guys for the help so far. I'll email Barber about it.
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    what you have is a high and low impedence input. you use Hi for regular passive pickups. Low for active pickups.

I don't. I like the sound of my guitar through the Lo input much more than that of the Hi input. When I put it into Hi I have to cut back treble to 10 o'clock to prevent splitting my eardrums..
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by pariah
    Thanks guys for the help so far. I'll email Barber about it.

I don't. I like the sound of my guitar through the Lo input much more than that of the Hi input. When I put it into Hi I have to cut back treble to 10 o'clock to prevent splitting my eardrums..

either is fine. it's just a general rule. the Hiwatts are rather bright. That's one way to tone it down a bit.

What are you looking for in the boost. Overdrive? Warmth? obviously not treble. What do you want to get out of it?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    What are you looking for in the boost. Overdrive? Warmth? obviously not treble. What do you want to get out of it?

Overdrive mainly. It's quite a warm amp, though added warmth is always good in my book. And versatility... solo boost and stuff. To take it over the top if needed. Being a low-wattage amp I get a lot of saturation from the amp itself, so I don't think I would need added gain out of a box; just boost would be ideal.

The reason I was looking at the launch pad was that I thought that combining the Hi and Lo outputs would be the same as jumping channels on a four-input amp. :rolleyes: