Options

If there are 8,000 people ahead of me in a Ticketmaster queue...

BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,328
trying for tickets at a venue that has a capacity of about 800, what are my odds of getting tickets?
I gather speed from you fucking with me.

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,053
    BF25394 said:
    trying for tickets at a venue that has a capacity of about 800, what are my odds of getting tickets?
    You have 2 chances.  Slim and none.
  • Options
    edited April 17
    So you're saying there's a chance! (Only 6,677 people ahead of me now. Somehow, 1,400 people have not exhausted the 800 tickets.)
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,852
    $$$$$$$ will turn many away. likely those are the seats left....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    4,783 people ahead of me...
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,754
    edited April 19
    Green Day?  Well OK then.  Good luck!
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    You realize that you are a paying member of the fan club of an aging multimillionaire group of rock stars, right?

Anyway, I'll return to doing my penance for doing literally nothing other than opening up a Ticketmaster page on the chance that I might luck into tickets to see a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame act whom I enjoy in a tiny club near my house.

Jesus, did people miss the spirit in which the original post was intended. 
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,835
    Did you get tix? Judas Priest?
    Asking for a friend...
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    You realize that you are a paying member of the fan club of an aging multimillionaire group of rock stars, right?

Anyway, I'll return to doing my penance for doing literally nothing other than opening up a Ticketmaster page on the chance that I might luck into tickets to see a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame act whom I enjoy in a tiny club near my house.

Hey, sorry, I do hope you get to see your band, whatever one you're in line for.  I'm just suggesting that when the odds are massively stacked against you, maybe consider an alternative. 
    Sorry, I meant no harm.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    BF25394 said:

Hey, sorry, I do hope you get to see your band, whatever one you're in line for.  I'm just suggesting that when the odds are massively stacked against you, maybe consider an alternative. 
    Sorry, I meant no harm.
    Your post made it seem like you knew which show I was referring to (which was Green Day at the Echoplex in L.A.). Why did you mention "aging multi-millionaire rock stars"? I hadn't said anything about who I was trying for.

I heard they were playing this club show tomorrow, with tickets on sale tomorrow, and I figured I'd take a shot at a ticket since that would be a cool experience. The last time I saw them, it was thirty years ago, the show was free, and it ended prematurely because 100,000 people showed up and chaos ensued. All I did was log onto Ticketmaster, and the reason I posted was that I thought it was funny that they would tell me I'm behind 8,000 people in line when the place only has a capacity of 800. It was just running in the background while I did other things. When I finally got to the head of the line, it told me the show was sold out, which of course it was. It was probably sold out in three minutes but they kept up with the pretense of the queue for at least thirty minutes.
  • Options
    edited April 18
    If it's close enough Go hang outside.  maybe a line up for will call scores...I caught the black crows at cbgbs a long time ago. Played under a diff name. Pay at the door.They performed like they were in a stadium  It was so dang loud it probably sounded better outside! A couple people got in by sneaking through the back.
    Something to think abour.
    Post edited by Loujoe on
  • Options
    edited April 18
    BF25394 said:
    brianlux said:
    BF25394 said:

Sorry, I meant no harm.
    Your post made it seem like you knew which show I was referring to (which was Green Day at the Echoplex in L.A.). Why did you mention "aging multi-millionaire rock stars"? I hadn't said anything about who I was trying for.

I heard they were playing this club show tomorrow, with tickets on sale tomorrow, and I figured I'd take a shot at a ticket since that would be a cool experience. The last time I saw them, it was thirty years ago, the show was free, and it ended prematurely because 100,000 people showed up and chaos ensued. All I did was log onto Ticketmaster, and the reason I posted was that I thought it was funny that they would tell me I'm behind 8,000 people in line when the place only has a capacity of 800. It was just running in the background while I did other things. When I finally got to the head of the line, it told me the show was sold out, which of course it was. It was probably sold out in three minutes but they kept up with the pretense of the queue for at least thirty minutes.
    Was it a show in the bay area?

I'm sorry, the 30yr ago show.  Where was it?
  • Options
    It was a free show at the Hatch Shell on the Esplanade in Boston in the fall of 1994. I think they were expecting 20,000 people and then 100,000 showed up because the band was blowing up right at that time. They cut the show short because things were getting out of control. I didn't even realize that was what happened. I was up at the rail and was actually getting crushed against it. I bailed out and headed to the back. I thought the show ended because they were done playing. When I got back to my college campus, my girlfriend came up to me all worried because she had seen on the news that the show was aborted because people were rioting. I had no idea.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,928
    edited April 18
    BF25394 said:
    It was a free show at the Hatch Shell on the Esplanade in Boston in the fall of 1994. I think they were expecting 20,000 people and then 100,000 showed up because the band was blowing up right at that time. They cut the show short because things were getting out of control. I didn't even realize that was what happened. I was up at the rail and was actually getting crushed against it. I bailed out and headed to the back. I thought the show ended because they were done playing. When I got back to my college campus, my girlfriend came up to me all worried because she had seen on the news that the show was aborted because people were rioting. I had no idea.
    Green Day. WFNX had booked them months before they blew up. What a wild night.
    Post edited by JimmyV on

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    BF25394 said:
    Yes-- I had mentioned that it was Green Day in a prior post. I wasn't intending to be vague. Were you there, too?

