What can I expect in a recording studio?

surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
edited May 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Background: I'm a pretty sloppy/poor guitarist but I think I can write some decent songs even if I can't play some of them all that well. Through friends I can call in some favors and get some free studio time and musicians for a weekend. All it will cost me is booze, food and coke (I think).

Questions;
1. Some of the musicians have sold millions of albums. Will they laugh me out of the studio when I try to show them songs I can barely play?
2. How much can I expect to get done in a weekend if these guys have never heard the songs before? And by songs I just mean guitar and vocals. We'd have to be working out drums and bass and leads on the fly.
3. Is it worth the risk of calling in a lot of favours and then owing some? When all I'd end up getting for the trouble is probably a pretty cool souvenir. As much as my ego would like to think other wise there's no market in rock for non-performing songwriters.
“One good thing about music,
when it hits you, you feel to pain.
So brutalize me with music.”
~ Bob Marley
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    How in the world are you gettin to record with people that have sold millions of records? Its kinda questionable territory. You dont wanna waste their time, if you arent that good, but if you have really good song, and dont plan on performing, maybe you could sell your songs.

If you dont know the musicians you are gonna play with, I would copyright your stuff. You cant trust anybody with that stuff, esp. if it has any hooks at all. Make a cheap, but audible recording, mail that to yourself, and leave it unopened.
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    How in the world are you gettin to record with people that have sold millions of records? Its kinda questionable territory. You dont wanna waste their time, if you arent that good, but if you have really good song, and dont plan on performing, maybe you could sell your songs.
    Friends of some friends. I've never met them except to just say hi at parties in passing. You wouldn't believe the recording studio either. I have people pushing me to get them recorded. Two of the songs I've had a couple people say would be hits. The hook in one is pure arena rock. This is the only way I know to get them recorded without dropping a fair amount of cash.
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    If you dont know the musicians you are gonna play with, I would copyright your stuff. You cant trust anybody with that stuff, esp. if it has any hooks at all. Make a cheap, but audible recording, mail that to yourself, and leave it unopened.
    This never occured to me. Thanks for the heads up.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    I didnt really give you much of an answer. I would do some wood sheddin before you actually go in to record. At least get the songs you wanna record so tight that you impress yourself. Also, if you can get a rough recording mail get it to the people you are recording with. If you can do it and not come off as a hack, do it.
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    What your proposing to do is tricky, even if you have an original prior to going into a studio. The percentage of the changes made to turn your writings into a recording will make the difference of copywrite.

The best thing you could do for yourself is ensure that you get "songwriter" copywrite. Ensure that you sing or read the full lyrics of your song (this should be recorded at the session). Just a simple statement that "you'd like to read/sing and play the song you wrote. Note the part that you feel is the "killer riff". Ensure that you get an "original" demo of the "first" session, even if it is incomplete. After that, depending on how much the musicians contribute and as you are fully dependent on them, they can claim limited or full copywrite to the music. .

Friend or not, all bets are off once you walk into a studio to cut a demo, so be careful if you seriously think you have a good song.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    I hope you have an amazing time and make the most incredible music ever heard, but you have a big mountain to climb based on what you have shared.

I usually say count on one hour of studio work for every minute of music, but in your case, I would count on 3 hours for every minute of tracking that will be worth keeping. This does not include setup or tear-down, or mixing. For mixing, I usually say count on 4 hours per minute of music. So...

30 minutes of music for experienced musicians = 30 hours + setup, tones, and tear-down at the end of the session

mixing = 120 hours.

for you...90 to 120 hours of recording for 30 minutes worth listening to more than once That would be safe considering you have to teach songs that by your own admission you can barely play.

A weekend could be Friday-Sunday, 12 hour days. That would give you about 30 hours of record time, or 10 minutes.
    enharmonic wrote:
    I hope you have an amazing time and make the most incredible music ever heard, but you have a big mountain to climb based on what you have shared.

I usually say count on one hour of studio work for every minute of music, but in your case, I would count on 3 hours for every minute of tracking that will be worth keeping. This does not include setup or tear-down, or mixing. For mixing, I usually say count on 4 hours per minute of music. So...

30 minutes of music for experienced musicians = 30 hours + setup, tones, and tear-down at the end of the session

mixing = 120 hours.

for you...90 to 120 hours of recording for 30 minutes worth listening to more than once That would be safe considering you have to teach songs that by your own admission you can barely play.

A weekend could be Friday-Sunday, 12 hour days. That would give you about 30 hours of record time, or 10 minutes.
    It just seems like this huge uphill battle. And a battle that my experience hasn't really prepared me for. The thought of calling in many favors and then owing a whole bunch of them for ten minutes of music seems like slim payback.

