Options

Did Some Theaters Not Receive the Dolby Mix?

dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 359
edited April 17 in The Porch
Anyone else notice Jeff’s intro was loaded with reverb and echo? Seems like maybe some theaters did not receive the Dolby mix. Sounded terrible at my location. There was a big f**k up somewhere…..

Comments

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,422
    I think that happened everywhere
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    tylerjtylerj Indiana Posts: 286
    My theater definitely got the Atmos version cause there were moments where the spatial audio was evident. It still sounded way low in volume and like it was recorded under water.
    Chicago, Aug 24, 2009 
    Noblesville, May 7, 2010
    PJ20 Night 1, 2011
    Cincinnati, Oct. 1, 2014
    Milwaukee, Oct. 20, 2014
    Wrigley Field, Aug 20, 2016
    Wrigley Field, Aug 22, 2016
    Wrigley Field, Aug 18, 2018
    Wrigley Field, Aug 20, 2018
    St. Louis, Sept. 18, 2022
    Chicago, Sept. 5, 2023
    Chicago, Sept. 7, 2023

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,422
    From my understanding is that the theaters didn't use all the speakers. Someone said they used the front speakers that's used for the end credits. There were parts of Dark Matter and Running that were missing. Since we know those songs. So you could spot that.

And they didn't play the audio that they used for the tour announcement. I thought that was supposed to be at the beginning of the record. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Seems like there were problems all around the country (and beyond). It’s pretty lame that so many had this experience. Hearing similar stories on RM. 

I’m not complaining about hearing the record early but it’s bittersweet when it SOUNDS as bad as it did  - at least where I was. 
  • Options
    Sorry fella. This deserves its own thread. It’s not a nit-pick level complaint. 

Anyway, seems like maybe the employees at some locations didn’t know how to properly operate the Dolby equipment. 

You’d think instructions would be passed along to each location. 

Nothing beats the comfort of your own home studio (setup). Lesson learned!

• Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,771
    There was definitely a misfire at Regal Theaters.  No question.  It was like listening to an ipod shuffle.  I went to the record store preview on Sunday and it was WAY WAY better done at the record store I went to, they played it through their performance stage speaker set up
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    PB11041 said:
    There was definitely a misfire at Regal Theaters.  No question.  It was like listening to an ipod shuffle.  I went to the record store preview on Sunday and it was WAY WAY better done at the record store I went to, they played it through their performance stage speaker set up
    ugh! I debated going to my nearest record store party but chose the theater instead (though to be fair, there were other considerations in my case).

oh well.  Friday morning I will be down in my basement studio with Sonos speakers and lots of espresso BLASTING DM. 
  • Options
    droptheleash9droptheleash9 Posts: 1,341
    Went to a Showcase Cinemas south of Boston and the mix was terrible. Was very nervous at first that this was how the album would sound but when Dark Matter and Running both sounded like they were being played from speakers submerged in water, then I knew it was a theater issue.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,930
    Went to a Showcase Cinemas south of Boston and the mix was terrible. Was very nervous at first that this was how the album would sound but when Dark Matter and Running both sounded like they were being played from speakers submerged in water, then I knew it was a theater issue.
    Legacy Place or Patriot Place? Had tix for Foxboro but couldn't make it. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,647
    sound at landmark in Cambridge was awful

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,070
    sound at landmark in Cambridge was awful
    I was there too. It was not good at all.
  • Options
    bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,069
    If anyone went in Richmond, it was bad. Call and get a refund.
  • Options
    seanwonseanwon Posts: 284
    PB11041 said:
    Not all of them. Sounded great in Albany Regal.
    1996: 9/29 Randall's Island 2,  10/1 Buffalo                  2000: 8/27 Saratoga Springs
    2003: 4/29 Albany,  5/2 Buffalo,  7/9 MSG 2                   2006: 5/12 Albany,  6/3 East Rutherford 2
    2008: 6/27 Hartford                 2009: 10/27 Philadelphia 1              2010: 5/15 Hartford,   5/21 MSG 2
    2013: 10/15 Worcester 1,  10/25 Hartford                       2014: 10/1 Cincinnati
    2016: 5/2 MSG 2,   8/5 Fenway 1,  11/7 Temple of the Dog MSG
    2018: 9/2 Fenway 1
    2020: 3/30 MSG             2022: 9/11 MSG            2023: 9/10 Noblesville
  • Options
    pbultimatepbultimate Posts: 587
    And people paid money for this?  Complaints are warranted if the sound was shit. 
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,151
    edited April 18
    When I looked at theater options in Atlanta, out of the 5 or 6, only one theater was labeled/advertised as having Dolby sound. It was the AMC. When I checked the labeling at Landmark and the others, they were all labeled standard audio. I went with the AMC, for the Dolby, but mostly because my A List membership got me a free ticket.

It may be that some of those theaters didn’t have Dolby/Atmos capability?
    Post edited by CarryTheZero on
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,873

Showcase in Lowell was excellent. Maybe a little quiet, but these old ears don't really mind that. Definitely had spatial audio as that super-effected guitar line in Dark Matter was buzzing all around us (among other examples).

Pretty sure Jeff's audio in the intro was just weird - sounded weird for us, too.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    I still enjoyed it but the volume should have been much louder at our theatre.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    When I looked at theater options in Atlanta, out of the 5 or 6, only one theater was labeled/advertised as having Dolby sound. It was the AMC. When I checked the labeling at Landmark and the others, they were all labeled standard audio. I went with the AMC, for the Dolby, but mostly because my A List membership got me a free ticket.

It may be that some of those theaters didn’t have Dolby/Atmos capability?
    I sat in the Dolby Cinema (can't miss it b/c there are big signs as you walk into that specific theater - they do not spare expense letting you know!). Then, of course, the whole 5 minute vignette on Dolby atoms before it began, along with the signage INSIDE that theater.

You could tell it was, but either the mix received was not dolby and being played through dolby system OR, they completely botched something there at AMC.

either way, if was loud but sounded like dark matter being played in a tin can.
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    The description said "in Dolby Atmos, where available". My local Alamo Drafthouose cinema definitely did not screen it in the Atmos-equipped theater. I called for a manager two songs into the first spin because it was clearly not in Atmos. He explained that they chose not to use the format, which was disappointing. But, couldn't let it ruin my experience in the moment.
    Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 948
    Caveat all of this with I dont know what Atmos is but assumed it meant to be something superior sounding.,,,

I went to one that said it had dolby atmos, and Jeffs intro sounded all weird (maybe not mixed in Atmos) but I didnt love the sound. At first I thought it was the album production but when Dark Matter came on and I could compare to what I'd heard before I realised the cinema wasnt the best sounding place for this.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,070
    It seems like there were a lot of theaters that just didn't put much effort into the presentation. What kind of mixes do we have? What can the individual theater we chose support? How do we optimize sound? I was still happy enough to hear the songs early but (at least at my theater) it doesn't feel like they spent any time getting things set up properly.
  • Options
    BH76306BH76306 Posts: 73
    Mentioned this in another thread, but the AMC Dolby Atmos theater in Spokane sounded *incredible.* Jeff's intro was all echo-y but Im pretty sure that was intentional for whatever reason. But the album itself sounded better than just about anything I've experienced audio-wise. Sucks it wasn't a uniform experience for others.
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,396
    Listening experience at home with my airpods max and apple music for tonight puts the theater to shame. 

I didn’t pay close enough attention to see if mine was dolby atmos beforehand, but even if it was supposed to be, its clear that’s not what I experienced.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016