How Could Pearl Jam Be Better Live

surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
edited March 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I don't want to get flamed for this but I think there are things that Pearl Jam could do better in concert without losing their identity.

1. Backing vocals - they are horribly inconsistent.

2. Take ownership of your biggest songs - that Alive is not a crowd participation highpoint every night is a crime. They have enough great slower songs to showcase on a rotating basis; Black, Present Tense, Immortality, All or None. Zeppelin managed to keep fresh doing Whole Lotta Love, Black Dog, Stairway every night.

3. Pacing - Sometimes they suffer from mid-tempoitis. I know they constantly change their set list but some set lists have nothing they are building towards.

What do you think?
“One good thing about music,
when it hits you, you feel to pain.
So brutalize me with music.”
~ Bob Marley
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SmitreSmitre Posts: 68
    surferdude wrote:
    I don't want to get flamed for this but I think there are things that Pearl Jam could do better in concert without losing their identity.

1. Backing vocals - they are horribly inconsistent.

Agree

2. Take ownership of your biggest songs - that Alive is not a crowd participation highpoint every night is a crime. They have enough great slower songs to showcase on a rotating basis; Black, Present Tense, Immortality, All or None. Zeppelin managed to keep fresh doing Whole Lotta Love, Black Dog, Stairway every night.

Disagree. Keep it fresh and different every night.

3. Pacing - Sometimes they suffer from mid-tempoitis. I know they constantly change their set list but some set lists have nothing they are building towards.

Mostly Disagree. Some shows do have their awkward moments but that is also part of the charm with always changing setlists. Love to be surprised and I am sure it helps them stay fresh also.
    www.givelife.org [Red Cross Blood Donation]
    1-800-GiveLife 1-800-448-3543
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    On Point 2. "Disagree. Keep it fresh and different every night." They have some songs that basically do not leave their set list on a night to night basis. Play Alive early in the set instead of Cordoroy, see how the fans react. Sometimes I think that Pearl Jam is afraid to let an audience get too worked up and feeling like things are out of control.

On Point 3. I think they can juggle their set list every night with a purpose in mind. A great concert should have emtional highlights that the band builds towards. Some shows lack this focus, like a movie with great actors and a bad director.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    don't include organ in every song.

2 organ chords on Animal takes away from the sound not adding to it. It's like a bad emo band. Every emo band it seems has a keyboard player whether or not he has a place. Generally its some guy that is along for the ride that plays 2 or 3 chords and makes wierd noises off of his synth when he gets the feeling too.

Boom is awesome, he sounds great on slower and blusey songs where the B3 not only fits but really adds to the music, but they should allow him to take breaks. There's no place for the B3 in Animal. Let the Guitars handle that one.

#2 I love Mike, everyone here knows that, but encourage more back and forth between him and Stone. Stone is completely different and his riffs are awesome, I want to hear more. I never liked DTE much until last tour when Stone went off in the solos. Mike is bright clear brilliant and fantastic, Stones sound is dark fat mysterious and fucking cool. Bounce it back and forth. Geez I'd love to hear them do TOD's Reach Down and tear it up.

Let Ed play acoustic more often. That Martin is fantastic, for a song that calls for acoustic, let Ed do it. Stones Taylor is on the bright side for that matter so is that damn Hamer Duotone, leave them in the case. Play the frets off that Trussart Rusty Tele the "Charlie Brown" strat and the LP's also keep the Savage Blitz 50 in the sonic loop.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Just a few minor things:

Get Matt's drums to sound better. You can see he's kicking ass on the kit, but you can't really hear it.

Get Stone to wake the fuck up, get that old time energy back in him. And get his guitar tone back in shape.

Hmm...no big gripes, really. They kick a lot of ass live.

Oh yeah...retire Yellow Ledbetter for a while. And cut back on the covers.
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    i love the sound that they have. Mike and Stone are great guitarist, but, i think that a little more distortion would make it sound more badass. I'm not sayin they should turn their amps up to eleven or anything, but it might add a little more. I agree w/ the keyboard comment though. Not every song calls for organ. Lastly, eddie's guitar seems a little out of tune when he plays sometimes, if he fixed that up, it would sound a little better. A Matt Cameron drum solo wouldn't be to shabby here and there. He doesn't have to go crazy like Bonham, but i think that him adding a little more double bass or something would kick their sound up a notch. Just some suggestion, no actual complaints with their live performance though.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • less sleater kinney?
    I miss you hippiemom.
  • less sleater kinney?

Hey, sleater kinney rules!

And I don't think PJ could do much to improve their already stellar live performance except for yes.. #3; like the show i went to they came out and ROCKED the place: go, animal, save you, once, evenflow, do the evolution, ect.. but chilled out with a couple songs like present tense and then took a 15 minute break.. came out did an acoustic set... then another break.. came back with a couple more slow songs (so it was over an hour of slow paced action right after being rocked to the core) until we finally got jolted back into it with a "war; what is it good for?" concert participation at the end of Daughter and finished off strong.