I think my next step may be to corner my ex-wife's cousin at the next extended family get together. He was and still is the lead singer in a huge 80's arena rock band (worldwide album sales well over 20 million). It just seems like setting myself up for dissapointment in going to a cokehead for advice. That and he doesn't come off as the most intelligent guy in the world.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Hey bro, don't get discouraged. You might be ready to lay down your songs, but don't be in a mad rush to call in favors until you're sure you have something. This could end up costing you big. You would be better off getting an M-Box with Pro Tools LE (PTLE is free), and a mic (SM-57) for about 600 bucks. This would be plenty for you to have a setup that you could use to capture your ideas. It would also give you a lot of experience in the basics of how to get something recorded so you're not learning on someone's favor time...or worse...your own dime.

That's what I'd do. Recording yourself will also make you a better player and help you realize your ideas before you rally the troops and have a go at the studio.

Good luck to you. Don't be discouraged...you can do it if you put in the time to do it right. Otherwise, you will just piss yourself off.
  • Im concerned that your motivation seems to be making money and rubbing shoulders with rock stars before you have even written a decent song.
    There are thousands are bands and musicians that have good songs and put in hours of practice but cannot get any recognition.
    The saying "dont run before you can walk" seems to come to mind.

**I am also very concerned about "all it will cost me is alcohol,food and coke ! " only one of these is essential for a recording session.

On a positive note, you first need to write and record some of your so songs onto any basic audio tape recorder and play them to your freinds and anyone who will listen , if they are as good as you think they will be then people will want to practice with you develop how your songs should sound , a song written in your room on an acoustic guitar will sound quite different played loud with a band in a practice room.
    Once you have practiced and become a tight unit then think about doing some local shows to a small crowd, you will soon know if your songs are any good from the response you get, if you raise the roof and people want a CD from you then it is time to think about recording.
    Somebody once told me - "If you cant keep the attention of 10 people then you have no chance with 10,000"
    enharmonic wrote:
    Good luck to you. Don't be discouraged...you can do it if you put in the time to do it right. Otherwise, you will just piss yourself off.
    Thanks for the advice. After talking this over with a few freinds I think I've come to the conclusion that I'll do a home recording thing to the best of my abilities, just guitar, bass and vocals. I think it could be fun to learn home recording software.
    Then I'll enter it in the local radio station yearly band contest. Mostly to say to myself that I wasn't afraid to put it out there.
    I'm too old and too much a family guy to chase this as a dream, and besides it's not my dream. Had that chance 20+ years ago and passed it up. But there's just some music that, as Robert Plant would say, "it's in him and it's gotta come out".
    ~ Bob Marley
    Im concerned that your motivation seems to be making money and rubbing shoulders with rock stars before you have even written a decent song.
    If I wanted to rub shoulders with rock stars I would have hung out with my ex-wife's cousin and his band and entourage when I had the chances. I've been to a few really cool events with the guy because I really liked some of the bands playing and also passed up lots of events.
    This is about me finding my own way through the jungle. I'm pretty sure I could just call this guy up and ask him and his guitarist and drummer to help me but I know I'd lose control of what I'm wanting to do then. I do wish I knew the drummer better though. He's managed to play a few really cool, instantly recognizable beats, something I have zero ability with.
    There's a damn near orchestra in my head with a couple of the songs. My goal is to capture at least 10% of what I hear. That's it.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • If your guitar playing is not up to speed, why don't you get together with a
    decent player and make a four track of your songs with him playing and a drum machine. You don't want to sit there and struggle through playing your songs to these guys. 1) Their impression of the song will not be what it would be with a different recording and 2) It's been my experience that the more sucessful a musician is, the less patience they have for mediocrity. Put your best foot forward, bring in a four track recording that has been well put together and let them work from that.
  • TroyTroy Posts: 12
    I dont care what you think it is going to cost you...time is money.

If you go into a recording studio with professional musicians and you cannot play your own songs or have them written and arranged you will look like a chump! I am not calling you a chump now..just giving you the heads up.

On top of this you obviously dont want to waste anyones time and you would be best to get a decent player or yourself up to speed on playing the tunes very well before stepping into a recording booth so that your time in the studio will not be wasted. Make the most of it and get the best recordings of your best songs done.

Producers and Techs getting shitty when people come into their work space unprepared.
  • yenraekyenraek Posts: 21
    I live down the road from the cheapest professional studio in the southern hemisphere.(apparently) :)
    A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw
    Delivered him wings, "Hey, look at me now

MY BAND!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBbxAIop_HY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a1Ay1BUXXQ&search=stiletto%20

jay_2_the_kay@hotmail.com