Options

Reopen the vault...

2»

Comments

• Options
    CornishManCornishMan Cornwall, UK Posts: 442
    edited April 12
    I've said it before. if Vaults are done, I'd love to see a "best of the bootlegs" replace them. Theres tons of officially released shows that would sound great mastered for vinyl.

Completely agree with this.  I've been assuming there is probably not much left from the pre-bootleg era in their archives (at least not full complete shows of a quality worthy of release), otherwise we probably would have seen them by now, rather than them releasing things like Moline, Las Vegas, Atlanta, The Vic and The Moore which had all previously been officially released in some capacity before they were released as a vault vinyl.  If they had tons of unreleased shows available in the archives surely they would have picked something fresh rather those that were already available?

So assuming that is the case, I'd be more than happy for them to release some of the best shows from the bootleg era on vinyl as part of the vault series.  Any of the Gorge shows, Seattle 2000, Mansfield or MSG 2003, Leeds 2014.  Countless great shows that would be very welcome on vinyl, although I appreciate not everyone is bothered about the vinyl format.

To be honest I prefer many of the bootleg-era shows anyway - With more albums the setlists are more varied and interesting.
    Post edited by CornishMan on
    London #1 2000, Reading 2006, London 2007, London 2009, London 2010, Manchester #1 2012, Manchester #2 2012, Manchester 2012 (EV), Milton Keynes 2014, London #2 2017 (EV), London #1 2018, London #2 2018, London #1 2022, London #2 2022.
  • Options
    jgregory89jgregory89 Las Vegas Posts: 138
    mace1229 said:
    Zod said:
    I think it is done and something else will come and replace it. 
    I doubt it.  Vaults are like printing money for them. 
    Probably not?  Probably generates a few hundred thousand in profit?  Not all that much when divided 5 days.   They make way more selling merch at concerts, and selling tickets to concerts :)
    That may be true, but its not like Stone is out there pressing the copies himself 12 hours a day for 3 months.
    All the work involved for them is someone in management says "Is this show okay for the next vault?"
    The band replies "Yes."
    A year later, after costs and they split profits 5 ways,  they get a check for 50k in the mail. Not too bad.
    Exactly, easy money for them regardless of how many ways the profit is divided.  It's not like they've got older vaults sitting on the shelf collecting dust in the warehouse, they sell out.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,985
    edited April 12
    Another possibility is I'd love to see them bootleg the bootleggers and do what Neil did with his Official Bootleg Series. I'd love to see those old Import CDs (Chrome Hearts, Kiss the Stone, Blizzard) of radio broadcasts cut to wax and sold with blown up original art from the bootlegs. 

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    marumarukomarumaruko Frankfurt / Calgary Posts: 97
    I've said it before. if Vaults are done, I'd love to see a "best of the bootlegs" replace them. Theres tons of officially released shows that would sound great mastered for vinyl.

Completely agree with this.  I've been assuming there is probably not much left from the pre-bootleg era in their archives (at least not full complete shows of a quality worthy of release), otherwise we probably would have seen them by now, rather than them releasing things like Moline, Las Vegas, Atlanta, The Vic and The Moore which had all previously been officially released in some capacity before they were released as a vault vinyl.  If they had tons of unreleased shows available in the archives surely they would have picked something fresh rather those that were already available?

So assuming that is the case, I'd be more than happy for them to release some of the best shows from the bootleg era on vinyl as part of the vault series.  Any of the Gorge shows, Seattle 2000, Mansfield or MSG 2003, Leeds 2014.  Countless great shows that would be very welcome on vinyl, although I appreciate not everyone is bothered about the vinyl format.

To be honest I prefer many of the bootleg-era shows anyway - With more albums the setlists are more varied and interesting.
    I also listen to bootlegs primarily (like an easy 80/20 split, I would say) and had to pace myself from buying too many, but a few best-ofs on vinyl - why not? 

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,018
    That's pretty much what the vault series was/is. Half of them were already available in one way or another. And if they've run out of unreleased stuff, just pushing something onto vinyl once a year will be cool. Pretty much what Moline was.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,941
    Did they run out of content in the vault or did they realize they could press anything onto vinyl and people would buy it?

Vinyl doesn't interest me. If it does you, great. Enjoy. But vinyl and vault are not synonymous. The vault was always about getting access to unreleased recordings. Shows that were actually in a vault. 

Pressing readily available shows onto wax is something very different. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,018
    edited April 12
    JimmyV said:
    Did they run out of content in the vault or did they realize they could press anything onto vinyl and people would buy it?

Vinyl doesn't interest me. If it does you, great. Enjoy. But vinyl and vault are not synonymous. The vault was always about getting access to unreleased recordings. Shows that were actually in a vault. 