Not too much of a complaint tho.. overall great show, i'll not soon forget. It should also be noted I was sick this night too.
    "I'm like an opening band for the sun"
  • goto_lgoto_l Posts: 1,189
    Tell Matt to slow down, I get frustrated with all the old songs practically in double time. You lose the groove at that pace. Yes you get more songs when you shorten them by a minute(see Corduroy) with sheer pace, but you get a flat song. Maybe Matt played so many slow grinding songs with Soundgarden, that he just can't help but to fly through things??? Also as a guitarist & lover of the lead, it's hard to believe I'm saying this, but Mike needs to settle down a bit. Play more structure rather than leads for the sake of leads.
    You men eat your dinner
    Eat your pork and beans
    I eat more chicken
    Than any man ever seen

• If the band plays covers this year, I'd like to hear a different selection.
  • What I would *really* like to see live is the album version of Yellow Ledbetter. It sounds alright when they play it live, but it's nothing compared to the original version.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • Well the original version of Yellow Ledbetter doesnt have any actual words... It's Ed mumbling incoherent and oft undecipherable lyrics; while live.. the meaning and words tends to change with every time they play it; which I totally dig.
  • Bu$hleague wrote:
    Well the original version of Yellow Ledbetter doesnt have any actual words... It's Ed mumbling incoherent and oft undecipherable lyrics; while live.. the meaning and words tends to change with every time they play it; which I totally dig.

It does have words, they're just hard to understand, but I know them. I kinda like when they change the words, but not really. They just can't reproduce that great eerie feel of the album version.
  • You know them? Not even Mike knows the words.

But please enlighten me if you will.
    I do agree they lose the eerieness of the song during live performances; if they played it acoustically (ie: MTV Unplugged) i think they'd get that back... not that i find it necessary.
  • All from memory:

Unsealed
    On a porch, a letter sat
    Then you said, "I wanna leave it again"
    Once I saw him
    On a beach of weathered sand
    And on the sand, I wanna leave it again
    Yeah
    On a weekend
    I wanna wish it all away
    And I call out I say that I want what I said and I call out again
    And the reason
    Oughta leave her calm I know
    I said, "I didn't know whether I was the boxer or the bag"
    Ah yeah aha can't you seem them?
    Out on the porch, yeah
    But they don't wave
    I see them
    Round the front way, yeah
    And I know and I know
    I don't wanna stay
    Make me cry (Mike guitar solo)
    Oooh I see, I don't know uh something else
    I wanna drum it all away
    I said "I didn't, I didn't know whether I was the boxer or the bag"
    Ah yeah aha ha can't you see them
    Out on the porch, yeah
    But they don't wave
    I see them
    Round the front way, yeah
    And I know and I know
    I don't wanna stay-ee-aa-y at all
    I don't wanna stay-ay-ay-ay-ay
    I don't wanna stay-eeeaayeah
    I don't wanna stay
    I... don't wanna... yeah

(Mike guitar outro)
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    2 organ chords on Animal takes away from the sound not adding to it.

wtf? Organs on Animal? They actually did that? Yikes!
  • Bu$hleague wrote:
    It should also be noted I was sick this night too.

Why should that be noted? Not that I mind noting it, but why?
  • Lukin_ozLukin_oz Posts: 257
    Bu$hleague wrote:
    You know them? Not even Mike knows the words.

But please enlighten me if you will.
    I do agree they lose the eerieness of the song during live performances; if they played it acoustically (ie: MTV Unplugged) i think they'd get that back... not that i find it necessary.

Mikes guitar has its own words to yellow ledbetter... which in my opinion makes over 2/3's of the magic of the song.
    Those who dance are called insane by those who dont hear the music
  • BeavBeav Posts: 223
    I think their live sound is kind of muddy. I agree some songs need more distortion, like animal or go. It almost seems like Ed hates distortion because I never hear it on his guitar. Matts kit could stand to sound a little brighter also. I like how they keep the set list fresh but that means there's a chance that you'll be at a show where they play a setlist of your less favorite songs. That's what happened to me at Columbus '03. Still I was at a PJ show so what's there to complain about!
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)
  • the only gripe i have with backing vocals is they dont use them much. Low light, occasionally god's dice (when they actually play it), rear view mirror, all the others,.. sound beautiful.

i think we all want an organ cut back.. but who knows if boom is even touring this year?

i actually want to hear much less Alive and jeremy and much more rare things like Present Tense and NAIS, etc.. they seem to be so far evolved from the older hits.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Mike needs a little more gain in his sound, when he plays the Les Paul it's way too clean sounding, and the Strat is really clangy and inconsistent.
  • heyjoseheyjose Posts: 503
    I haven't really thought less organ, but more that I'd love to hear a good keys backing of songs like Low light, as they're done on the studio recording. I think I noticed Boom playing on In Hiding and Indifference, which I thought was a welcome addition. But I can see what you mean about the Hammond though, maybe its sound doesn't really suit some songs.

