Song writing question

surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
edited January 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
When constructing a song I have problems finding music that goes with the chorus.

In putting togethor a song I have a main riff or recurring musical theme, the music played under the sung verses, music that goes along with the chorus and music that bridges theses pieces.

I have no problem coming up with the main idea, verse music or bridges but I stumble at the chorus. The source of my problem is that the chorus works around the words and I can't ever seem to find music that is not derivative that matches the hook in the chorus.

How do others tackle this? Should I be tackling this problem from another angle? Could it be I am trying to marry a power pop type of chorus with a more classic rock type of main riff?

Any and all input is much appreciated.
“One good thing about music,
when it hits you, you feel to pain.
So brutalize me with music.”
~ Bob Marley
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• afaridafarid Posts: 177
    man I do not how to help you. But what i do most of the time is come up with the lyrics first. I find it is easier. However some people find it hard. You know what just hum the riff in your head or out loud and I am sure it will lead you into a cool chorus that is what i do when i get stuck
    Toronto 03, 05, 06, 09
    Montreal 03, 05
    Kitchener 03
    Ottawa 05
    New Jersey 06
    Chicago 07
    Washington DC 08
    NYC 08
    EDDIE 08
  • yeah i ALWAYS write the lyrics first, then put a riff to it later....but im 15 so i probably dont know the best way write a song.
  • I dunno how u can write the lyrics 1st... I can never do it... and the only time I've come close to it, I wrote a poem and sorta changed bits of it to fit the song. I've never been able to write the lyrics 1st... but that's just the way I work.

As for coming up w/ a chorus... I dunno how to help... but if u just stick at it, let the music flow thru u and not think about it too much, something should come naturally.

Best of luck w/ it tho!
    "...to love some silly piece of music... or some band so much that it hurts"