I agree (except I do like the vinyl, I just agree with the point of the vault was about getting old, unreleased stuff out). But that seems like what the vault has turned into with 3 or 4 of the more recent releases being available already. Even more if you count 1 and 2. 
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,776
    Brett Eliason has been on record that he mastered around 30 shows for the Vault right off the rip when they asked him and that most were all pre official bootleg series.  So of the releases to date we know that Vault 1 (from PJ 20 and now on Vinyl), 3, 5, 6, 7, 9 fit that description.  But when they did Vault 7 they actually made a point of showing some work being done with the ADAT so that was done on the fly, not pre-baked.

2 was an easy mark when the series was CD only at first.  4 was also a hey that would be easy to press because that show was a test bed for the 2000 release series as two tracks had already been on the Light Years single.  8 and 10 fit that mode and 11 was a matter getting their hands on the mobile sound truck master which was probably a bit of wrangling with Sony to some extent (my guess it they did some agreed haggling to put out a reissue of Lo2L and Give Way).

So logic says there is at minimum around 20 shows that were already done back in 2010-11 by Brett just sitting and waiting, but I think you can reasonably say it may be closer to 25, given the sources for what has been issued to date.

1 of those shows is almost certainly Red Rock 6.20.1995 based on the timing of the 2010 10" single.  

But where the others all fall is anyone's guess.  But in any event there are somewhere between 20-25 that are in the can, unless Brett was misremembering. 

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,976

• Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,773
    JimmyV said:

Entirely true. The vault should be classics from the 90s or the random stuff that hasn't been released like London 2013.

"Vinyl releases" should be classics that we already have like Live At The Garden, etc.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,920
    Anything 96 except for Berlin.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,484
    PB11041 said:
    Brett Eliason has been on record that he mastered around 30 shows for the Vault right off the rip when they asked him and that most were all pre official bootleg series.  So of the releases to date we know that Vault 1 (from PJ 20 and now on Vinyl), 3, 5, 6, 7, 9 fit that description.  But when they did Vault 7 they actually made a point of showing some work being done with the ADAT so that was done on the fly, not pre-baked.

2 was an easy mark when the series was CD only at first.  4 was also a hey that would be easy to press because that show was a test bed for the 2000 release series as two tracks had already been on the Light Years single.  8 and 10 fit that mode and 11 was a matter getting their hands on the mobile sound truck master which was probably a bit of wrangling with Sony to some extent (my guess it they did some agreed haggling to put out a reissue of Lo2L and Give Way).

So logic says there is at minimum around 20 shows that were already done back in 2010-11 by Brett just sitting and waiting, but I think you can reasonably say it may be closer to 25, given the sources for what has been issued to date.

1 of those shows is almost certainly Red Rock 6.20.1995 based on the timing of the 2010 10" single.  

But where the others all fall is anyone's guess.  But in any event there are somewhere between 20-25 that are in the can, unless Brett was misremembering. 

What is your source for this?
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,985
    Yeah. I had never heard that before. Thats great info. 

Obviously the push is the new record. I wouldn’t be surprised if they go back to the late summer vault announcement again. 
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,776
    PB11041 said:

He has done a few interviews over the years.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    js87130js87130 Posts: 88
    JimmyV said:

It is obvious that at some point the band decided that vinyl would be the vehicle to release their vault shows.  It didn't start that way but here we are.  And when this message board had a thread requesting that the first 2 vault shows be released on vinyl they did exactly that.  When they pressed those 2 to vinyl I didn't take it as the band closing the vault.  They were just tying up loose ends.  And when those were taken care of they released Atlanta 1994.  Which I know has been essentially available for years but not as an official release of the entire show.  So I understand the view of Atlanta 1994 being a legit vault release. 

The only outlier really is Moline, which was readily available before they released it as part of the vault series.  Which tells me that their definition of vault is different than yours.  

But I totally get wanting more unreleased shows.  I think what they have been doing is pretty consistent and makes sense.  I feel pretty good about the vault series continuing with unreleased shows.  
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 634
    PB11041 said:
    PB11041 said:

Do you know where we could find any of these interviews?
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,606
    I would love Self Pollution Rafio, even if it was just the Pearl Jam set.  
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,484
    edited April 13
    kmcmanus said:
    PB11041 said:
    PB11041 said:

Do you know where we could find any of these interviews?

There's the one Brett did with Two Feet Thick after Vault #1 but no mention of how many he mastered:

And this one where he explains the process behind Live on Ten Legs:

There was also a history of the bootlegs with quotes from Brett in Deep 13: The Tour Issue.

Post edited by darthvedder on
  • Options
    Wouldn’t be mad about something juicy from a vintage 03, ‘05, or ‘06 tour. 
    Run for it, Marty.
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,773
    Wouldn’t be mad about something juicy from a vintage 03, ‘05, or ‘06 tour. 

House of Blues 2003?
    https://youtu.be/Xc03NWPAyXU?si=fB8DgVK4WtPN7pRb
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,868
    PB11041 said:

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,976