As for guitars, it'd be cool to hear a difference with the distortion.
    1995: Melbourne 1
    1998: Melbourne 1, 2, 3
    2003: Sydney 1, 2, 3, Melbourne 1, 2, 3
    2006: Sydney 1, 2, Melbourne 1, 2, 3, Sydney 3, Newcastle, Adelaide 1, 2, Perth
    2009: LA 1, 2, Melbourne, Sydney
    2014: Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney

• mad22mad22 Posts: 82
    Oh yeah...retire Yellow Ledbetter for a while. And cut back on the covers.

That's funny, to me a setlist is incomplete without Yellow Ledbetter, whenever i'm looking for a boot if it doesn't have YL as a closer i don't want it....

=P
    Egos are left at the door, elitism is non-existant and we are all joining together for a common goal: to raise funds and awareness while living the awesome life of a Pearl Jam Fan.

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org/
  • heyjoseheyjose Posts: 503
    I guess YL always brings it on home.

God how I'd love to hear more of Low light, In Hiding, Who You Are, Smile (but chorus needs lifting).. but hey, we're not the bosses. :)
    1995: Melbourne 1
    1998: Melbourne 1, 2, 3
    2003: Sydney 1, 2, 3, Melbourne 1, 2, 3
    2006: Sydney 1, 2, Melbourne 1, 2, 3, Sydney 3, Newcastle, Adelaide 1, 2, Perth
    2009: LA 1, 2, Melbourne, Sydney
    2014: Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney

• Beav wrote:
    I think their live sound is kind of muddy. I agree some songs need more distortion, like animal or go. It almost seems like Ed hates distortion because I never hear it on his guitar. Matts kit could stand to sound a little brighter also. I like how they keep the set list fresh but that means there's a chance that you'll be at a show where they play a setlist of your less favorite songs. That's what happened to me at Columbus '03. Still I was at a PJ show so what's there to complain about!

About the muddiness. I saw two show sin 05, one was crystal clear (calgary), one was muddy(edmonton). alot had to do with the structure of the building, naturally, as a hockey fan i have been in both as well and have see what they are like with houselights, and the area which soundwaves could hit is much different in both. The reason for muddiness is definately venue, not the gear. Rexall Place in edmonton is known to have terribel acoustics, the RHCP have even said one of thier worst sounding shows was edmonton. Im in school now for sound production...i have learned alot about this, it makes sense now that one show was muddy, and the other wasn't. to get into complete detail woudl take pages, but mark my word, its teh venue, not the band that is muddy. And about matts drums...he chooses the sound remember, its the drums and cymbals that aren't bright, his cymbals dont ring, they chime, (mainly z customs on the 05 tour) so its why you dont get that clear ring, also his toms are deep, his bass is deep, and he plays quick, hard to get a crispness out, whereas dave A. was primarily a "top end" drum player, prefering heavier use of snare, hi-hats and cymbals, its all a science you can see, its awesome

HM

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    My complaints are little buggery things:

1.) Boom. I love Boom, but like it's already be talked about, he has his place, and sometimes he doesn't. I don't like the Hammond in the fast rockers, but in the slow bluesy songs, he's a must. I like the slower stuff better with Boom than without. For example: Man of the hour. I probably wouldn't like this song much without Boom.

2.) Mike's leads: It seems like he's gotten tired of playing the same old stuff and is just playing for the sake of playing rather than adding to the songs. With emotion and concentration comes greatness. I'd like to see the reintroduction of his leads. Think back to '98. The stuff he was playing was great, but in '05, his playing seemed uninspired.

3.) Tones: I like Stone's tone. I think Mike could use a little bit higher of a gain structure for some stuff. Even a boost would be nice. I like Ed's 2000 tones the best. '03 was pretty good to, and I don't care much for '05.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    No one has stated the obvious, so I guess it's up to me.

MORE COWBELL!!!

:D
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Boom plays more PIANO (like at Benaroya Hall 'Black') and more Hunger Strike.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    how can they be better live?

2 Words:

CLOG DANCERS!
  • FNYNKEZFNYNKEZ Posts: 75
    Mike and Stone going back to 4x12 cabs. More crunch and heavier sound
    I never really cared about you
    I never really got to thinking about you
  • evenflowevenflow Posts: 401
    I know, it's an unpopular choice for most PJ fans, but I could listen to Alive every night and never get tired of it. It's the first song that I ever heard from the band, and the reason why I decided to sit down and really learn to play guitar- instead of just chords and goofin' around. Plus- it means an extended Mikey solo- which is always an excellent thing. Whenever the solos goin' on and the whole crowd is singing along with the energy and emotion of that song- I honestly don't understand how anybody can not love this masterpiece, let alone a diehard PJ fan.

But I guess what would really make the show better to me, is if they called me up on stage to jam with 'em. Yeah- it might ruin it for everybody else- but come on...

Let's get a petition going; let Kris get up on stage and jam ;)
    It's all about the music...

http://www.myspace.com/christianjame (Music Page)

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/19598996 (Personal Page)