Options

Is the Vinyl better ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    aurynsdadaurynsdad Posts: 774
    edited April 20
    Anyone using Spotify, make sure to go into settings and under "Audio Quality" make sure it's on the highest setting under wifi. On this setting, the album actually sounds pretty damn dynamic to me, and there is no wall of noise to hurt my ears.

Looking forward to hearing my vinyl (10C red version) when it arrives.
    Post edited by aurynsdad on
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!), 10/1/94 Bridge School, 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!), 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!), 10/25/03 B. School, 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!), 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!), 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!), 5/13/22 Oakland (W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • Options
    tylerjtylerj Indiana Posts: 286
    aurynsdad said:
    Anyone using Spotify, make sure to go into settings and under "Audio Quality" make sure it's on the highest setting under wifi. On this setting, the album actually sounds pretty damn dynamic to me, and there is no wall of noise to hurt my ears.

I need to listen to the streaming + CD again for comparison, but, as someone also, said the 48 mins on 1LP is really hurting the sound quality of the record. 24 mins on 1 side is really pushing it. 
    Chicago, Aug 24, 2009 
    Noblesville, May 7, 2010
    PJ20 Night 1, 2011
    Cincinnati, Oct. 1, 2014
    Milwaukee, Oct. 20, 2014
    Wrigley Field, Aug 20, 2016
    Wrigley Field, Aug 22, 2016
    Wrigley Field, Aug 18, 2018
    Wrigley Field, Aug 20, 2018
    St. Louis, Sept. 18, 2022
    Chicago, Sept. 5, 2023
    Chicago, Sept. 7, 2023

• Options
    beano.79beano.79 Posts: 684
    edited April 20
    tylerj said:
    aurynsdad said:

I need to listen to the streaming + CD again for comparison, but, as someone also, said the 48 mins on 1LP is really hurting the sound quality of the record. 24 mins on 1 side is really pushing it. 
    And I believe side B is over 24 mins.. it has 6 songs including the 3 longest on the album.

2 disc, music on 3 sides like gigaton would have been perfect 

Edit: having checked it's closer to 28 mins for side B 😬
    Post edited by beano.79 on
  • Options
    tylerjtylerj Indiana Posts: 286
    beano.79 said:
    tylerj said:
    aurynsdad said:

And I believe side B is over 24 mins.. it has 6 songs including the 3 longest on the album.

Yikes. Makes sense since Setting Sun is worst sounding on the vinyl. 
    Chicago, Aug 24, 2009 
    Noblesville, May 7, 2010
    PJ20 Night 1, 2011
    Cincinnati, Oct. 1, 2014
    Milwaukee, Oct. 20, 2014
    Wrigley Field, Aug 20, 2016
    Wrigley Field, Aug 22, 2016
    Wrigley Field, Aug 18, 2018
    Wrigley Field, Aug 20, 2018
    St. Louis, Sept. 18, 2022
    Chicago, Sept. 5, 2023
    Chicago, Sept. 7, 2023

• Options
    efroten2efroten2 Chicago Posts: 66
    beano.79 said:
    tylerj said:
    aurynsdad said:

Better yet, cut Got to Give off the album.  B)
    1994: Bridge School Night 2
    1995: Sacramento, San Jose
    1998: Sacramento
    2001: Bridge School Night 2
    2003: St. Louis, Champaign, Irvine 1, Irvine 2, Chicago, East Troy, Noblesville
    2004: Grand Rapids
    2006: Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Cleveland, Milwaukee 2
    2007: Chicago (The Vic), Chicago (Lolla)
    2009: Chicago 1, Chicago 2
    2010: Noblesville
    2013: Chicago, San Diego
    2014: St. Louis, Milwaukee
    2016: Chicago 1 & 2
    2018: Chicago 1 & 2
    2011: PJ20 1 & 2
  • Options
    efroten2 said:
    beano.79 said:
    tylerj said:
    aurynsdad said:

Better yet, cut Got to Give off the album.  B)
    😂 You spelled something special wrong.

Seriously though it's a really good album and it a shame it doesn't sound as good as it deserves 
  • Options
    So we have a 20min 28min split.

Surely 26/22 would have been a better split. Still too much though
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,505
    Yeah, now I hear what you are hearing. It's a little compresssed. Messing with the equalizer helps a bit. But the youtube videos sound a bit more dynamic.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,984
    The CD sounds pretty good to me but the way the drums were recorded sound at odds with how Matt Cameron should sound, IMO. His style begs for big, gut punching dynamics like on Soundgarden albums. 

There is compression to the point where each snare hit has a harsh leading edge to it and the reverb on the drums feels more like it belongs on a Motley Crue record than a Pearl Jam record.

The drum sound gives the rest of the mix a bit of an artificial feel. It's too bad because it's a really great record! I agree with those who have said it is their best effort since Avocado.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    halvhalv Posts: 680
    I’m loving this album but am very disappointed with the RSD vinyl and from what I’m reading it sounds like the cd will be the same. I got caught up in the Record Store Day excitement and paid way too much for the vinyl. If it sounded amazing I could justify it. But it’s so compressed it gives me a headache. I’ve been listening to it on Spotify and shockingly prefer that. 
  • Options
    KM73780KM73780 Posts: 1,039
    edited April 21
    Where can I get the FLAC file version?
    Post edited by KM73780 on
  • Options
    The album definitely sounds better on Amazon music, through some buds while I'm running than it does through a half decent set up on record at home...
  • Options
    bootlegbootleg Posts: 506
    Got the 10c vinyl today and spun it.  Sadly it’s probably the worst version I’ve listened to so far.  Also while I expect some cracks and pops this has some of the loudest pops in some of the worst places.  Will have to spin it again to see if they were just random but even if they were the mix on the vinyl was just the toughest to listen to.  The Blu Ray version was a thousand times better and I haven’t even played that one through a good system yet.  The HD version through Amazon was good (Atmos Off), and the ALAC version was good.  The vinyl was just bad.
  • Options
    MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 230
    aurynsdad said:

This has been my listening experience as well, HQ Spotify and it sounds spectacular from day 1.  I play it loud.  It fucking rocks.

And all of those lush sounds.  No wonder someone couldn't make out that awesome laugh at 3:01 on React, Respond.

I'm bummed that not everyone is experiencing the beautiful soundscape that is Dark Matter.