Oddly enough, something vaguely similar happened a couple of years later, in terms of a band getting big all of a sudden. I was in charge of the Spring Weekend Concert Committee at my college and we booked the Fugees as our headliners. They had had some modest success at that point, but nothing too big, and we got them for about $20,000, if I recall correctly. It might have even been $15,000. Anyway, between the booking and the show, they blew up. Their album hit No. 2 the week of the show and they were flying back and forth from L.A. to New York doing press and TV in the days leading up to our little gig. Lauryn Hill ended up passing out from exhaustion during the show. I was backstage and didn't see this happen, but I heard one of the Fugees saying, on mic, "Ambulance, ambulance." I thought it was part of the song. The next thing I know, I look up and I see the limp body of Lauryn Hill being carried through the backstage area to the tour bus parked out back of the arena. I swear to God I thought she was dead. I had this flash vision of all these TV reporters shoving mikes in my faces demanding answers from me as the person ostensibly in charge of this celebration-turned-tragedy. Fortunately, she was O.K. But, to this day, I can't hear "Fu-Gee-La" without breaking into a cold sweat.
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,910
    BF25394 said:
    JimmyV said:
    BF25394 said:
    Yes-- I had mentioned that it was Green Day in a prior post. I wasn't intending to be vague. Were you there, too?

Oddly enough, something vaguely similar happened a couple of years later, in terms of a band getting big all of a sudden. I was in charge of the Spring Weekend Concert Committee at my college and we booked the Fugees as our headliners. They had had some modest success at that point, but nothing too big, and we got them for about $20,000, if I recall correctly. It might have even been $15,000. Anyway, between the booking and the show, they blew up. Their album hit No. 2 the week of the show and they were flying back and forth from L.A. to New York doing press and TV in the days leading up to our little gig. Lauryn Hill ended up passing out from exhaustion during the show. I was backstage and didn't see this happen, but I heard one of the Fugees saying, on mic, "Ambulance, ambulance." I thought it was part of the song. The next thing I know, I look up and I see the limp body of Lauryn Hill being carried through the backstage area to the tour bus parked out back of the arena. I swear to God I thought she was dead. I had this flash vision of all these TV reporters shoving mikes in my faces demanding answers from me as the person ostensibly in charge of this celebration-turned-tragedy. Fortunately, she was O.K. But, to this day, I can't hear "Fu-Gee-La" without breaking into a cold sweat.
    The only time something like this happened to me was in 1995 I saw in a local DC zine (Where I lived at the time)that Mike Watt was playing at a smallish club and a band called the Foo Fighters were opening. I didn't think much of it. A day or so later I read a tiny blurb in Rolling Stone that Dave Grohl was starting a new band called the Foo Fighters. I decided to get tickets to that show. I had my tickets for months. In the meantime everyone started hearing about the Foo Fighters. Then the day of the show the radio announced that Eddie Vedder was playing guitar with Mike Watt and drums with Hovercraft (who we then found out was his wife's band). When we got to the venue, there were hundreds of people outside trying to find their way in. I had never been so happy to already have tickets. I also got front row right in front of EV. There was a lot of pushing and crowding. After the show Dave Grohl was just walking around the bar. I told him I liked his new band and hoped I would get to see them again some day. He was really nice. When we left the club, there were still hundreds of people outside waiting around to see who would come out I guess. 

• Options
    I wuz there too! But tramps nyc. Same deal. Got tix to see nirvana's old drummers band. No hype. Easy to get. Til showtime everyone was flipping out. Heard the second night even people with tix got shut out. No riots. I did get punched in the face in the pit though.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,070
    I started going to shows in college in the very late 90s so my little club show stories are all Kid Rock, Creed, Nickelback, etc. What a time to be alive.
  • Options
    chittychitty Posts: 582
    Nickelback in late 90's was hard rock. Really good first two albums, was great to see them in small clubs many times
  • Options
    edited April 19
    I hope you get to see Green Day!  I know some people make fun of, even massively slam Green Day as phony punk rock (I don't recall them ever calling themselves punk), but in my book, they are A-OK (yeah, I'm biased, they got their start in the same town I spent my first 11 months).  Besides, any band that's good enough for Paul, is good enough for me.

Coachella 2014 Billie Joe Armstrong Joins The Replacements

• Options
    pjl44 said:
    I started going to shows in college in the very late 90s so my little club show stories are all Kid Rock, Creed, Nickelback, etc. What a time to be alive.
    Oof. You should have petitioned your parents to be born five years sooner.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,070
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Oof. You should have petitioned your parents to be born five years sooner.
    There are a few good ones sprinkled in but yeah it's a lot of that. (Look up the SnoCore 2000 tour - System Of A Down, Incubus, and Mr. Bungle.)
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    I hope you get to see Green Day!  I know some people make fun of, even massively slam Green Day as phony punk rock (I don't recall them ever calling themselves punk), but in my book, they are A-OK (yeah, I'm biased, they got their start in the same town I spent my first 11 months).  Besides, any band that's good enough for Paul, is good enough for me.

Greenday is most definitely punk.  The songs they cover and bands they site as references, all punk.  They were also in the punk scene in the bay area when they started.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Greenday is most definitely punk.  The songs they cover and bands they site as references, all punk.  They were also in the punk scene in the bay area when they started.

The "Is Green Day punk?" argument has been a long standing one and I certainly admit they have punk influences.  But I always hesitate to pigeon hole them as "punk" because I think that puts too much of a limit on the kind of work they've done over the years.  I would be OK with going along with calling them "rock", however.  :lol: